JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK - I'm going to beat a dead horse again but having just sold a pistol - I'm in the mood for an AR - but which brand - and which one should I avoid ?

OK I have $ 750 + to spend on a new firearm - OK Suggestions anyone ! I don't need to spend big bucks for all the bells and whistles
I just need a good quality AR that will do the job and not leave me going WTF ?

:huh::confused:

Save your money and go Sig 516.

That's a jump, but worth it.

I've been looking for an AR as well. I shoot rifles left handed so I was trying to
Find a left handed Stag, but no one carries them.

What happened to the guy that used to sell Deltons on here? That was a great deal. Those (i've been told) are good quality and cheap

If you look around, you can pick up a <broken link removed> in some WalMarts for around $750. Around $850 in most LGS.

Well made rifle for the money.

Cheers,
C

It appears that way. I had the chance to fire a few times both the 516 and 716, both are great.
I see no reason to go any other way. Of course just don't take my word for it, go try one out and read reviews endlessly.

I would have to agree. I really want that 516 or the M400 but i would like to stay in the 800s. I might just fork over another $100 or so for the M400.

An AR is entirely in the upper. The lower end is basically just there to hold the trigger! Because of this, I would consider building your own AR lower up to your liking, and buying a nice upper for ~450 to $500.

This is a complete lower for ~$250: DPMS Lower, Complete with AP4 Stock, 6 Position - Impact Guns . This complete upper is $500 DPMS Upper AP4, 16 Inch, M4 Barrel with M203 Cut, Bayonet Lug and Flash Hider, Flat-Top, No Handle - Impact Guns

between the two, you get a really nice DPMS combo. This is also just at your budget!

To save another $100, here is a decent looking upper for $400: DPMS AR-15 upper complete 16" bolt carrier NIB 556 : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com

With either of those, you'll have an incredibly reliable firearm that will be great fun for plinking. Go with a longer barrel if you want better accuracy, but those will do the trick!

An AR is entirely in the upper. The lower end is basically just there to hold the trigger! Because of this, I would consider building your own AR lower up to your liking, and buying a nice upper for ~450 to $500.

This is a complete lower for ~$250: DPMS Lower, Complete with AP4 Stock, 6 Position - Impact Guns . This complete upper is $500 DPMS Upper AP4, 16 Inch, M4 Barrel with M203 Cut, Bayonet Lug and Flash Hider, Flat-Top, No Handle - Impact Guns

between the two, you get a really nice DPMS combo. This is also just at your budget!

To save another $100, here is a decent looking upper for $400: DPMS AR-15 upper complete 16" bolt carrier NIB 556 : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com

With either of those, you'll have an incredibly reliable firearm that will be great fun for plinking. Go with a longer barrel if you want better accuracy, but those will do the trick!

Oy. I'll just hit the last point and OP can dig a little from there. A longer barrel does not give you better accuracy. It should provide more velocity.
If you search you'll see this thread come up time and again. And you'll see the same people saying spend $600 on brand XYZ that is known to cut corners/fall short/not give you the quality they should for the money. You'll also get a few saying unless you buy a Larue OBR, or Noveske or Magpul factory guns you got junk. There's a happy medium. For $750 you can put together a nice AR using an upper from LMT, BCM, DD, Colt, etc. All known quality brands that use proper materials, manufacturing, etc. You could also do a little research to find out which Palmetto State Armory barrels are sourced from FN and pick up one of their uppers. Definitely one of the better deals in the industry right now.
Lowers- a lower is a lower is a lower, until you go with the cheap one that has pinholes misaligned, out of spec areas, crappy finishes, etc. You don't have to spend lots but go with a KNOWN manufacturer. And spend some $$ on a good quality LPK.

Oy. I'll just hit the last point and OP can dig a little from there. A longer barrel does not give you better accuracy. It should provide more velocity.
If you search you'll see this thread come up time and again. And you'll see the same people saying spend $600 on brand XYZ that is known to cut corners/fall short/not give you the quality they should for the money. You'll also get a few saying unless you buy a Larue OBR, or Noveske or Magpul factory guns you got junk. There's a happy medium. For $750 you can put together a nice AR using an upper from LMT, BCM, DD, Colt, etc. All known quality brands that use proper materials, manufacturing, etc. You could also do a little research to find out which Palmetto State Armory barrels are sourced from FN and pick up one of their uppers. Definitely one of the better deals in the industry right now.
Lowers- a lower is a lower is a lower, until you go with the cheap one that has pinholes misaligned, out of spec areas, crappy finishes, etc. You don't have to spend lots but go with a KNOWN manufacturer. And spend some $$ on a good quality LPK.

Thanks! I didn't realize that actually. One thing I forgot: There were a number of uppers and lowers for sale on this board recently, many for a good deal! Just find one you like and go from there!

The nice part is only the lower receiver is a firearm, so you can get everything else shipped to you if you are so inclined.

If I was looking in your price range, you'd be hard pressed to beat this deal:

I do agree it's a good deal. however the headliner on slickguns is misleading; nowhere in the actual description of the rifle does it say it has a barell made by FN. I buy from PSA all the time and the barells that are made by FN actually say they are made by FN and they use the term machine gun steel and are hammer forged.

That's a jump, but worth it.

I've been looking for an AR as well. I shoot rifles left handed so I was trying to
Find a left handed Stag, but no one carries them.

What happened to the guy that used to sell Deltons on here? That was a great deal. Those (i've been told) are good quality and cheap

there is a guy who does the portland shows who carries stag rifles and uppers including lefties problem is right now Stag is back ordered on them at least last i heard but that was months ago they may have them by now. well worth the wait . Stag will also be introducing the first left handed .308 ar platform rifle soon.

I do agree it's a good deal. however the headliner on slickguns is misleading; nowhere in the actual description of the rifle does it say it has a barell made by FN. I buy from PSA all the time and the barells that are made by FN actually say they are made by FN and they use the term machine gun steel and are hammer forged.

I'd be tempted to call PSA and try to verify as this is a model they don't have on their site I could find and it could go either way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top