JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you shoot a spike buck?

• No I wouldn't

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Only the last 3-7 days

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Only if it's a perfect opportunity or shot I like

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Yes from day I take the shot on a spike

Votes: 27 37.0%

• Total voters
Tagged out today.
1st blacktail.
About 12:45.
We were heading out and caught 2 does scooting across the road quickly. I sped up to see where they cut in. That's when the buck popped out, nose to the ground.
I skidded to a stop, threw it in park, hopped out, grabbed my rifle from the back seat, and off i went.
I caught sight of the does, 3 times. Finally saw him as he was chasing the does. Had one brief shot, decided against it. He gave me a glimpse through 2 trees, 20" apart. I was standing on a cut stump and caught him in that small window as he went past. 100 yards on the run.
He went 40 yards and piled up.
7 years of eating tag soup. Up and down canyons. Sitting in rain storms. Questioning what I was doing with my life as I slid down a steep hill tweaking my back. Passing on spikes, putting a hunting buddy on his first deer, bumping animals just to never see them again, bottom of canyons that took hours to climb out of.
It all paid off today near where I started deer hunting and really wanted to harvest my first deer. View attachment 1056498
As he lay...

View attachment 1056501

My wife was with me and watched the whole thing at a distance . She was astonished I found the buck, then in disbelief that I shot him on the run, between 2 trees, while standing on a stump.
Great story and congrats!! Good to hear stuff is moving in other areas as well.

Couple questions.

Euro mount. DIY or take it to a pro?
Pro recommendations?

I skinned it. Probably not the best job. I'd like to have it tanned for a wall hanging.
Reccomendations?

Euro mount for sure. That's just my preference. If you have time, DIY. Pick up some 35% hydrogen peroxide (sold mainly for hair salons. Note: wear gloves that stuff will oxidize your skin). I always boiled with oxiclean. Get some picks and other tools to clean out the small spots. Can use water pressure from a hose to clean some of the junk off. The hardest area is the nasal cavity. I've always very carefully broke the middle cartilage to help.

I don't have any good taxidermist recommendations. But when I looked it up on iFish, this was the consistent recommendation. $250 for a hair on deer hide. I've tanned my own hides before, and honestly, $250 is about right if you don't have to flesh, stretch, etc. it doesn't explicitly say, but a bear skull euro is $250. So probably for $500 you could have someone do it all.
https://www.naturalinstinctstaxidermy.com/pricelist

Last Edited:
Euro mount for sure. That's just my preference. If you have time, DIY. Pick up some 35% hydrogen peroxide (sold mainly for hair salons. Note: wear gloves that stuff will oxidize your skin). I always boiled with oxiclean. Get some picks and other tools to clean out the small spots. Can use water pressure from a hose to clean some of the junk off. The hardest area is the nasal cavity. I've always very carefully broke the middle cartilage to help.

I don't have any good taxidermist recommendations. But when I looked it up on iFish, this was the consistent recommendation. $250 for a hair on deer hide. I've tanned my own hides before, and honestly, $250 is about right if you don't have to flesh, stretch, etc. it doesn't explicitly say, but a bear skull euro is $250. So probably for $500 you could have someone do it all.
https://www.naturalinstinctstaxidermy.com/pricelist

I've heard about having to boil the skull for the euro. Is that correct?

I'm not set up for that.

I'm not set up for that.
That's one way. My daughter will boil them in a crab cooker.
A friend of mine uses who he calls "The Beetle Guy". Apparently the guy puts the skull in a container (barrel?) with a lot of beetles in it. They eat everything clean.

I'm not set up for that.
Yea there are other ways, but boiling is the one that works and isn't gross (like burying it for a year). You need a big stock pot (can find them for canning at winco or other store with canning supplies) and an outdoor burner of some type. There is also a beetle option but I don't know anyone that offers that (I'm sure someone does).

As a side note in regards to Euro mounts and antlers....
If you lightly brush / "paint" the grooves in the antlers with brown leather dye...that will make darken the groove channel / force a patina or re-fresh the color...depending on how dark you go.
Andy

Thanks for the leather dye tip, Andy. I've got Dad's moose antlers that have bleached from being outside for 20 years that I'd like to freshen up.

I do leatherwork and you can also use wood stain. Just know that less is more with leather dye.
Very true...a light touch with many layers , works best in my experience.

Thanks for the leather dye tip, Andy. I've got Dad's moose antlers that have bleached from being outside for 20 years that I'd like to freshen up.
You are very welcome...I used leather dye on this old antler handle pictured below.
Andy
DSC05780.jpg

I like the idea of beetles. It looks like they leave the nasal cavity intact and some of the other detail bone areas.

This guy looks legit and has good reviews. Decent pricing as well.

https://bonesandbugs.com/
Lyle, Washington's not that far away, either, and it's a nice drive from the Metro area.
Last time I went there it took two trips, but this is what I brought back. :D It was worth it.
Shot it.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads