JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are a brave man got rid of the wife's pistol. I know if my wife shot one as good as you say I most likely would have never seen it again :D
Waiting for the opportunity for her to shoot the 60 with 38 Specials. I'll bet the results will be similar. She shot single action very well, but the double action pull always has her jerking the trigger.
SW 686+, as it's hard to beat 7 rounds of .357 mag goodness.
I had a round butt 4" that I should have NEVER gotten rid of. The 69 was an attempt to replace that gun. The 60 "only" gives me 5 rounds, but the gun and it's lack of weight disappear when I put it on a belt.
Yes.... I would love to have it be a Kimber 1911.... I even have a Kenai for a 1911. But I don't mind getting the Glock dirty or marked up. One of my SIL's ribs me about it too. But it is light and off my hip. Besides, at 100 yards my stock G20 hit the gong and my friend with a longer Storm Lake ported barrel never hit it! If I ever have to use it in the deep willows or in the upper back country, it's the Glock. And it won''tt be 100 yards. Still have the 629 back packer but my hikes are shorter now. I would still be packing it.
I sold the 686+ to cover the cost on a Dan Wesson CBOB in 10mm, which was the twin to my CBOB in 45. I say was, because I didn't have it long and sold it. I was not impressed by the 10mm, but at the time everyone was comparing it to the 41 Mag, which it's not.
When I got my CBOB it was perfect in every way. After 10 years of nearly constant use and many trips out into the woods it's not nearly as nice as it used to be, but it's rock solid reliable. Accuracy at 100 yards surprises the crap out of me. I do my best to take care of it, but any gun used in the field will show its use. Fair trade for what that gun can provide.

I carried a 3" 624 44 Special with a round butt as a winter gun for several years. The gun shoot really well, great sights, stout round (not magnum level), but kinda big. Easier to conceal a full size 1911. But is is smaller than the 8 3/8" M29!

'''paired with the right handgun or carbine the 44 Magnum is the most versatile cartridge known to man.''

To some degree I can get behind this statement.

But the short barrel that gives up velocity, combined with the all steel non-fluted cylinder that adds weight?
I would call that the Wrong pairing.

'''paired with the right handgun or carbine the 44 Magnum is the most versatile cartridge known to man.''

To some degree I can get behind this statement.

But the short barrel that gives up velocity, combined with the all steel non-fluted cylinder that adds weight?
I would call that the Wrong pairing.
The weight helps with felt recoil for me and with a nice belt and leather holster, or shoulder holster it is very satisfying to know you are prepared of urban or woods.

Yes.... I would love to have it be a Kimber 1911.... I even have a Kenai for a 1911. But I don't mind getting the Glock dirty or marked up. One of my SIL's ribs me about it too. But it is light and off my hip. Besides, at 100 yards my stock G20 hit the gong and my friend with a longer Storm Lake ported barrel never hit it! If I ever have to use it in the deep willows or in the upper back country, it's the Glock. And it won''tt be 100 yards. Still have the 629 back packer but my hikes are shorter now. I would still be packing it.

If Glock took the G37 and stretched the grip fore to aft to accommodate the 10mm and 45ACP, I think it would sell. You'd have a G17 size 10+1 10mm.

The Remington 44 Magnum is a very versatile cartridge, with loadings from mild to wild. I know this is going piss-off many readers but before moving on to your other favorite firearm blogs take a deep breath and continue reading. Keep in mind I am not saying the 44 Magnum is perfect or best suited for a firefight, the best range cartridge or even the best hunting round. But what I am saying is paired with the right handgun or carbine the 44 Magnum is the most versatile cartridge known to man.

Because of this versatility I believe this is the best or "The Ultimate Self Defense Revolver" On the Ransom Rest for Accuracy

What is your favorite self defense revolver?

View attachment 780768
The one I have in my hand at the needed time!

Shot a .44 snub nose once. Couldn't hit the ground if I pointed straight down. Too much recoil for my experience at the time. Big arse gun.

By far and away the best carry .44 mag revolver I have found is my Dan Wesson! Not the lightest, but it's super accurate and it points quick and fits my hands very well! It's kinda neat looking too!
1606073315236.png

Or, for old school cool, the Ruger Old Army gets holster time!
1606073618779.png

Oooo, Mercy!
I owned the s&w 69 it's a 5 shot with specials it was fun to shoot but with full house loads it would sting my hand and I'm not that sensitive to recoil. I Traded it away after I got a Ruger Redhawk revolver.
I love the 44mag though and reload, I think Ruger makes a better set up handgun for the 44mag because it weighs more and handles the heavy loads better.

I owned the s&w 69 it's a 5 shot with specials it was fun to shoot but with full house loads it would sting my hand and I'm not that sensitive to recoil. I Traded it away after I got a Ruger Redhawk revolver.
I love the 44mag though and reload, I think Ruger makes a better set up handgun for the 44mag because it weighs more and handles the heavy loads better.
The model 69 is surely not a range gun, if you can practice enough and get proficient it is a good carry. The Redhawk is awesome but more of a range gun to me or shoulder rig back country revolver.

I carried my 629 "Classic" with 5" barrel in Wyoming. Still my favorite handgun, but no need to shoot any grizzlies around here. If I was carrying a revolver it would be my Ruger SP101 with 4" barrel in .327 Fed Mag.

Oh the interesting is the 329 NG
Not bad with 44 Special loaded cases 200gr N frame Scandium 6 Shot

Your hand will still sting a little - at least mine does. Even with the 165 gr. FTX @ only 900 fps, it still stings a bit. I look forward to porting my 329 and putting the grips from my 460V on it to see how much of a difference that makes.

As much as I like the .44 magnum and prefer it for a "field gun" due to its versatility, for a self-defense revolver, I prefer my TRR8 in .357 mag - with 7 shots and rails it is purposely made for self-defense (against humans) and warrant service. It is not as heavy as all steel guns, or as light as the 329, but is nicely balanced and not as abrupt to shoot as the 329 IME/IMO (even though it is not ported).

The .357 magnum, with proper ammo (I prefer heavier projectiles, and you can get 158gr +P+ loads @1450 fps), in the right gun, is quite adequate for self-defense, even against cougars and black bears of the PNW.

With improvements in projectile technology there isn't a whole lot of difference in real world* results with "real" fighting calibers in a handgun. Some salient points are made in these studies.
1) They all have about the same "stopping power" with good shot placement being the paramount factor.
2) Handguns aren't nearly as effective as long guns in dealing with an existential threat.
3) Putting more projectiles into the target helps.
4) Use good quality defensive ammo.

I don't feel poorly armed with a revolver, and most DGUs involve 3 rds or less.
Gotta go- time to eat.:D

*As shown by Ellefritz, Marshall/Sanow, et.al.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top