JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's hope not. The originals were heavy pieces of crap so need to reproduce that.

At 4.5 pounds they were lighter than the Savage combo of the time. Not sure if Savage is still making the Model 42 (it isn't listed on their website, but I see them in LGSs from time to time), but they are lighter than the old wood stocked ones and not much heavier than the M6 Scout and probably better quality.

I have an M6 Scout, and it is ok. I also have a Savage 24 in .223/20 with plastic stock and it is better but heavier (mostly due to the heavier barrels, especially the .223 barrel) and not as compact.

Chiappa made their version of the M6 Scout (the Double Badger) and has for some time now although their site does not list the survival buttstock combo version.

Chiappa Firearms - DOUBLE BADGER

Back to the M6.

It was never intended to be a masterpiece of any kind. It was originally designed as a military aircrew survival weapon, to perform multiple roles, albeit marginally. It was cheap to make, simple to operate, robust, and relatively compact, especially with the 14" barrels.

Yes, compared to a nice shotgun, a nice rifle, a nice anything...No, it doesn't compare either in performance or aesthetics. It was never intended to compete.

Ugly, crude, and underperforming, that would still be my preference over a nicer gun that might have not survived an airplane crash. :cool:

Last Edited:
The 30-30 X 20 GA looked like a good combination, but hard to find.:(

I would like one of these...found some online at Guns International this morning...
I would also like to have a Savage 24 in .22lr / 20 gauge , be a neat gun for grouse.

As for the M6 and copies thereof...
I think that they are a neat idea...and I'm glad to see 'em back in production...but the looks of the gun , just ain't my cup of tea....:)
Andy

Not sure what to think, would I buy probably not. It is unique and different and I love that about firearms.
I like weird stuff. Tad high on pricing, so it would be a no go for me, but still interesting.

Back to the M6.

It was never intended to be a masterpiece of any kind. It was originally designed as a military aircrew survival weapon, to perform multiple roles, albeit marginally. It was cheap to make, simple to operate, robust, and relatively compact, especially with the 14" barrels.

Yes, compared to a nice shotgun, a nice rifle, a nice anything...No, it doesn't compare either in performance or aesthetics. It was never intended to compete.

Ugly, crude, and underperforming, that would still be my preference over a nicer gun that might have not survived an airplane crash. :cool:
Thank you.

A .30⁄30 WCF over 20-gauge would be ever so neat-o. It has been a while since I've seen one.

Tangentially, while the M6 is utilitarian, the opposite is the M30 Luftwaffe survival rifle.

I would like one of these...found some online at Guns International this morning...
I would also like to have a Savage 24 in .22lr / 20 gauge , be a neat gun for grouse.

As for the M6 and copies thereof...
I think that they are a neat idea...and I'm glad to see 'em back in production...but the looks of the gun , just ain't my cup of tea....:)
Andy
The .22LR/20GA is a perfect combination, and also useful for deer if you carry a few slugs with you. ;)

I've always thought the .357 Mag/20GA version would be an interesting combination.

Having a 14" rifle barrel and a 14" shotgun barrel, does the original M6 require two tax stamps?

No, it falls under the category of an AOW and only requires one $5 tax stamp. From the NFA Handbook:

The "any other weapon" definition also includes specifically described weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more but less than 18 inches in length from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading. The firearm most commonly associated with this portion of the definition is the Marble's Game Getter.

I wonder if you could fit a cardboard 50 rd. box of .22's inside a cardboard .410 box?
Seems like you'd still have quite a few shot shells left inside (the rest might be able to be carried in the butt stock).
Would make a nice little compact little ammo carrier.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads