JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Holy crap. That's all I can about the state of education in America.

I'm in school full time right now, and as part of my degree I have to take Writing 121 again. (20 years after the last time I took it). I'm no English major by any stretch mind you, but I know my way around the P's and Q's. We're doing peer edits in my writing class this morning. The way this one fellow hacked his way through his essay, it looks less like he's using the English language, and more like he's attacking it like it's his mortal enemy!

WTH people? Did EVERYONE sleep through their high school writing and English classes? Did you never learn that there are words that that sound the same but are spelled differently? Did you not even learn to put a space after the period??

GAAAAHHHH!

Totally...
Well so...
I know right...
Anyway...

These are two indicators of the change of the English language that I don't like. :) I will say that English/Writing 1xx level class always hurt me mentally in university. But so did the one 1xx math class I took. As you get up there in level though, you will notice a remarkable spike.

I am confused why you expect better

1. The highest growing demand fro classes in junior college is remedial english and math. Math I am talking about basic math( addition , division, etc). I would assume that is true at 4 year colleges - Bonehead math and english.
2. Our culture has deteriorated to the point that proper english is not used anymore.
3. Too much reliance on computers , calculators and other systems.
4. Schools have evolved into equal participation centers ( no expectations of winners and losers)
5. I can tell you when we tested populations of high school graduates ( Yes the test was a court approved test) That the average person under age 45 had a functional knowledge equal to 7th to 8th grade. ( High School Graduates). The test administered to peopel over age 45 was closer to 11 grade functional . What happened 30 - 40 years ago - we got the Department of Education and Unions. (Everyone keeps forgeting that little point)

Today - the High School Diploma is a mere attendance award in many public schools
My recommendation is like in many other countries - you take exit exams.
Your performance on that exams determines:
1. If you pass or not
2. what schools you are eligible to attend ( May be a trade school)
3. If you could pass a citizenship exam.
Means you better know english, math, history, etc.

The good news is that there are other non public school options

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads