JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you shoot a spike buck?

• No I wouldn't

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Only the last 3-7 days

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Only if it's a perfect opportunity or shot I like

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Yes from day I take the shot on a spike

Votes: 27 37.0%

• Total voters
**Report** been seeing a few deer glassing this week getting out mostly in the afternoons this week. Sunday I saw what looked to be some rut-tivities going on. Buck with 4 others he had big body swelled neck rubbing Christmas size tree could see he was at least a fork but was 400 yards out at about 620pm and getting tough to see. I tried to get spotting scope on that buck but light faded pretty fast and was unable to get on him and ended up losing track of the group.
That's great intel. Not sure if you are in the coast range or cascade foothills, but either way this is a great sign! I've been seeing more ground signs of rut stuff, but still have yet to see bucks out in the day (Alsea Unit).

deer hunting.jpg

Well I went out today. Walked in to some clear cuts and glassed in the rain. Only saw one doe that I watched for 30 mins or so before something spooked her. Stayed there for another 30 to see what it was. After seeing nothing. I proceeded to very fast walk back down the logging road in a big loop out. I happened to make a turn off on a road to check out a pond (for future bear hunting area) and right in the middle of the road facing away was a really nice 3x3. The only buck I've seen all season. I backed up around the bend and dropped my pack. Belly crawled on the road til I could just see it. The road had a hump that obscured everything but his antlers and ears. I scooted back to get my pack for a rest. That was my mistake. I should have just gone to a kneeling position as it was just shy of 60 yards. When I inched back into position, he was now facing me. Cover blown. I could only see his nose, eyes, ears, and antlers. We stared at each other for a good 10 seconds before he turned 90 degrees scuttled off. I checked the wind and then went slowly and quietly after him. Constantly checking my flanks. He was gone. The woods taught me a valuable lesson. If you have a shot that will kill it, take it. Probably should have held at his nose and let it fly since I had a very stable position. Or should have immediately popped up when he turned and sauntered off (though that was 2 seconds or less). It was dumping rain so I'm guessing that's why he didn't hear me but I suspect my move for my pack I mad a noise I can't even comprehend. I'm super upset with myself…. But I guess it's a good lesson and I'm glad I didn't wound it. This was at 4pm 10/22/21 in the Alsea unit.

Well I went out today. Walked in to some clear cuts and glassed in the rain. Only saw one doe that I watched for 30 mins or so before something spooked her. Stayed there for another 30 to see what it was. After seeing nothing. I proceeded to very fast walk back down the logging road in a big loop out. I happened to make a turn off on a road to check out a pond (for future bear hunting area) and right in the middle of the road facing away was a really nice 3x3. The only buck I've seen all season. I backed up around the bend and dropped my pack. Belly crawled on the road til I could just see it. The road had a hump that obscured everything but his antlers and ears. I scooted back to get my pack for a rest. That was my mistake. I should have just gone to a kneeling position as it was just shy of 60 yards. When I inched back into position, he was now facing me. Cover blown. I could only see his nose, eyes, ears, and antlers. We stared at each other for a good 10 seconds before he turned 90 degrees scuttled off. I checked the wind and then went slowly and quietly after him. Constantly checking my flanks. He was gone. The woods taught me a valuable lesson. If you have a shot that will kill it, take it. Probably should have held at his nose and let it fly since I had a very stable position. Or should have immediately popped up when he turned and sauntered off (though that was 2 seconds or less). It was dumping rain so I'm guessing that's why he didn't hear me but I suspect my move for my pack I mad a noise I can't even comprehend. I'm super upset with myself…. But I guess it's a good lesson and I'm glad I didn't wound it. This was at 4pm 10/22/21 in the Alsea unit.
Good work

I was fortunate to meet who I was looking for in the woods this afternoon and she ended up coming home with me this evening. I had an antlerless tag and have been hunting on and off for the last few weeks, no luck. I went up in the woods at three this afternoon, just poking slow down old forest roads, found her standing in the road just before six this evening. She totally knew I was there, made good eye contact and stayed put, close enough for me to watch her chewing the mouthful she had. It took me a minute to ensure that the sticks visible behind her head weren't spikes and, when I had ascertained that, was able to make an easy shot at less than fifty yards, dropped her where she stood. She's gutted, skinned, and hung up for the night (although I wish it was fifteen or twenty degrees colder!), and I'll butcher her tomorrow. I've killed a number of elk before but this was my first deer, a lovely successful hunt.

I wish everyone else good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for!

