JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder if you could fit a cardboard 50 rd. box of .22's inside a cardboard .410 box?
Seems like you'd still have quite a few shot shells left inside (the rest might be able to be carried in the butt stock).
Would make a nice little compact little ammo carrier.

Good idea - I will have to try that, but with something more durable than cardboard.

I mentioned the original issue having 14" barrels. That was for the Air Force. You'll likely never see the 14" version in the civilian market.:cool:

There is a smaller outfit that makes them in the original 14" configuration. And I've seen a few papered originals on the NFA market. Details on the former can be found here. Cheers. :)

Good idea - I will have to try that, but with something more durable than cardboard.
Thank you!
I was thinking the cardboard box is a little more compact and I was thinking it would spend most, if not all, of its time in some kind of "protective case/cover" (knapsack, shooting vest, your pocket, the truck/airplane, etc.)….and with shotgun shells, do they come packed any other way?

86ea549ca90127aeae890b6e00f1b47f.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8Db4FjF11i_5En21q4r7X7jyn7MQP4SsKCVNaDYAkbmgaZnwx.jpg

...and I suppose, if you want to "toughen" the shot shell box you could wrap it in duct tape.

Last Edited:
Back to the M6.

It was never intended to be a masterpiece of any kind. It was originally designed as a military aircrew survival weapon, to perform multiple roles, albeit marginally. It was cheap to make, simple to operate, robust, and relatively compact, especially with the 14" barrels.

Yes, compared to a nice shotgun, a nice rifle, a nice anything...No, it doesn't compare either in performance or aesthetics. It was never intended to compete.

Ugly, crude, and underperforming, that would still be my preference over a nicer gun that might have not survived an airplane crash. :cool:

That's right, they were never meant to be a work of art, never owned one but I always thought they were cool and wouldn't mind picking one up.

I had one of the original AR7s and carried it on my boat.
A, "Sem-Auto"!!! :eek:
It drove female Canadian Customs agents crazy!:p
It had a trigger pull like the last turn on a Spam can key. :mad:
I finally upgraded to a Winchester Marine Stainless,12GA. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I have had two M6s in the last 30 years as " pack" or bug out bag guns.
Sold both for different reasons, both included poor accuracy.
I replaced them a year ago with a kid's Savage Rascal. Single shot, good safety, great trigger, accurate, light...etc. for $149.00. Would never go back to a $600 anchor.

Regards,

ezra

Seems Ezra may have found a hidden gem.
Good going, Ez!
How did you make it work with the kid sized stock?
Does someone make a full size stock for that gun now?

Dean

image.jpeg Hi Dean,
I am used to shooting ARs with my nose close to the charging handle. I am 6-1, 235# and the rifle feels like a toy but is perfectly shootable, using the iron peep sight or a red dot on an after market rail. I have not tried using a scope on it because it is a short range plinker and meat getter for me and if I want to shoot 100 yds, I have CZs for that. No one that I know of makes a replacement stock but there are YouTube videos of guys making wire stock conversions. I prefer to keep it the way it is to ride in a Cordura shotgun scabbard on my pack or tucked away in my truck lockup. It is quite accurate as-is and I practice with CB Longs and a 2" gong at 37yds-50 yds in by back acre.
If you can, pick one up and shoulder it at your lgs or Bi-Mart. You will be surprised. Not my original idea but picked it up on a bushcraft forum. The buttplate can easily be removed and the hollow butt stock can hold cordage,a small knife, and a box of ammo, easily.

Btw, sorry to the op for going off rail...my bad. Just wanted to add my experience with a firearm that is for the same purpose.

Regards,

ezra

Last Edited:
There is a smaller outfit that makes them in the original 14" configuration. And I've seen a few papered originals on the NFA market. Details on the former can be found here. Cheers. :)
Always the gentleman. Thanks for the linky CG!
I see they offer they original .22 Hornet / .410 combo. That's very appealing!

Dean

View attachment 552882 Hi Dean,
I am used to shooting ARs with my nose close to the charging handle. I am 6-1, 235# and the rifle feels like a toy but is perfectly shootable, using the iron peep sight or a red dot on an after market rail. I have not tried using a scope on it because it is a short range P linker and meat getter for me and if I want to shoot 100 yds, I have CZs for that. No one that I know of makes a replacement stock but there are YouTube videos of guys making wire stock conversions. I prefer to keep it the way it is to ride in a Cordura shotgun scabbard on my pack or tucked away in my truck lockup. It is quite accurate as-is and I practice with CB Longs and a 2" gong at 37yds in by back acre.
If you can, pick one up and shoulder it at your legs or Bi-Mart. You will be surprised. Not my original idea but picked it up on a bushcraft forum. The buttplate can easily be removed and the hollow butt stock can hold cordage,a small knife, and a box of ammo, easily.

Btw, sorry to the op for going off rail...my bad. Just wanted to add my experience with a firearm that is for the same purpose.

Regards,

ezra
I'm gonna have to look into this one.
I don't think I can make the stock work for me, but if its half as good as the praises you adorn it with, its at least worth a look-see...especially at that price!
Thanks for the tip. I would've never thought to give that one a second glance.

Dean

Hi DeanMk,
I am 6-1" and 235. If you are a lot taller with longer arms, the plastic stock probably won't work. But...they come with a solid wood stock as well and that can be modified with an additional hunk of wood or a pad cut from one of those extra thick sole zori type sandals. Just a thought.
Also, some folks have had light primer strikes with some of the Rascals. Rather than sending it back to Savage, there is an easy permanent fix on YouTube that removes and modifies the firing pin slightly. Mine has not had the problem in about 600 rounds so far.
Regards,

ezra

I'm 5'11" and 280, but I'm recalling my H&R 20 ga.
I think I either got a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon butt stock with that gun, because the LoP is supposed to be 14.25" but it only measure 13 7/8"....juuuust short enough to sit on my shoulder, but not into it.
Half a box of Rabbit and Squirrels was all I could take before I called Mercy and threw in the towel.
My solution was a slip-on Limb Saver.
Now, full house Duck & Pheasant loads are no problem.
...and that stock, without the Limbsaver is still 2 5/8" longer than the stock on the Rascal, thus my concern.
I'd like to take a look at that repair/mod video you mentioned. Can you please post a link?
Thanks.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews