JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ever thought of giving up life's troubles and just becoming a mountain man? I have been thinking about it for a long time and I don't want to work till I'm 60.
who in the right mind would ever do that! I'm thinking about just giving up on life's bullcrap, and becoming a true mountain man. so who's going to join me if I do???

Too late.

I am 61, and I am going to work another 5 years. Sue me - I like my comforts, even though I do live on a mountain, in a forest, I do so in a house, with a shop and I drive to work (with a career that I like, even enjoy at times).

Besides that, I had/have responsibilities and family.

If you don't have a wife or children, you don't need to take care of an elderly parent, and you want to live a solitary life in the mountains, then go for it. Don't expect much company though.

Ever thought of giving up life's troubles and just becoming a mountain man? I have been thinking about it for a long time and I don't want to work till I'm 60.
who in the right mind would ever do that! I'm thinking about just giving up on life's bullcrap, and becoming a true mountain man. so who's going to join me if I do???
Mick Dodge has done it for a long time, so he claims.:s0076: I have bugged out for 3 months many moons ago and it was the best 3 months of my life ! :s0115:If I were to give advice I would say be very,very, VERY PICKY with WHO you decide to become self reliant and off the grid with ! :s0124:As far as doing it successfully KNOWLEDGE is king. If I was 20 years younger I would do it all over again and I say be PREPARED AND GO AS FAR OUT AS YOU CAN AND BE CAUTIOUS !:s0020: Look out for POT GROWS and BOOBY TRAPS:s0103: and signs of other dangerous PEOPLE. :s0077:Good Luck! :s0152::s0155::s0160:

But.....You live in Molalla! Isn't that pretty primitive?:D

Been there, done that, with wife and child. Began with a tipi, worked for 15 years until we had a house, two cars, a TV, kid in college, and a divorce. Ooops...
It's a good idea to learn all the skills to live in a remote location. It's fine to live there too. But you can't get away from You, nor the idiotic social arrangements we have going on this planet right now.

I bought 5 acres in 1973 where the seller and county planning dept said there would likely never be electric service available. I live there 4 years with no electricity hauled water in barrels etc. I'm glad to have done it while I was younger. It was difficult to live there. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It turned sour when electricity became available.

check out those people that live up in northern Alaska. Got to be a hard man to live like that and thats modern compared to what a true mountain man lived like.

No kidding. The term "mountain man" runs the gamut.. from someone on foot or with a couple horses to someone with a "base".. be it a lean-to to a tipi.
I'd say go for it, to whatever degree or capacity you desire. Know though that it gets dang cold out there.. and you gotta eat.. probably 3-7000 calories a day.
I spent two months unsupported (no horses either) in the Bob Marshal a long time ago. It was in the fine and nice weather though. fun times

Personally, as much as I would love to. I lack the skills. every generation will drift further and further from being fully self relianced.
My great grand dad could make bows and arrows and kill game. he could chip a arrow head from a coke bottle if he had to. me, I lack all of those skills and would die the 1st winter I am sure.

I have watched "Life Below Zero" four seasons. I can appreciate all they do to survive. Then there is " The Last Alaskans" also very interesting and also the show " Mountain Men". I really like watching these programs but have no intention to try it now.

Ive always dreamed of a vagabond lifestyle living out of a van and going where I wanted.
Its what got me interested in "freestaters".

However Im tied down by the coowbership of a small business and the love of my family that Im VERY close to. Not seeing them for even a few days would hurt my heart.

That being said, GOD FORBID anything and I mean ANYTHING happens to my family but if it does, Ill be a drifter or mountain man at that point. Nothing more to really live for if they werent around so I may as well go on my own great adventure.

Yer absolutely right, ZA. The loneliness will strike many home, were they to do such a thing, even were they not to have a family. I think it'd be a wash between loneliness/mental state and sheer bodily hardship.. starvation/hypothermia.

Yer absolutely right, ZA. The loneliness will strike many home, were they to do such a thing, even were they not to have a family. I think it'd be a wash between loneliness/mental state and sheer bodily hardship.. starvation/hypothermia.

Living alone does suck. but you have to counter that against the freedom you have.

I love being able to get up and simply walk around in my boxers or less and no one around to say any different.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top