Don't be. You still have your tag, so it's still "game on". From what I've been seeing in the areas I hunt, things should start getting real interesting fairly soon. Good luck!
Thanks! Hard to keep it all in perspective. Still a few weeks left to seal the deal. I'll probably take a week off work to work it more aggressively. I've noticed the first light/last light thing doesn't seem as important if it's raining or it gets later. This is my first season hunting public land so I feel like a fool. Before I had access to private farm land so it was much easier to establish a pattern.

Got mine this afternoon. Was on top of a sheer cliff and saw him down below having lunch. Shot from above, maybe 30° right through a lung and the liver. Dropped right there, wiggled for a few seconds and laid still. Just a fork each side but he's hanging in the garage!

Got mine this afternoon. Was on top of a sheer cliff and saw him down below having lunch. Shot from above, maybe 30° right through a lung and the liver. Dropped right there, wiggled for a few seconds and laid still. Just a fork each side but he's hanging in the garage!
Nice! How was that recovery…? I've been nervous about taking one at a steep location. What time of day was he out? Congrats.

Nice! How was that recovery…? I've been nervous about taking one at a steep location. What time of day was he out? Congrats.
Easy. I'd hunted there before and knew how to get down to him. A walk around, though knowing exactly where you're heading helps. Was about 1:30

This is my first season hunting public land so I feel like a fool. Before I had access to private farm land so it was much easier to establish a pattern.
dont be hard on yourself, public land hunting is wayy harder. Im thinking its near impossible to pattern blacktail on public land. I sat this morning on my stand watching over my trail cam thats captured hundreds of pictures of deer and bucks and saw nothing today. I checked the cam and nothing visited this spot since last week, when I sat for hours watching it and got no pics then as well.
Prior to October, this cam was one of my most productive cams. I had them patterned moving between this cam and another. I clevery strategized an approach from above to watch over it... but they disappeard come rifle season.

Tagged out today.
1st blacktail.
About 12:45.
We were heading out and caught 2 does scooting across the road quickly. I sped up to see where they cut in. That's when the buck popped out, nose to the ground.
I skidded to a stop, threw it in park, hopped out, grabbed my rifle from the back seat, and off i went.
I caught sight of the does, 3 times. Finally saw him as he was chasing the does. Had one brief shot, decided against it. He gave me a glimpse through 2 trees, 20" apart. I was standing on a cut stump and caught him in that small window as he went past. 100 yards on the run.
He went 40 yards and piled up.
8 years of eating tag soup. Up and down canyons. Sitting in rain storms. Questioning what I was doing with my life as I slid down a steep hill tweaking my back. Passing on spikes, putting a hunting buddy on his first deer, bumping animals just to never see them again, bottom of canyons that took hours to climb out of.
It all paid off today near where I started deer hunting and really wanted to harvest my first deer. 20211023_132011.jpg
As he lay...

57028.jpeg

My wife was with me and watched the whole thing at a distance . She was astonished I found the buck, then in disbelief that I shot him on the run, between 2 trees, while standing on a stump.

Edited, I was incorrect about the years I have eaten tag soup.

Last Edited:
Tagged out today.
1st blacktail.
About 12:45.
We were heading out and caught 2 does scooting across the road quickly. I sped up to see where they cut in. That's when the buck popped out, nose to the ground.
I skidded to a stop, threw it in park, hopped out, grabbed my rifle from the back seat, and off i went.
I caught sight of the does, 3 times. Finally saw him as he was chasing the does. Had one brief shot, decided against it. He gave me a glimpse through 2 trees, 20" apart. I was standing on a cut stump and caught him in that small window as he wet past. 100 yards on the run.
He went 40 yards and piled up.
7 years of eating tag soup. Up and down canyons. Sitting in rain storms. Questioning what I was doing with my life as I slid down a steep hill tweaking my back. Passing on spikes, putting a hunting buddy on his first deer, bumping animals just to never see them again, bottom of canyons that took hours to climb out of.
It all paid off today near where I started deer hunting and really wanted to harvest my first deer. View attachment 1056498
As he lay...

View attachment 1056501

My wife was with me and watched the whole thing at a distance . She was astonished I found the buck, then in disbelief that I shot him on the run, between 2 trees, while standing on a stump.
Congrats! I got my first buck today, too. Figured it took 8 years for me. Feels good, right?

Congrats! I got my first buck today, too. Figured it took 8 years for me. Feels good, right?

Congrats to you as well.

It does feel great.
I remember every encounter I've had with deer. My first day hunting started with me taking a piss over the edge of the road and looking down at a giant 4 point blacktail at 4:15 in the morning. I got back in the truck telling my partner it was going to be a short day. We spent 12 hours in the rain looking for that buck. Never saw him again. I have 2 of his shed antlers from 2 consecutive years.
Now we need to get my wife's tag filled.
We are sleeping in tomorrow though.

The bucks are chasing does. Find the does and stay with them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top