JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Squirrel problem in a quiet neighborhood. So I need a SUPPRESSED pellet gun. This looked pretty good, but I can't find one.
What's your budget? If you go with pcp or co2 you can make them ultra quiet with a tko suppressor. Fe this one you can't hear from 20 feet away. All you hear is "thwap" on squirrel. 9 invasive squirrels in the last week all 1 shot 1 kill.

I've never had any luck with break barrel pellet guns, too inaccurate. Nowhere near as quiet as a pcp with suppressor imo. I think crosman/Benjamin makes an entry level pcp gun but you would have to check TKO website to see if they make a suppressor for it. Other suppressors exist but TKO is the one I would swear by. All just fyi.

B865C240-ABD2-4C28-8B11-E60A63BF28D1.jpeg
C3CB1B58-EB85-4DA7-B705-618E18131D0C.jpeg

I don't like PCP or co2 unless it's regulated. You also have to keep it ready, which might not be good for the seals. And they tend to be temperature sensitive.

And old Sheridan pump or such might work. You can still get a Crosman classic pumper which will give you ~700fps (about the lowest I'd go for squirrels) and under 100db noise.

Break-barrels are my go-to. Consistent, always ready, and deadly accurate in the right hands.
diana350mag_may2022_005.jpg
Usually a lot cheaper than a PCP too. Plus no need for a pump or tank or compressor.

I like being able to just grab the gun, the ammo and go. Much like a firearm.

Here's a great newsletter (PDF warning) about Oregon squirrels:

Oregon dept of fish/wildlife seems to say you need a hunting license.
Not sure if that applies to killing ones that are damaging your property, or applies to other species, but here's the site for a bit more info:

Another great article on the subject:

VBB is right, check your local regs to see if you're allowed to fire an airgun in your area.
Portland includes compressed air and springer in their definition of "firearm".

I haven't had the best of luck with Stoeger branded airguns. Get something from Germany, or even Turkey or Spain.
Here's a beautiful example for sale in Portland from this site's classifieds:

Get the right ammo too, which might be trial-and-error. I tend to go with heavy JSB branded pellets. Very accurate and sub-sonic.

Meanwhile, traps or deterrents might be a better choice.

Last Edited:
My pcp airgun is always ready. It's been pressurized for 9 years except for when I replaced the filler nipple. It's always grab and go, and normally used every week. Also PCP is not temp sensitive, but CO2 is.

Squirrel problem in a quiet neighborhood. So I need a SUPPRESSED pellet gun. This looked pretty good, but I can't find one.
Any of the PCP rifles will work dandy for the critters. The problem will be neighbors. If they are close enough you want a suppressed it may not be legal. Check the city or county regs were you live. Many will treat that air gun just like a firearm. If it is legal to use one where you are the noise a PCP in say .22 makes should not be anything close to a problem. I have a semi .22 cal PCP that would certainly kill them humanly and the sound it makes is nothing like firearm.

What's your budget? If you go with pcp or co2 you can make them ultra quiet with a tko suppressor. Fe this one you can't hear from 20 feet away. All you hear is "thwap" on squirrel. 9 invasive squirrels in the last week all 1 shot 1 kill.

I've never had any luck with break barrel pellet guns, too inaccurate. Nowhere near as quiet as a pcp with suppressor imo. I think crosman/Benjamin makes an entry level pcp gun but you would have to check TKO website to see if they make a suppressor for it. Other suppressors exist but TKO is the one I would swear by. All just fyi.

View attachment 1425505
View attachment 1425507
I wasn't sure how to manage the situation, so your comments and illustrations are quite helpful. Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

Some thing else to keep in mind is if you have a squirrel problem, it may be that one of your neighbors is feeding them and encouraging them because they "enjoy the wildlife." If that's the case and they start finding their beloved little critters with holes in them you're likely to incurred the wrath of an angry neighbor and greatly increase the risk of law-enforcement being involved

Last Edited:
Some thing else to keep in mind is if you have a squirrel problem, it may be that one of your neighbors is feeding them and encouraging them because they "enjoy the wildlife." If that's the case and they start fighting their beloved little critters with holes in them you're likely to incurred the wrath of an angry neighbor and greatly increase the risk of law-enforcement being involved
LOL! Good advice. You're probably right. I'll try to keep FPS in the 900-1100 range and shoot infrequently.

Some thing else to keep in mind is if you have a squirrel problem, it may be that one of your neighbors is feeding them and encouraging them because they "enjoy the wildlife." If that's the case and they start fighting their beloved little critters with holes in them you're likely to incurred the wrath of an angry neighbor and greatly increase the risk of law-enforcement being involved
FYI in that case hav a hart live squirrel traps work incredibly well. Peanut butter for bait and dab peanut butter near the entrances. They really work. I've had good luck with the 2 door kind.

DEB68549-9E48-4460-8F43-CF3AB16D5D73.png

FYI in that case hav a hart live squirrel traps work incredibly well. Peanut butter for bait and dab peanut butter near the entrances. They really work. I've had good luck with the 2 door kind.

View attachment 1425738
Thanks for the thought. I talked to Oregon Fish & Wildlife about doing that, and they discouraged it. If I live-trap them, I'll have to transport them to a release site, which is illegal. No real choice but terminate them. I do have a lethal trap. It initially worked well, but now it's misfiring.

