JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pretty stoked about starting this build. I still have parts ordered and they should be coming in over the course of the next week. I'll keep you updated as this build progresses. After much deliberation I went with the 18" barrel and being the OCD person that I am I ordered anything that I possibly could in keeping with the Mega brand. That would be the Mega Maten MKM (keymod extended rifle length) set, barrel, trigger and grip. All other parts will be ambi and on par with the quality of Mega as I build this out.
hsl6xk.jpg
20qx98i.jpg
257ixb6.jpg

I'm hoping the stock comes tomorrow.
NOTE: The Maten comes with the break down pins already installed. They are held in place by little set screws with allen wrench heads for easy removal or installation. The ambi bolt catch/release comes already pre-installed as well and has the same set screws holding it in place. No bubbleguming roll pins!! I installed a Norgon ambi-mag release and a Battle Arms Development (BAD) mag release button. I had to uninstall the factory installed ambi-bolt catch/release to enable proper installation of the Norgon ambi-mag release. The Norgon release kept hitting the bolt catch no matter how far I depressed the mag release button, when I tried to rotate it on. It was an easy enough procedure utilizing the set screws that hold the bolt catch/release in place though. After I installed the ambi mag release I quickly re-installed the bolt catch/release.
The Mega Skeletonized adjustable trigger comes with a special trigger spring proprietary to the trigger. I had to supply my own hammer, hammer spring, sear and sear spring. I used all Wolff springs except for the proprietary trigger spring. The trigger has two set screws, one in the front and one in the back to adjust the travel and the creep of the trigger. The hammer and sear came from a CMMG fire control group I had lying around from a previous build. I gotta say, it is a really sweet trigger and could be adjusted to "dangerous" levels if one were so inclined to do so.
The BAD CASS (Combat Ambi Safety Selector) was an easy install. I think CASS is their Gen2 but I don't really know the difference between the BAD bubblegum and the BAD CASS ambi safeties. Standard lever on one side and short on the other. The BAD CASS comes with the detent and a regular mil-spec spring for standard installation where the spring is housed mostly in the grip.
I was disappointed that the Mega grip did not come with an installation screw and washer but luckily I had an extra on hand. You would think it should come with the grip though. With that said, I love the grip. It's just a basic Hogue grip that has been branded by MEGA. Hogue grips have always been my favorite and I run them on every single AR that I own. You can't beat the ergos and rubbery, squishy comfort of them. I think MEGA was wise to choose Hogue to carry their brand.
k4w7ck.jpg
On this side you can see the BAD mag release button and it's textured contours. You can also see the short lever that comes with the BAD CASS. I'm really digging the sharp, well defined lines of the MEGA billet receivers. The roll marks are all very deep and crisp as well and very pleasing to the eye.
2d1lfex.jpg

I got the Magpul ACS mil-spec stock in today and mounted it. It came with three 5.56 dummy rounds in the storage compartment and a little QD socket attachment for a QD sling swivel. I had the swivel in my parts box. The only other thing I need to complete the lower are the KNS anti walk/rotation pins.
2eehdl0.jpg
oiyl40.jpg
The SLR Synergy Comp/Flash also came in today. It's even more bad bubblegum looking first hand than it appeared on the website. I'll mount it once I get my gas block and tube in the mail. With the gas block and tube I can finally begin assembly of the upper.
2chnhu.jpg

Looking very good so far!

What sort of contour did you get for the barrel? You should post a photo of it when you get a chance.

That combo muzzle brake / flash hider looks most interesting. I've never been that impressed with such combo products in the past, but this demo video of the SLR looks very impressive. The shooter appears to very easily stay on target:

Last Edited:
Yeah, the reviews are pretty good on that brake.

The barrel......... before the assembly begins. It's an 18" .308 1/10 twist made by MEGA. They also offer this same barrel in 16" and 20".
2vb203q.jpg
6zr140.jpg

My gas block came in today. I got a BCM but I have a strange feeling that I should've went with an adjustable option like Bronco suggested. Maybe I'll get lucky. We'll see. So far all I have for mags are 2x20 round Pmags and 1x25 round window Pmag. No other options for the function test but Pmag! Disconcerting! Hoping I don't have any issues with those. I almost have this thing complete and you guys are starting to scare me with all the, "this problem, that problem" when talking about your .308 AR's.
287zq6w.jpg

Last Edited:
So the build is complete! I'd like to hear comments or suggestions but I'm pretty friggin beside myself with satisfaction. I have a U.S. Optics MR-10 being shipped as I write this. This link will take you to the optic that will sit on top of this build: <broken link removed>
I'm hoping to destroy the 200 yard mark at MRC as soon as I get together with Jukk0o to sight the optic. Hell I should be able to do that with the irons I have on it.
Picture heavy!!
121ucjp.jpg
6ibb5j.jpg
30hq3ps.jpg
5bwl6s.jpg
2is829c.jpg
wsny51.jpg
30wrxid.jpg
nx9cn6.jpg
2cwqzhj.jpg
21c60ci.jpg

I feel like it turned out much lighter than I expected. I want to actually weight it. I have no problem wielding it with one hand but I'm no delicate flower either. I'll weigh it and get back!

10.8 pounds!

Is that good, bad or average??

Last Edited:
That is truly one awesome 308 build. It reminds me a lot of mine, so we must think alike on many things. You did come in 1/2 lb heavier than mine, though.

And it warms my heart to see someone who values having a good scope on his rifle. Your scope is the one feature that I truly envy.

Although you scope does come in at 24 oz, so your total weight must now be up there quite a bit by now. I went with a much lighter 12 oz Leupold 2-7x33 VX-R Riflescope with multidot Firedot reticle myself. And it only cost me $520 after I shopped around. No where close to being as awesome as your scope, though.

I'll have to take my 308 out of the safe and post some pics of it. I've been thinking of going to the rifle range and doing some shooting soon, so maybe I will take it with me on my next trip.

Okay mudda beeches!! I got her out today to make sure she functions properly and to zero the irons. I'm waiting for jukk0o and/or sinus211 to help me zero the USO MR-10 scope. I don't completely understand the EREK knob yet so I'll need help.
First of all, I put a hundred rounds through her without a single malfunction. I felt pretty good about that. I love the Mega trigger and the LMT folding 308 iron sights are bad bubblegum!!
The first picture is of the 200 meter target with shot groups 1-3 as I adjusted the irons. The last group (#3) was a three round group. I didn't feel like I could do any better than that with the irons. After that I proceeded to ring the bubbleguming gong at 250 meters relentlessly and with minimal effort. Mind you, this was all iron sights. My biggest fear now is that I may find shooting with the scope boring.
The last pictures show the ammo I used and the unusual marks I was noticing on the spent brass. Can anybody in the know describe to me what is happening to create those marks on the brass? Is it normal? Is it safe? Help?? Someone at the range was telling me the markings on the brass would indicate the ammo I had, had too much pressure and it might be safer to switch to an ammo with less pressure. Any advice??

qsmkpk.jpg
28jyue8.jpg
250tp2r.jpg

You didn't get lucky. You should have the adjustable gas block. Looks like classic signs of overgassed. Ejector smears, probably major extractor marks. Action is cycling when gas pressure is too high.
Where does the brass land? If less than 3 o'clock or so and short it's over gassed.
My 7.5 5.56 pistol did the same thing till choked WAY down.
Has nothing to do with ammo pressure.
My .02 worth.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top