JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am sure this may be redundant for the longtime air rifle shooters but it was big news to me. I own a Diana model 36 .177 and Ruger Yukon .22. The Diana I inherited so I used the pellets that came with the gun and was not to impressed with the size of the group at 40 feet or so, but thought that was the nature of air rifles. I bought the Ruger from Pyramid Air and while waiting for it to arrive read the reviews. Almost every one said "buy the pellet your GUN likes....NOT you"...So I bought several and was amazed at the difference a pellet could make in the grouping. From a group the size of your palm to one the size of a nickel! :)Having shot .22 rimfire all my life and several other guns, a change in ammo was no big deal, with airguns it is everything. Just my 2 cents....good shooting.

Just re-affirming what you said. :)
But, I have also found the same to be true with .22 rim fire. Most is good enough for tin can popping, but off of a bench, it's what your rifle likes.

Just re-affirming what you said. :)
But, I have also found the same to be true with .22 rim fire. Most is good enough for tin can popping, but off of a bench, it's what your rifle likes.
I grew up and did most of my shooting in Wyoming and never did any match shooting so all the ammo was the same to me. I have had guys tell me how good 'match ammo' is but I never got into competitive shooting. Just was putting meat on the table. Saw my dad go 8 years in a row with his old model .270 Winchester and take one elk and one deer with one shot each. Those old Marines never forget how to shoot.

I have been squirrel hunting since I was young so I have tried lots of different pellets and I prefer the crosman pointed pellets in any of my air rifles. They seem quite accurate and have great penetration as well. I sent one through a squirrels head at 20 yds and it ricocheted off the ground and pinged the metal siding on my barn.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Hunti...63982&sr=8-1&keywords=crosman+hunting+pellets

After trying several brands and styles, I also found the pointed style Crosman hunting pellets the most accurate in my Crosman M-177.

Surprise! They were the least expensive, but as with any of the rest, you have to watch for bent skirts on each pellet.:cool:

After trying several brands and styles, I also found the pointed style Crosman hunting pellets the most accurate in my Crosman M-177.

Surprise! They were the least expensive, but as with any of the rest, you have to watch for bent skirts on each pellet.:cool:

I have the crosman M4-177 with a simple red dot sight on it and I like it very much. Just took another squirrel with it today. IMG_1446.JPG

Nice shooting Jason. I shot a large rat my neighbor had caught in a live trap. It was berserk in the cage and I had to give it a quick one through the body to slow it down, before I could get head shot.:cool: Not trying to be sporting, just pest elimination. I have a small range set up to 45' and we shoot the 1" swinging .22 rimfire targets. Using only 5 pumps, the pellets hit the plates hard enough to flatten under the targets and peal them off. I have a small red laser on a 45degree rail mounted under the scope and a small flashlight on top of the barrel.
M4-177-5.jpg

Nice shooting Jason. I shot a large rat my neighbor had caught in a live trap. It was berserk in the cage and I had to give it a quick one through the body to slow it down, before I could get head shot.:cool: Not trying to be sporting, just pest elimination. I have a small range set up to 45' and we shoot the 1" swinging .22 rimfire targets. Using only 5 pumps, the pellets hit the plates hard enough to flatten under the targets and peal them off. I have a small red laser on a 45degree rail mounted under the scope and a small flashlight on top of the barrel.
View attachment 107892

Awesome!:D I practice at about 50 ft and get nice consistent grouping with the M4-177. That squirrel how ever was about 30 yards out and half way up in a 1oo ft birch tree. I've also nailed a squirrel out of the same old birch tree that was very near the top. Lucky shot for sure.

Hi All,

Straight Shooters Precision Airguns offers a pellet assortment sampler pack that allow one to try a wide range of different pellets to find out which one works the best in your air gun. It comes in various calibers and makes finding that magic pellet a whole lot easier than buying 500 pellet tins.

Here is a Link: http://www.straightshooters.com/straight-shooters-full-pellet-sampler-.177.html

Hope this helps.

B.V.E.

P.S. Capt. Jack I still think you need more accessories on that A/R. Just like Packy in Catsh!t One LOL

Yeah B.V.E.

Lots of flack from my brother for putting a $70.00 Scope on a $50.00 rifle.:rolleyes:
You should have heard him when I added the laser and flash light.:D
My AR parts drawer is almost empty now.:(

P.S. Love Cat $h!t 1 :p

Hi Capt'n Jack

The character in C.S. 1 is actually "Pataski or Boe-da" . He's the one with all the AR eye candy. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Cat $h!t One, Here is a link to the Mini Movie:

<broken link removed>

This is a really great little film and has some relevance to today's current events in the middle east.

Enjoy!

B.V.E.

Excellent little movie....As for the pointed pellets, I seem to do better with the round nose and they really slap a squirrel off a limb. I know this will be hard for some of you to believe...but in my urban backyard alone, in the last 6 months I have shot and trapped 230...(yes, it's NOT a typo...230) Half have DRT (died right there) and half have walked into the live trap and been relocated in Noble Woods.

WOW !! 230... Are you sure they're not some kind of hybrid furry ants?
Sounds like you're having a fun time. Are you making stew, or what?:)

My last squirrel I moved off of the road to my house yesterday before it became a pancake. I can't believe it. They run halfway across the road, stop, then turn and run back under your wheels.:eek:
Makes you wonder what goes on in that little brain.:(

WOW !! 230... Are you sure they're not some kind of hybrid furry ants?
Sounds like you're having a fun time. Are you making stew, or what?:)

My last squirrel I moved off of the road to my house yesterday before it became a pancake. I can't believe it. They run halfway across the road, stop, then turn and run back under your wheels.:eek:
Makes you wonder what goes on in that little brain.:(

I am still in awe of the number (I was impressed when I hit 50 much less 100) I made sure they were hauled off far enough to be certain they were not returning. Noble Woods is 5 miles from me, I can't imagine they travel that far each day. I mentioned this to a neighbor whose property borders the woods along Brookwood Pkwy and he said in one summer he trapped and hauled off almost 300. I don't think anyone is aware just how many are living amongst us.

P1000987.JPG Update on the squirrels...up to 446 now...approx one a week lately altho some days I shoot 3 or 4 as they seem to come in groups. I recently bought a Hatsan .25 cal model 95 Vortex (gas piston) and so far it is as accurate as the Crosman I mentioned earlier. I have fitted a silencer from I got off Ebay for $49 and it is the most quiet yet. The Quattro trigger is really nice and easily settable to any pull and distance.

I am sure this may be redundant for the longtime air rifle shooters but it was big news to me. I own a Diana model 36 .177 and Ruger Yukon .22. The Diana I inherited so I used the pellets that came with the gun and was not to impressed with the size of the group at 40 feet or so, but thought that was the nature of air rifles. I bought the Ruger from Pyramid Air and while waiting for it to arrive read the reviews. Almost every one said "buy the pellet your GUN likes....NOT you"...So I bought several and was amazed at the difference a pellet could make in the grouping. From a group the size of your palm to one the size of a nickel! :)Having shot .22 rimfire all my life and several other guns, a change in ammo was no big deal, with airguns it is everything. Just my 2 cents....good shooting.
I use Diablo Exacts for my Gamo .177 and am getting 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. Get a bunch of tester packs and test 20 - 30 pellets each with 5 shots with your gun bore sighted. Whichever one has the best group use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top