Thanks for the thought. I talked to Oregon Fish & Wildlife about doing that, and they discouraged it. If I live-trap them, I'll have to transport them to a release site, which is illegal. No real choice but terminate them. I do have a lethal trap. It initially worked well, but now it's misfiring.
I wouldn't transport anywhere. Most common euthanasia methods that I know of are shooting, carbon monoxide asphyxiation (exhaust in enclosed container), or drowning.

Break-barrel guns are VERY accurate, but the technique for shooting them well (mostly due to the forward recoil) is not unlike learning to shoot a bow or a pistol.

For all household pest control (of the warm-blooded kind), my Benjamin 342 (.22cal pump-up) has done nearly all the work for over 50 years, and I am confident that it's kill total far exceeds all of my other hunting guns and bows combined over the same time period. It is quiet enough at 3 or 4 pumps for noise considerations.

An RWS Model 52 (Side Lever, but plunger-driven just like a break-barrel) was here for a few years, but the Benjamin was so much handier when the "competition-level" accuracy of the 52 was not necessary.

Very recently, I acquired an FX Verminator II .25 cal (also converts to air bow). PCP gun. What looks like a "silencer" on the front of it is merely a hollow can with one reverse-cone baffle just prior to the muzzle. "Hollywood quiet", very powerful and very accurate.

And its just about as big as the Model 52. Benjamin still has kitchen-door duty.:cool:

1684943692116.jpeg
52 years of steady usage place this gun's kill total far above all others combined.

Last Edited:
Good narrative. Thanks for sharing - and a cool picture. When I first posted this, I had no idea I'd get such entertaining replies. Good reminder, in an era of political buffoonery at the highest level, that there are still smart, thoughtful, decent Americans out there. Three cheers all around!

I don't like PCP or co2 unless it's regulated. You also have to keep it ready, which might not be good for the seals. And they tend to be temperature sensitive.

And old Sheridan pump or such might work. You can still get a Crosman classic pumper which will give you ~700fps (about the lowest I'd go for squirrels) and under 100db noise.

Break-barrels are my go-to. Consistent, always ready, and deadly accurate in the right hands.
View attachment 1425549
Usually a lot cheaper than a PCP too. Plus no need for a pump or tank or compressor.

I like being able to just grab the gun, the ammo and go. Much like a firearm.

Here's a great newsletter (PDF warning) about Oregon squirrels:

Oregon dept of fish/wildlife seems to say you need a hunting license.
Not sure if that applies to killing ones that are damaging your property, or applies to other species, but here's the site for a bit more info:

Another great article on the subject:

VBB is right, check your local regs to see if you're allowed to fire an airgun in your area.
Portland includes compressed air and springer in their definition of "firearm".

I haven't had the best of luck with Stoeger branded airguns. Get something from Germany, or even Turkey or Spain.
Here's a beautiful example for sale in Portland from this site's classifieds:

Get the right ammo too, which might be trial-and-error. I tend to go with heavy JSB branded pellets. Very accurate and sub-sonic.

Meanwhile, traps or deterrents might be a better choice.
Just now read your post. A cornucopia of useful information. I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to share. THANKS!

View attachment 1425505
View attachment 1425507
I read your post when it first came out and thought I'd responded. Maybe I closed the browser too soon. In any case, I really appreciate your response. Neat gun pics as well! I'm a longtime shotgunner but don't know diddly about air guns. A bigger and more complex universe than I ever imagined. First-hand accounts like yours offer invaluable insights. Thanks!

Airguns IMO are a great way to keep up one's skillz without the expense, or needing to find a place to shoot in most cases.

I have 75' one one side of the house I use regularly. I typically plink sub-100dB so it's quiet enough to not have SWAT called on me. :)
IMG_4639.JPG

Ya get all the practice of a real firearm, sanz the "bang!" using an airgun. Stance, breathing, trigger, sighting, etc etc.
daisy753target001.jpg

And WAY cheaper.

Even if you're into pistols, it'll save you 100s of $$$ and still give you the benefit (and safety) of some very fine practice.
Draw, aim and pew pew pew.
IMG_4692.JPG

I've helped dozens of folks complete their Oregon CHL qualifications and regularly use airguns to do so.

Airguns have always been a benefit toward shooting with a "real gun".
This is my 1st attempt at qualifying for an award with a pistol after shooting a while with just an airgun...
ravenswoodPistolBullseyeQualifyExpert2017a.JPG

Finally, don't under-estimate today's airguns. They're not your granddaddy's Crosman.
swissarmsNSAcupapril2022a.jpg

My 2-cents, your results may vary. :)

Frank in Hillsboro

Hey, Frank, thanks TONS for sharing your experience. Cool photos. I live in Washington County as well. I just looked at the County website to find pellet gun laws but couldn't find anything. Maybe it's there someplace. Do you know where it's posted - or IF the laws are posted? My address is Portland, but I live in the county. I hope Portland's idiotic laws don't apply. The gun I bought is apparently one of the quietest (Umarex Fusion 2) so maybe, if I'm careful, I can fire away safely.

Hey, Frank, thanks TONS for sharing your experience. Cool photos. I live in Washington County as well. I just looked at the County website to find pellet gun laws but couldn't find anything. Maybe it's there someplace. Do you know where it's posted - or IF the laws are posted? My address is Portland, but I live in the county. I hope Portland's idiotic laws don't apply. The gun I bought is apparently one of the quietest (Umarex Fusion 2) so maybe, if I'm careful, I can fire away safely.
Normally there are city limits, and then unincorporated rules. Where folks do not live within whatever city limits. If your outside city limits just check with your County Sheriff office.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top