JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Remington 44 Magnum is a very versatile cartridge, with loadings from mild to wild. I know this is going piss-off many readers but before moving on to your other favorite firearm blogs take a deep breath and continue reading. Keep in mind I am not saying the 44 Magnum is perfect or best suited for a firefight, the best range cartridge or even the best hunting round. But what I am saying is paired with the right handgun or carbine the 44 Magnum is the most versatile cartridge known to man.

Because of this versatility I believe this is the best or "The Ultimate Self Defense Revolver" On the Ransom Rest for Accuracy

What is your favorite self defense revolver?

Capture.JPG

"Best" is always subjective.

For me the Ultimate Defense Revolver would be a Colt Dragoon or 1860 Army....'cause those fit my likes and shooting style.

A more realistic , everyday kinda choice would be a Smith and Wesson Model 28 or 19 or a Ruger Security Six.
Again the choices here are indeed "Best" , as in "Best" for me and how I shoot , as well as within my experiences.
Andy

There's a lot of ground that can be covered by a 12ga shotgun too. From slinging a solid ounce of lead at big game, to filling a bad guy with .33 caliber holes at an unmatched rate (8 per trigger pull), to filling the sky with little BBs for birds. I have a lot of respect for the 12ga shotgun.

However, other cartridges are better all around for hunting, the AR is easier to use on people and has an identical stop rate, and a 12 is a bit much on quail.

In regards to the revolver, especially in the lower 48, the 357 Magnum gets the nod from me. More ammo, less recoil, smaller gun. Get into an area with bigger predators and I might consider a 44.

Then again, the S&W 69 is calling my name....

"Best" is always subjective.

For me the Ultimate Defense Revolver would be a Colt Dragoon or 1860 Army....'cause those fit my likes and shooting style.

A more realistic , everyday kinda choice would be a Smith and Wesson Model 28 or 19 or a Ruger Security Six.
Again the choices here are indeed "Best" , as in "Best" for me and how I shoot , as well as within my experiences.
Andy
Andy I would agree -- I guess I should have stated 2 legged and 4 legged predators in the US. Would you still chose 357magnum?

I have never been a wheel gun guy but, I often can't hardly resist when I see many of them. Have always been an auto guy though and guess always will. The .44 does have it all going on for those who roll though. Talk about a round that is both easy to roll and gives a full spectrum of possibilities. Hard to think of one that does this better.

There's a lot of ground that can be covered by a 12ga shotgun too. From slinging a solid ounce of lead at big game, to filling a bad guy with .33 caliber holes at an unmatched rate (8 per trigger pull), to filling the sky with little BBs for birds. I have a lot of respect for the 12ga shotgun.

However, other cartridges are better all around for hunting, the AR is easier to use on people and has an identical stop rate, and a 12 is a bit much on quail.

In regards to the revolver, especially in the lower 48, the 357 Magnum gets the nod from me. More ammo, less recoil, smaller gun. Get into an area with bigger predators and I might consider a 44.

The 69 especially this one is a sexy capable beast. Wish it were mine it was worked over by a gunsmith and man is the trigger nice.

Andy I would agree -- I guess I should have stated 2 legged and 4 legged predators in the US. Would you still chose 357magnum?

I would still chose a .357 Magnum revolver , if forced to chose a handgun for this purpose.
Next to the .45 Colt , it is the "modern" revolver cartridge that I have the most experience with .

With that said :
I do most of my outdoor time* , with my .54 Hawken Rifle Copy...to include time in "grizzly country" , so that would be my first choice.
Andy
* Hunting , Hiking , Camping , etc...This also includes shooting almost year around with my Hawken Rifle...it is the firearm I shoot and carry the best with.

I believe that with the Special included, the 44 Mag chambering is indeed versitile.

I like the 41 better.

But after selling the 41 and 44 revolvers, I only have a 357. :D

8 shot 12 gauge = Fight's over.

I had a 69. Neat gun. With 44 Specials my wife shot it better than any other handgun.
With 44 Mags, it was a handful, but useable.

Again: personal preference. OP makes good point though. The.44 is very versatile, especially when hand-loaded. Carried my S&W 629 a lot. Packed into places that held potential surprises. Before that, carried a 586 routinely. I liked the power factor of the .44 better though. Truck gun was a .44 Redhawk. Have never had to pull. I think the biggest threats were snakes and humans. When we moved to our place in MT I quickly discovered there is stuff out here bigger than what I encountered in OR. But with age have come limits. It is much easier to wear my G20 in a Kenai chest rig. I run a 200 gr hard cast over some Blue Dot and feel ok.

I don't know about ultimate but the one I've open carried for about 40 years is a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. For a long time it was all I had for a hand gun. Now days I've got choices so on any given day I might pack a GP-100, 41 Mag blackhawk or 629. If I was going to hunt in the steep and deep brush it would be the 629 for sure.

Again: personal preference. OP makes good point though. The.44 is very versatile, especially when hand-loaded. Carried my S&W 629 a lot. Packed into places that held potential surprises. Before that, carried a 586 routinely. I liked the power factor of the .44 better though. Truck gun was a .44 Redhawk. Have never had to pull. I think the biggest threats were snakes and humans. When we moved to our place in MT I quickly discovered there is stuff out here bigger than what I encountered in OR. But with age have come limits. It is much easier to wear my G20 in a Kenai chest rig. I run a 200 gr hard cast over some Blue Dot and feel ok.
Ok 10MM you might be on to something but Glock 20 :D teasing

Ok 10MM you might be on to something but Glock 20 :D teasing
Yes.... I would love to have it be a Kimber 1911.... I even have a Kenai for a 1911. But I don't mind getting the Glock dirty or marked up. One of my SIL's ribs me about it too. But it is light and off my hip. Besides, at 100 yards my stock G20 hit the gong and my friend with a longer Storm Lake ported barrel never hit it! If I ever have to use it in the deep willows or in the upper back country, it's the Glock. And it won''tt be 100 yards. Still have the 629 back packer but my hikes are shorter now. I would still be packing it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top