JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, just thought i would share an event that happens last night at my parents house.

My Parents intruder alarm went off at 3:20 am. I get a call form the alarm co. ( i didn't wake up) saying that they are dispatching the police. Meanwhile, my dad gets up takes a look around and dose not see anything then notices that the motion sensor on the kitchen window was missing. IT being 3 something in the morning, he dose not look for it and goes back to bed.
45 mins later Portland PD shows up in response to the call they got form the alarm co.
Now yes there was no 911 call associated with the alarm call, but here is where the what ifs come in. What if someone had broken into their place and tied them up, hurt them or worries and all the police had to alert them was the notification form the alarm co. Now i will say this, my father is just as pro 2nd amendment as i am, has fire arms locked in his house and defiantly would not be afraid to use them to protect my mom or himself. It just kinda goes to show you that you can not rely on the police to be there right away. Even at 3:30 am on a Tuesday morning.
When seconds count, the police are only 45 mins away..............

And they only responded so quickly because they didn't receive a domestic violence call in the intervening 45 minutes. Thanks for the real world example of what the police are there and not there for.

Monitored alarm systems in residences are one of the lowest priority calls for police because of all the false alarms. I am friends with a deputy sheriff and he told me once they will not let a monitored alarm call interrupt their relaxation time at Starbucks.

Most burglaries happen in under six minutes and are fast smash and grabs. Cops know they have little chance of showing up in time anyway even if the call is real so why not finish that Latte and tell a few stories first.

If you happen to fall under the threat of a robber's knife or gun, then it was your fault for not handling your own security.

I extend my protection to one neighbor who is a disabled vet with a frail wife. They really can't do much even with a weapon, so it is the right thing to do. I told them if they made some effort - external lighting, one-button call to my mobile, re-inforced their door jams, etc - that I would be there for them. About five years ago before I moved here they woke up to a burglar casually going from room to room collecting things in their home at 4am. Was traumatic for them. They hit the silent panic on their alarm by the bed and the cops came by around 9am to check on things to say hello, how are things, do you need anything 'maam?

Yeah.... Portland police did decide to leave my parents with a $50 fales alarm fine.... told them to subtract a dollar for every min they were late and send them a bag of pennys.

Most security systems are monitored by their own security, which are dispatched way before police are even contacted. I have a security system as a deterent to thieves when I'm not home. When I am home it will alert me to which door has been breached and wake me up. Kinda like a fire detector, they don't call the fire department, but will surely wake you up.

I beg to differ. Owned a wireless security company for 15+ years. SOME major brand alarms are affiliated with the own or private mobile/auto security but the majority simply contact the police. The private guy is usually a minimum wage unarmed idiot who is a low IQ dullard who will do no good anyway.

The best way to not be a victim is to think outside the box. Install cameras that can be plainly seen, lots of lighting, 3" lag/deck screws in all door jams, re-inforced steel jams, INSIDE 24/7 cameras/audio on loop hidden; safe(s), very loud internal siren(s) with independent power .... basically making every place but yours more desirable for a break-in. Change your pattern all the time. Park at the curb, park in the driveway, leave lights on and radio blasting when gone, etc. Close curtains when gone; prevent a casual observer from the outside the opportunity to case your place.

Of course, your firearm of choice for the idiot dumb enough to break in when you are home.

#1 - don't have people in your home that absolutely do not have to be there including contractors, parties, etc. People see things and come back. If you have kids, no teen buddies. "Hey, Bob's dad has a cool 60" TV and a kick *** stereo! ..." "Oh ... really?"

If you must have the AC repair guy in your home sniffing around every corner make sure you mention that you are moving out in a couple days, you can't afford the rent, etc, so he'll remove you from the list he'll share with his buddies as an easy target.

BTW, goes double for alarm installers. Many have been known to hand off your information to thieving buddies who get an override code for your alarm and a list/place of everything to steal, whether you have guns or not, etc.

If you install your own alarm that calls your cell, etc, that is good, but have an action plan. Have your neighbors numbers. If you don't want your neighbors getting into harm's way, tell them to pull into your driveway and set off their cars panic alarm/horn. Only the boldest thief will stick around.

People who come to steal and rob 90% of the time know exactly what you have that they want and where it is - you or your kids showed them!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top