JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know it's not the healthiest choice, but I've been known to indulge in the occasional fast food binge every now and then.

Back in the day (late 90s), I could do so for a few bucks, because Burger King Whoppers were 99 cents.

I went by BK the other day for the first time in years, and - lo and behold, the Whopper is now more than $8… for just the sandwich

WOW.

IMG_1183.jpeg

I'm fat enough as it is so I pack leftovers or a sandwich. About once every 2 months I'll get something for the herd, might be pizza or Chinese food. I was in a hurry the other day and grabbed a cheeseburger and fries at burgerville, it was almost 18$ and they wanted a dam tip in the drive threw! Won't be doing that again

I'm fat enough as it is so I pack leftovers or a sandwich. About once every 2 months I'll get something for the herd, might be pizza or Chinese food. I was in a hurry the other day and grabbed a cheeseburger and fries at burgerville, it was almost 18$ and they wanted a dam tip in the drive threw! Won't be doing that again
A tip jar in the window?

Was she wearing lingerie?

Once again people ask for something then are shocked when they get what they asked for. One upside to them asking for more and more money is tech. The tech to replace most of the workers is getting better all the time. I am shocked when I see long lines at the fast food places here. As another poster mentioned people will still pay so why not. Food is so damn bad on top of the price for it though. Wife and I went to a place here called 5 Guys last week. Price is VERY high for burger and fries but, damn they were as good as what I can do at home. So for a treat it was worth it and we will go back. To eat at a fast food joint now I would have to be very short on time and VERY hungry. I just can't eat that stuff any more it has gotten so damn bad.

Used to be $30 to feed the family at a random fast food joint.
Now it is about $50 for a family of four.

At this point, I would usually prefer to eat at a better restaurant.

I read a report late last year I think. It stated that the price of fast food is pretty consistent and basically does not change. It is always ~1 hour's work at the prevailing minimum wage (This may not be the legal minimum wage, it could be lower or higher depending on many factors. Lots of illegals in your area? they push the minimum down. Are you in a super chintzy part of town? That will push the average minimum up. It also depends on options; base option only or full meal, but the point still stands even if you splurge on options. I think base option was closer to 30 or 40 min of prevailing wage, while the most deluxe options are closer to two hours). If the baseline goes up the numerical cost goes up, but the value proposition in the transaction does not change; one hour of low-skill labor for one meal's worth of food, cooked, prepared and ready to eat. Over-all not a bad value proposition, it just sucks when the .gov decides they want to play with the numbers.

This is also a pretty good way to tell what your job thinks of you. If you have to work about an hour to earn a meal at your local fast food joint you are in the "low skill labor" pool for your area no matter what they tell you.

It's not just the minimum wage. The price of ingredients is higher, too. Beef is through the roof, as anyone who's been to the meat counter at the supermarket knows. Energy costs are up - electricity rates recently increased again. Lots of things affect the bottom line.

Not just fast food. Mexican food used to be a pretty economical night out. Now you're looking at an average of $20 a plate for most dishes in our area, house specialties even higher.

Ordered a pizza from Domino's the other night. First time in a long time. $26 for a large. Ouch! Wasn't that great, either.

Wife and I went to a place here called 5 Guys last week. Price is VERY high for burger and fries but, damn they were as good as what I can do at home. So for a treat it was worth it and we will go back. T
5-Guys used to be an expensive burger. Now it's even cheaper than a Whopper ($8.99). I wonder how long they will hold the line on costs.
I read a report late last year I think. It stated that the price of fast food is pretty consistent and basically does not change.
Don't try to tell that to anyone who's actually been in to a fast food restaurant lately.
It is always ~1 hour's work at the prevailing minimum wage (This may not be the legal minimum wage, it could be lower or higher depending on many factors. Lots of illegals in your area? they push the minimum down.
I sincerely doubt if any of the major chains pay less than the legal minimum wage. Mom and pop places maybe could get away with it, but it could mean big trouble for the majors.

Used to be $30 to feed the family at a random fast food joint.
Now it is about $50 for a family of four.

At this point, I would usually prefer to eat at a better restaurant.
I finally got that through to the Wife. For us to go to a fast food joint we are looking at about $25. We went to Applebees instead last night. $10 more for a sit down meal that I actually enjoy and Wife had enough left over to make a good lunch for her today. I feel like I waste money going to fast food as even if I am really hungry I still toss a good part of it as I just can't eat it any more

I finally got that through to the Wife. For us to go to a fast food joint we are looking at about $25. We went to Applebees instead last night. $10 more for a sit down meal that I actually enjoy and Wife had enough left over to make a good lunch for her today. I feel like I waste money going to fast food as even if I am really hungry I still toss a good part of it as I just can't eat it any more
Not to mention what it does to the guts the next day! No one wants a code brown at work

I know it's not the healthiest choice, but I've been known to indulge in the occasional fast food binge every now and then.

Back in the day (late 90s), I could do so for a few bucks, because Burger King Whoppers were 99 cents.

I went by BK the other day for the first time in years, and - lo and behold, the Whopper is now more than $8… for just the sandwich

WOW.

View attachment 1852719
That's what happens when minimum wages are quickly climbing in excess of $20/hour…

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top