JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's not because I didn't like the evil "black rifle". It's not because I didn't think they were accurate enough. It's because I knew I'd be hooked. I also knew it was just a matter of time before I had one or 2. It seemed like all of my friends were pushing me to get one. Heck, even the guys at work were trying to get me on board with their 80% lower builds. So, about 3 months ago I bought my first AR. I wanted to keep it affordable enough, but also wanted it to look a certain way and also be accurate enough for my tastes. I found one here for $600.00 and took the plunge. It was a Rogue Defense and a very nice build. My hat goes off to Curts, for building this one. It's a dang nice rifle and shoots flawlessly. I threw a custom dust cover on it (NAVY SEABEES), in honor of my dad, who was a Seabee. I also put a better trigger in it, since the milspec was crappy. So a RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger went in. Here's my first AR:
kzD55Wd.jpg
a8HVpQ4.jpg
It shoots decent enough for an AR:
nEX0H3r.jpg

But not good enough.... :p

I saw a Noveske upper for sale here in the classifieds. I drug my feet and asked the seller a lot of questions, before finally buying it. It was a 20" medium contour varmint Noveske upper, with all Noveske parts. If I would have known then, what I know now, I wouldn't have hesitated!! It was a damn good deal and the seller is top notch in my book!!! Let's backtrack a bit though. While I was hesitating, I ended up buying a Left handed Stag. I was actually making my rounds, looking for a Noveske Lower for the upper I wanted to buy, when I ran across this Stag. When I saw it tucked away in the corner of the gunshop with a bunch of bolt actions, it looked kind of odd. The barrel was thick and heavy, but there was an AR attached to it. I could barely make it out because it was mostly blocked by the bolt action rifles. It had my curiousity peaked. I was not there to buy a rifle, but when I asked to see it and the gunshop worker handed it to me, he asked if I were left handed. He said it's been here for a while because, "no one wants a left handed AR". I said, Hmmmm... Maybe you should lower the price, since "no one wants one".... I ended up talking to the store manager and they dropped the price by $150.00. I was trying to keep my poker face on through the whole deal. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, damn I needed to find a Noveske lower!! However, the Stag is a beauty and I love that it kind of fell right into my lap. It's a sub moa (10 shot group) shooter too.
On to finding a Noveske lower. I felt bad because I told AREbay that I really wanted his Noveske upper, but needed to find a lower first. I opted to buy a stripped lower and build it myself. This was a great experience anyway and something every AR owner should do. It took me a little while to round up all the good parts I wanted for the build. I was being slightly critical, as I wanted most of the parts to be Noveske. Even down to the take down pins, I wanted it to be a Noveske. Mostly except for the Geissele SSA-E trigger. I'm glad the upper was still there when I decided to finally buy it. Here's the rifle after final assembly:
xr158bh.jpg
xwEVyXT.jpg
It's not as accurate as the Stag, but it also doesn't have a 24" heavy barrel like the stag does either. She shoots good enough for a 20" AR:
XZWxXTG.jpg

Now, my last AR purchase is kind of funny. I was on the lookout for some AR comp powder. I hit every store I could think of, from The Dalles to Oregon city. No luck on finding that powder, but I did see a dang nice AR build along the way. I didn't have the cash in hand to buy this AR, since I was looking for powder. However, the whole week I thought about this AR and what a fine looking build it was. I think it had more parts and pieces from every gun manufacture you could think of, but it was nice nonetheless. It consisted of a Spikes Tactical lower, Northtech Defense upper with Windham Weaponry 20" fluted varmint exterminator barrel, Noveske 16.7 NSR skinny rail, CMC flat blade single stage trigger and a few other good parts I'm forgetting about, but you get the picture. Kind of a cobbled together piece, but done up right IMHO. She's a shooter too. I was dang impressed with last weekend's outing. I had a lot of fun shooting this rifle and burned up 240 rounds, which is a lot for even me in one (actually 2) range session. The rifle kept plugging away and it remained accurate through all the testing. I was extremely happy with this one. It's a keeper. I ended up buying a Nickel Boron BCG for it from Right To Bear Arms. I also bought a better charging handle, since I really like the Ambidextrous Raptor on my Stag and Noveske, that's the one I chose for the Spikes Tactical. Am I hooked on AR's? Well, maybe so, but I knew it would happen... : The reason I didn't want to take the plunge... :oops:.. Now you guys know the the real story...:D...
PSLc4y9.jpg

SeaBees Can Do! My Dad was a 25 year USN Equipment Operator all the way from Korean war thru Viet Nam. Great Job!

That's very cool about your dad. I'm pretty proud of mine as well. Here's another close up of his rifle:
ZpvfT07.jpg

I bought 2 custom dust covers and put one on my Noveske as well...

Nice ARs. If you are running optics the 20" barrel is optimum for
accuracy. IMHO Longer barrel, longer 'Dwell Time'. Krieger and
WOA barrels dominate Highpower competition ARs.
I was pretty happy with my 200 yard target at the local match a couple
weeks ago. This is from the prone position 200 yards. No bipod only a sling
for support. Iron sight 223 AR with WOA barrel. :D 100-9X;) This rifle will
do .5 MOA from the bench with my reloads.
SFP 100-9X.JPG

Awesome shooting Ron. Thanks for posting. I always enjoy looking at your targets and getting your opinion/feedback.. Those WOA barrels are awesome. I hear about them all the time. I was pretty curious about the Windham Weaponry varmint barrel on my newest AR purchase so I took the plunge and bought it. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I want to work up a good load for it. Here's 2 10 shot groups shot one right after the other last weekend after purchasing the rifle:

wjf0Cud.jpg

These groups were shot with the loads I worked up for my Noveske and Stag 6HL. I also shot some groups with the 73gr. Hornady ELD that looked very promising. One of those groups was a hole that measured .730" (10 shots). I didn't have a lot of those 73 gr. pills loaded up though, so I'm excited to take more of those to the range... I'm hoping to beat my .833 moa average of my Stag 6HL.
tnXPezJ.jpg

Last Edited:
A favorite load for short range 300 yards or less. This is my 100 yard
load for 'reduced' matches. 53/52 SMK and 26gr. WW748. Winchester brass.
The 53 SMK (flat bottom) shoots a little tighter than the 52 SMK (boat tail).
The 53 SMK takes a little more care in bullet seating to not catch the lip
of the case. This load works in 1/9, 1/8, 1/7 twist barrels.:rolleyes: Right hand
target with LC brass WOA upper. Left hand target 5 shot group with a
20" Krieger barrel and 2X7 compact Leupold scope on the carry handle
for load testing. All @ 100 yards from the bench.
DSC00132.JPG

Last Edited:
Great photos and targets guys! Cool rifles!

I like the the unofficial Seabees motto of,

"First we dig them!" "Then they bury us in them!"

That sounds so bad azzed!!!

I've read that that motto came out after the battle of Guadalcanal! The author said that the official motto of, "Can Do!" And the above unofficial version are the literal truth! I have no connection with the Seabees but I'm very proud of them as fellow Americans!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top