JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, we're getting all the ducks in the row for a move/expansion to Arizona. We have plans mapped out. Got a general idea of the phases. And the rest.

Yesterday I learned of a position in my field that would not be a good fit, it would be a great fit. It would be a very good career move in general. It is, however, located in Lake Mary, Florida. One of my brothers actually flies there all the time as part of his job and tells me it is a nice place. But it is contrary to current plans.

From what I read, Florida is, generally, pro-2A. It has warm weather and no income tax. All three of those are big pluses. But I just don't know enough yet about the locale.

Thoughts on the Sunshine state? About that area in particular? Everything, firearms-wise is fine now, including CCW and NFA items, but would be curious about any caveats.

Thanks much.

I generally like Florida, and have family there. I think you should do whatever is best for you and the family brother. I'm considering a move as well, at some point in the hopefully not too distant future. :)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lake-Mary-Florida.html

Never lived in Florida but vacationed there several times when visiting relatives in the southeast states. The state is flat as a pancake, and the windshield splattering love-bugs swarm several times a year. Had a cousin that lived in the Orlando area until he retired four years ago and moved back to Texas. I'd pick Arizona over Florida any day but, as you're finding out, the decision tree for any move has a lot of factors and ultimately you have to decide which ones carry the most weight.

Politically speaking I think AZ is heading the same direction as the west coast.

One of the areas Californians are moving to in droves.

If I'd do it again, IE move to another state. It would be somewhere in the south where things are and have been conservative for generations. Somewhere like Oklahoma, Tennessee, or Alabama.

Politically speaking I think AZ is heading the same direction as the west coast.

One of the areas Californians are moving to in droves.

If I'd do it again, IE move to another state. It would be somewhere in the south where things are and have been conservative for generations. Somewhere like Oklahoma, Tennessee, or Alabama.

Dont say that man. I dont wanna hear it.....The gf is looking at Georgia....I'm NOT impressed....Half of me would rather deal with the struggles here than move there.....convince me NOT to go....PLEASE!?! I'm begging you!!! As my neighbor....

Hmm, heat, humidity, alligators, pythons, roaches, bugs and bad drivers. But I liked Marathon and Orlando.

Humidity, check
Bugs, check
Roaches, check
Snakes, check
Love bugs, check
Humidity, check
BBQ to kill for, check
Rain big drops, seasonal that you can tell time by, check
Bike week, check
Spring break, not what it was in the day
Very ripe roadkill, check

I spent the mid '70's stationed at NAS Jax, FLA VMA 142
Shared a room with a cockroach, not saying he was big but, when his girlfriend spent the night I didn't argue and just let them have the bed...
Great tropical storms. As I rode motorcycle year round much of the year I kept my wallet in a plastic bag.:rolleyes:
Summer days in the 90's and high humidity and more comfortable nights in the sticky mid 80's.
I did like the heat lightning, great light shows.

I'd assume some things have changed, probably more snakes, bugs and cockroaches.

Escaped washington 3x, escaped california 3x, escaped florida once, I was a slow learner on washington and california. Left florida and never looked back. I do miss the BBQ and the beach bunnies however.:D

I lived ther for a while, learned a trade & left as soon as we sold a litter of Rottweiler pups & had a good income tax return, never looked back.
Marion county (Ocala) was so friggin anti-business, the good ole boys GOV and raising taxes & fees for building contractors.
I will never move back but do visit friends and family occasionally.
Good luck living anywhere around Orlando.:eek:

Dont say that man. I dont wanna hear it.....The gf is looking at Georgia....I'm NOT impressed....Half of me would rather deal with the struggles here than move there.....convince me NOT to go....PLEASE!?! I'm begging you!!! As my neighbor....
Peaches. Just think of all the delicious peaches;)

Humidity, check
Bugs, check
Roaches, check
Snakes, check
Love bugs, check
Humidity, check
BBQ to kill for, check
Bike week, check

I spent the mid '70's stationed at NAS Jax, FLA VMA 142
Shared a room with a cockroach, not saying he was big but, when his girlfriend spent the night I didn't argue and just let them have the bed...
Great tropical storms. As I rode motorcycle year round much of the year I kept my wallet in a plastic bag.:rolleyes:
Summer days in the 90's and high humidity and more comfortable nights in the sticky mid 80's.
I did like the heat lightning, great light shows.

I'd assume some things have changed, probably more snakes, bugs and cockroaches.

Escaped washington 3x, escaped california 3x, escaped florida once, I was a slow learner on washington and california. Left florida and never looked back. I do miss the BBQ and the beach bunnies however.:D
Florida is where I was introduced to Rain-X. Just saying

Humidity, check
Bugs, check
Roaches, check
Snakes, check
Love bugs, check
Humidity, check
BBQ to kill for, check
Bike week, check
[SNIP]
Not to mention....
Hurricane_Fran_sept_1996.jpg

Hurricanes aren't too bad as long as you're not coastal. Wind and rain mostly, some power outages, but no tidal surge or flooding inland. My folks have lived there for a few decades and the worst they've had is a tree or two knocked down, no power for 5 days and a few shingles on the corner of the roof were missing. I'd be more worried about sinkholes:eek:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top