JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never want to make an animal suffer, heart shot brings them right down and they don't walk off just wounded.
Hear you and agree on the suffering, but that makes it a little hard to eat the best part. Lung shots have worked just fine for me for the last 20 years. And 80 yds? So it didn't suffer more than a second or two? That's acceptable, isn't it?

As you all know, the caliber you choose is only a small part of the equation. Any of the common deer rounds, .243-.300 Win Mag, will suffice if you know the weapon. I personally love my .270 and 7mm-08.

To stay on the original topic so I don't get reprimanded: I think anyone who takes the word of the counter man as gospel, without a second and third opinion, gets what he deserves if he decides to hunt small game with a .458.

I tend to agree with the last guy's last statement about customer culpability. Back in the day, you wanted what your admired and respected elder shot but settled for what you could afford or barrow. learned through hard knocks. today, there is so much available info on line shame on you for not doing some research before you go asking strangers for their opine. A little research will go a long way in telling whether or not the counter guy might be credible or just fluffing his feathers.

Last deer I shot I took with an AR-15. I was carrying an 7MM mag but at the 75 or so feet between me and him I just couldn't see accepting that carnage. A .223 behind his ear was more than effective. A little four point. With a little more experience I would always choose a smaller cartridge. .270 Win being the largest for deer. Course I have not been hunting in 25 years and have no interest in taking game for food unless I had to to eat. Anyone that tells you you "have" to have a certain cartridge or one is the "best" is just showing their ignorance. Usually the best cartridge ends up being the one you have the most experience shooting. I suppose in some ways I am a "do nothing" too. I talk about guns far more than I shoot, I no longer hunt but still have an opinion. I spend a lot of time working on and playing with firearms but have probably shot less than 600 rounds in the last year. There was a time I was shooting 1000 rounds a week but I doubt I will ever be in a position to do that again. I'm ok with being a do nothing I guess ;-)

Last Edited:
Don't get me wrong, I want one in my safe someday - but compared to how many guns get sold in total I'd still put my money on 30-30 being very low on the new production lines.

Part of what I base this on os every time opening day for deer or elk hits and this is what I see on the shelf:

308 - 0
270 - 0
300mags - very few
30-30 & 30-06 - stacks and stacks

To stay on the original topic so I don't get reprimanded: I think anyone who takes the word of the counter man as gospel, without a second and third opinion, gets what he deserves if he decides to hunt small game with a .458.

Depends on the man behind the counter, not all of them are hired help. Some have really been there and know what they are talking about. However you have to find that out over time and in today's drive through get it my way culture most don't take the time. So of course they put minimum wage guys at the counter because so many think buying guns is like buying a burger.:D

Last deer I shot I took with an AR-15. I was carrying an 7MM mag but at the 75 or so feet between me and him I just couldn't see accepting that carnage. A .223 behind his ear was more than effective. A little four point. With a little more experience I would always choose a smaller cartridge. .270 Win being the largest for deer. Course I have not been hunting in 25 years and have no interest in taking game for food unless I had to to eat. Anyone that tells you you "have" to have a certain cartridge or one is the "best" is just showing their ignorance. Usually the best cartridge ends up being the one you have the most experience shooting. I suppose in some ways I am a "do nothing" too. I talk about guns far more than I shoot, I no longer hunt but still have an opinion. I spend a lot of time working on and playing with firearms but have probably shot less than 600 rounds in the last year. There was a time I was shooting 1000 rounds a week but I doubt I will ever be in a position to do that again. I'm ok with being a do nothing I guess ;-)
Dual wielding while deer hunting. i love it.

Dual wielding while deer hunting. i love it.

Honestly I figured there was a far greater chance to plink than there was to hunt. I was probably less than 300 yards away from the truck busting though brush making all the noise in the world not even looking where I was going. Raised my head and there he was. I looked at him through the scope on the 7MM Mag and thought "This is insane" and popped him with the AR. This was in the Shoshone Basin in Southern Idaho. High desert and not far from home. I really did not plan on filling the tag that day.

Honestly I figured there was a far greater chance to plink than there was to hunt. I was probably less than 300 yards away from the truck busting though brush making all the noise in the world not even looking where I was going. Raised my head and there he was. I looked at him through the scope on the 7MM Mag and thought "This is insane" and popped him with the AR. This was in the Shoshone Basin in Southern Idaho. High desert and not far from home. I really did not plan on filling the tag that day.
i was contemplating taking my AR this weekend. now im convinced.

Western oregon deer hunt and walked up on a clearing to see a nice buck. First time I hunted with the 94 win 30 30 but used 150 grain flat point. Deer broadside at about 40 yards and I shot at the heart lung area just. First shot the deer just shuddered then took a step so lever in another round and shot again only to watch the deer run off.

Tracked it about eighty yards into the brush and found it dead with both bullet holes about an inch apart. Never had any other caliber not bring the deer down right away. Shot bigger deer in eastern oregon and the 308 and 270 anchor them immediately.

At 40 yards, the other two caliber don't offer any more of a "kill" than the old .30-30 if one does there job and places the pill in the boiler room.

Not many deer drop in their tracks unless hit in the spine, brain or far shoulder after crossing some serious vitals, and not many run faster away than a direct heartshot deer, they usually run less than 150 yards but they almost all hall arse, head out straight, body low and tail down.

I've taken more deer than I can remember and very few folded right up when hit in the heart/lungs, and most were taken with an -06, more than equal to the .308 or .270.

If one expects a Deer to drop in its tracks every, their in for a surprise and may well assume they missed because the deer ran like the wind ( a sure sign of a hit) and not follow up their shot,,, bad juju.

Spine shot the deer suffers too much and will still pull itself with its front legs to try to get away. Heart shot drops the blood presure and blacks them out. I have killed lots of animals for food and have seen lots of deer killed by other hunters in the group. A good clean heart shot is my preference and none of them have walked away when hit in the heart.

.30-06
.30-30
.308 Win

My grandfather took all of his medium and large game (deer, elk, black bear) with this rifle (an old model 94 in .30-30):

10712830_303288126532726_3962945901327460712_n.jpg

During the depression when bringing home venison, elk and bear meat was part of survival.

It is less about the cartridge or the rifle, and more about the person shooting the gun. I shot the deer above at 10 yards. I could have shot it with almost anything and it would have been just as dead.

Depends on the man behind the counter, not all of them are hired help. Some have really been there and know what they are talking about. However you have to find that out over time and in today's drive through get it my way culture most don't take the time. So of course they put minimum wage guys at the counter because so many think buying guns is like buying a burger.:D
For sure. A lot of the people working in such positions are working there because of their interest in hunting/shooting sports. As such, they may actually know a thing or two. But if you don't know the guy behind the counter, and most don't, then get a second+ opinion before blindly following his advice, yes? And if you fail to do your homework, you deserve the lessons learned in "The School of Hard Knocks".
Just my take on it, of course. I suppose I may have been wrong once before. It could happen again.

Edit: I think we're kinda saying the same thing here.

I just counted. And have a bunch of rifles in 30cal.
Everything from 30 carbine, 30-30, 308. 30-06, and 300 win mag.

I think 270 and 28 cal. guns would be great hunting guns.
I just know 30 call so well that I don't think I will get round to them?:s0140:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews