JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I'm finally done customizing my 10/22. Or should I say, THIS 10/22. The last two mods I finally finished today.
20150604_130149a_zpsdv7k7bwj.jpg
I had used a Boyd's Evolution SS stock for the the past couple years, but I found over time that the LOP was just a smitch too short. I opted this time for the Boyd's Rimfire Thumbhole stock which gives a little more length forward and on the LOP. I also like the fact that I get a better cheek weld with this style of stock as opposed to the Evolution which has a pronounced dip on the top of the stock where the cheek would normally rest.

The final mod was the addition of a Ruger BX trigger group. I was hoping for a lighter trigger pull than my current stock trigger. Even though I had stoned and polished the sear and hammer in the old group, it was still a tad on the heavy side. Although I don't have a trigger gauge, I can easily tell that the trigger pull is at least a couple pounds lighter than before. It breaks very crisply and with much less effort.

I'm thinking I may need to swap out the auto bolt release however. The bolt WILL lock back in place, but in order to release it, you have to pull back on the charging handle while simultaneously pushing up on the bolt release. Not really convenient if you ask me, and I'm not sure why Ruger would do this unless it was over some sort of safety concern. My Volquartsen auto bolt release requires only pulling back on the charging handle and releasing it for the rifle to go into battery. Ah well.

Last Edited:
Nice looking rifle! I had one that was a very similar build. Great shooter with one big drawback - with the solid wood thumbhole stock, varmint scope and bull barrel, it weighed a ton. I ended up selling it, but I do still miss it.

I thought about adding the 'auto bolt release' mod to my current 10/22. Easy enough to install or even modify the original. Nice feature I had on my last 10/22.

That bolt release design has been around forever. I always get a chuckle when I see the old ads about how they had perfected the design. It usually takes me about 3 tries to unlock a 10/22 bolt if I haven't shot one in a while. Don't get me wrong - I like the rest of the gun fine but the bolt release doesn't impress me.

Darn you have good taste!!

I went w/ the Boyd's stock but will look at the Rimfire next time around. The greatest bang-for-the-buck trigger I have found is the Volquartsen hammer and bushings combo. About $40 and a dramatic improvement. I went w/ the KIDD upgraded trigger on this one ($100) and it is a step up from the Volquartsen, but you get about 70% of the improvement for 40% of the cost w/ the Volquartsen.

Boyd's Blaster stock, KIDD UL barrel, KIDD bolt release & bolt handle.

IMG_7468_zps2vgy5yuh.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads