JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Say, you mentioned Kids and casting bullets: Be Careful. Lead into your kids' blood is so easy to perpetrate. Never cast in the house, never cast w/o ventilation, clean up the area after casting...clean clean clean. Your kids are easily exposed to ingesting lead in ways you can't imagine! Heck, Tri County Gun Club just closed their indoor range because they found lead on surfaces everywhere and are going to have to put a new program in place to control it. Us old guys don't have as much to worry about, but kids are easily affected by the stuff!

Say, you mentioned Kids and casting bullets: Be Careful. Lead into your kids' blood is so easy to perpetrate. Never cast in the house, never cast w/o ventilation, clean up the area after casting...clean clean clean. Your kids are easily exposed to ingesting lead in ways you can't imagine! Heck, Tri County Gun Club just closed their indoor range because they found lead on surfaces everywhere and are going to have to put a new program in place to control it. Us old guys don't have as much to worry about, but kids are easily affected by the stuff!

It's at its worst if it gets into your center mass. :s0112:

:s0112:

I stand corected. My dad Is 80 and he Just informed me he would like some pistol rounds for his 40 th birthday in may.
I have my Father to thank for my all things shooting addiction. wich I like to term as ( A.T.S.D.) Now that I have made up my own mental disorder acronym. the next step will be to get special tax breaks and Incentives for all of us that suffer from ATSD. :cool:

My Dad is 95 and I still take him to the range. He can really shoot. He's a WWII vet.

Thank you for your concern. My boys and wife all are aware of the dangers of lead and the proper care to take in avoiding excessive exposer. My youngest has his own little brass buisness going. when his friends come over and want to help him. He makes sure they all wear gloves and wash after. Hes only nine and is the safty police around here. He dont mis much. He gave me the look the other day , I was cleaning my shotgun .I took the barrel of and laid it on the table pointing at him.

I miss mine to. He also served in the Pacific (Navy) during WWII. Died when I was 19, 50 years ago. I'll be shooting his rifle today at the range.

I dont get to spend enough time with my dad. He lives up in north Idaho. we go up there every chance we get. I am always Amazed when we go out . He is 84 witha broken back. he moves up and down the mountains prety good still and can still out shoot me.

Had another therapy session today. Started out slow with a couple hunded 45 ACP then moved on to some 30-06. Ended it withsome tumbling brass in some new media I got from cabelas yesterday. This rain is brutal,My boys and I are itching to get out and make some empty brass. Tomorrow is the Gun show. I know I will survive another day. Hopefully I can control those uncontolable urges one gets at Gun shows.

If they would still let kids eat lead paint chips, then the lead from casting would affect them less, kinda like it did for you older guys that got to eat lead paint when you were young ;)

If they would still let kids eat lead paint chips, then the lead from casting would affect them less, kinda like it did for you older guys that got to eat lead paint when you were young ;)

Makes one wonder. When I was growing up we had lead in paint. I didn't chew on window sills or furniture so I guess I missed out on that.
We had lead in the solder that held our water pipes together but in our house we always let the first few seconds of the water from the faucet go down the drain so it didn't taste as bad so I guess I missed out on the lead from that source.
I cast not just lead bullets but fishing sinkers as well and learned that the fumes from the pot were not just hazardous, they stunk, so I kept a fan nearby to blow them outside.
Let's not overlook the lead in gasoline that we used to clean paint off our hands and occasionally "tasted" when siphoning some (for our lawnmowers, of course:)

It's amazing what common sense can do. Don't breath things that smell bad, don't put things in your mouth that don't taste good, wash hands frequently, and get on with life. Who knows, the next time one goes to town they may get struck and killed by a bus (2 in 2 days up here in the Seattle/Bellevue area died by getting struck by buses),

All in all, I worry more about the lead that comes out of a firearms muzzle than all the little particles that are involved with the handloading process.

Yes, reloading IS cheaper than booze when you factor in the nights on the couch, or in jail...although riding my motorcycle through the bar is a very fond memory...but I digress! Back to the reloading bench.

Almost had a panic atack this morning. I realized I dont have any more 40 or 45 brass to load. Then I rememerd a budy brought me some 9 mm brass and bullets to load for him. That was a close one.

I find my self in a constant need for brass. Its gotten to the point where the only brass that ever gets scraped is beond repair and due for retirement. Dont think its gona rain this afternoon. I think after church I will take the boys out brass hunting . And do some plinking to.

I find my self in a constant need for brass. Its gotten to the point where the only brass that ever gets scraped is beond repair and due for retirement. Dont think its gona rain this afternoon. I think after church I will take the boys out brass hunting . And do some plinking to.

Constant need for brass? And after you've got a couple K of brass in assorted flavors sitting there on the shelf, you notice you're getting low on bullets. And when you get on-line at you favorite supplier you see the "OUT OF STOCK: Backorderable" next to your favorite bullet! And the panic sets in again!

Mike

I thought I was the only one. :cool: then you end up settling for something else. Go through the all the steps in getting a good work up for the load. and after you are all done you get a E-mail stating your shipment is ready. For the back orderd bullets. So then ,If you havnt aquired anymore brass at that point. You feel a need to go empty more cases to make room for your incoming order. Its a vicous circle and I dont want out.

Take care all, off to more therapy.

Man i thought my day couldnt get any better. I did my first casting session today. Just casting Ingots from range scrap I collected. Will do bullets when I get my sizing dies. I had alot of fun turning those used up bullets into a useful alloy just waiting to be reborn and set free. Just to start the cycle all over again.

I cant wait to turn out some bullets, But for now I will get some more range scrap. I did find a junk yard that only wants .25 per pound for ww. I am going to go check them out on the first.
sofar I only have about 40 pounds of aloy. Will be Happy when I have about 400 lb. in the stock pile.
gota head for bed, Take care all.

MikeJ,

Mike you're over looking the solution.:s0131:

Make your own bullets...:s0155:

Jack...:cool:

I don't see me crossing that line any time soon. I guess I'm attracted to the pretty jacketed bullets too much, and just don't want to handle the dirty, dirty lead.

Mike

MikeJ,

Mike you're over looking the solution.:s0131:

Make your own bullets...:s0155:

Jack...:cool:

I don't see me crossing that line any time soon. I guess I'm attracted to the pretty jacketed bullets too much, and just don't want to handle the dirty, dirty lead.

Mike

So just make your own Jacketed bullets. You can buy jackets and lead "wire" for swaging your own bullets. Lots of guys I see at the range practicing make their own competition bullets. A good press, some swaging dies, and you're in business without having to melt any lead.

Of course that leads to another addiction, making a more perfect bullet.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top