JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those who want some "just in case" food this stuff made a hit with me. While back when I wanted to set some of this kind of stuff aside I tried a couple. Someone here mentioned Mountain House so I bought a few things to try. Damn stuff is good. It's not 5 star cuisine but, if I needed it the stuff makes a damn good meal I can actually enjoy eating.

Mountain house, while not a very cost effective way to prep for long term food storage, is a really nice change of pace from canned and preserved foodstuffs. freeze dried food is expensive, especially the individual meals, but it can last a long, long time in the right conditions. I think its a super good idea to add at least a few days worth of freeze dried prepared food to any good prep just for variety, if nothing else. moral is always an important thing to consider, and eating the same rotation over and over can really make any people your living with, and yourself, grouchy.

Mountain House is good, I had some come up for expiration and just made it for dinner and it was great. Very filling.

Love that stuff. Bought my family and I a 45 day supply about a year ago when the prices were still reasonable. My son ate the raspberry crumble desert on ice cream one evening just to give it a try. Over the next few weeks he ate every bag of it that I had bought. At least we have the entrees left : )

Mountain House generally puts out a decent product. As noted above, it isn't 5 star cuisine, but it is light in weight, has a long shelf life and relatively inexpensive. My biggest dislike of the product is the high sodium content in many products. I understand the reason behind it and in a short term hiking or longer survival situation I'll take the CV risk.

I really like the biscuits and gravy package with some hot sauce

Walmart generally has the augaston farms freeze dried cans for a decent price. powdered milk, butter, peanut butter, various fruits and veggies, soup mixes and I've seen freeze dried beef chunks/ meat as well. depending on what it is the price varies between 11 bucks up to 25 or so a can. meat is more expensive. I feel that having a few cans of the essentials and a method of preserving it after you open it so you can spread its use out is a good idea, since the self life for it is so long. being able to have rehydrated butter to cook with and milk and such. Long term it seems a good choice, especially since its all canned it should last a while in storage.

I have a bunch of Augaston farms in cans for long term, and over a hundred Mountain House 2 serving meal packages. As was mentioned above, live off the beans, rice, pasta canned goods and Augaston farms, but maybe 2x a week have the Mountain House as a treat to break up the boredom.

The down side ia that I have had to store a bunch of water to re-hydrate all of the food. And i have a bunch of propane bottles for the camping stove.

I have a bunch of Augaston farms in cans for long term, and over a hundred Mountain House 2 serving meal packages. As was mentioned above, live off the beans, rice, pasta canned goods and Augaston farms, but maybe 2x a week have the Mountain House as a treat to break up the boredom.

The down side ia that I have had to store a bunch of water to re-hydrate all of the food. And i have a bunch of propane bottles for the camping stove.
lucky for us here in the pnw in the case of emergency it isn't terribly difficult to collect and clean rainwater. I mean, in the event of a disaster I doubt they are going to enforce the laws against it.:D It would take a really bad disaster(Nuke, huge wildfire, chemical spills/attack, etc) to make rainwater a non-option. You have to replenish your stores long term anyhow. plus, most of us in the rural areas have a well.

They've always said the expiration date is more about slight degrading of quality and not about it being "bad". Stuff will outlast us in most cases assuming optimal storage condition.
I mean, just look at steve1989mreinfo on youtube. he's eaten mountain house rations from the 80's that were still fine. and now the storage tech and technique are even further improved.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top