JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you shoot a spike buck?

• No I wouldn't

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Only the last 3-7 days

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Only if it's a perfect opportunity or shot I like

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Yes from day I take the shot on a spike

Votes: 27 37.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Just want somewhere to talk about hunting blacktail this year such as, sharing stories of our scouting, hunting successes/mistakes, and interesting moment out in the field. Hopefully get a few people in here that like talkn blacktail so we can see when things are heating up through the season and perhaps learn a few things from each other then start wackn these elusive bucks. Good luck see ya out there.

Screenshot_20181024-193841_Facebook.jpg

Last Edited:
I'll be hunting the deep dark timber in Douglas county. I'm kicking myself for not having put in for a draw this year. Next year I'll have three points for the draw.

Spent a couple days out scouting for deer/ grouse hunting, so far all I have found is bear sign and a cat.

View attachment 1039573
Cool. I consider any time I see a doe the scout successful. I like to keep checking in on the busy areas with does seems to produce some bucks eventually. I haven't seen much myself but have seen a few does and a couple spike bucks. I was out bird hunting/scouting for deer and elk rifle during the last week of archery. I blasted a few quail but didn't get any grouse. Damn those quail are good and seeing good numbers of those as well.

I spent a little time at the cowlitz county range yesterday afternoon shooting the weapon of choice for this season. Getting pretty stoked!
I'm gonna be pretty selective till the last 5-7 days or so, not cause I'm so great of a hunter but because I enjoy it so much and also want to scout for elk as much as I can. See you out there folks.

In answer to the poll...
No I wouldn't.
I do at times hunt with rifles that actually are from the 1800's...and if it was 1800 whatever...and I was hungry...then yes.
But as a general rule...Nope.

Saw plenty of sign* the last time I was out for grouse ....will be looking again this coming weekend.
*Both deer and bear.
Andy

In answer to the poll...
No I wouldn't.
I do at times hunt with rifles that actually are from the 1800's...and if it was 1800 whatever...and I was hungry...then yes.
But as a general rule...Nope.

Saw plenty of sign* the last time I was out for grouse ....will be looking again this coming weekend.
*Both deer and bear.
Andy
I actually think the spike thing is a ok thing. Not a hater or lover of it. I think it is kind of cool especially for a younger hunter to get a better chance and several other reasons. And I don't really know but I can't see it hurting the population or quality of buck out there either. I voted for passing but maybe in a few years or different weapon I wouldn't.

Last Edited:
I actually think the spike thing is a ok thing. Not a hater or lover of it. I think it is kind of cool especially for a younger hunter to get a better chance and several other reasons. And I don't really know but I can't see it hurting the population or quality of buck out there either. I voted for passing but maybe in a few years or different weapon I wouldn't.
My reasoning is that most spike bucks that I have seen...are small...and I rather get a bigger deer with more meat on him...
If I am going to go through all the work of dressing and cleaning him...and working on his hide.....etc.....
Andy

Thats usually what I see as well Andy. I saw one the year before it was an option with rifle in West Oregon it was body wise no kidding the size of a mature forky or 3 point not sure what was up he was full on rut and neck was big. His spikes were thick tall and bowed too. Defiantly the biggest I've seen over here. He was like 50 yards and for sure just a spike though. Ended up getting a forky that was much smaller body wise on the last morning.

Thats usually what I see as well Andy. I saw one the year before it was an option with rifle in West Oregon it was body wise no kidding the size of a mature forky or 3 point not sure what was up he was full on rut and neck was big. His spikes were thick tall and bowed too. Defiantly the biggest I've seen over here. He was like 50 yards and for sure just a spike though. Ended up getting a forky that was much smaller body wise on the last morning.
Genetics also plays a part in antler size and the amount of points that will grow.

Went out on a scout/bird hunt yesterday only saw one quail running like a mad man to the Bush. I mostly scouted for elk as there's been alot of changes to my hunting area with all the logging where I hunt.
I'm planning on timber pounding this year for bucks as I want to get my eyes on some bulls that have a good chance of surviving the 1st season. And I think I found a good area for just the thing. Broke the GPS out and marked up the roads and shall return. Nice patch of timber and have seen game on many occasions around this location during past archery seasons.
Any of you all pound the timber for bucks? Usually I stick pretty close to the rds and clear cuts during my hunts doing short walks or cruzn but I'm thinking the timber pounding could work well.

Went out on a scout/bird hunt yesterday only saw one quail running like a mad man to the Bush. I mostly scouted for elk as there's been alot of changes to my hunting area with all the logging where I hunt.
I'm planning on timber pounding this year for bucks as I want to get my eyes on some bulls that have a good chance of surviving the 1st season. And I think I found a good area for just the thing. Broke the GPS out and marked up the roads and shall return. Nice patch of timber and have seen game on many occasions around this location during past archery seasons.
Any of you all pound the timber for bucks? Usually I stick pretty close to the rds and clear cuts during my hunts doing short walks or cruzn but I'm thinking the timber pounding could work well.
That's going to be my hunting this year in the deep dark timber. Here's hopig I have better success going after Bambi than I do salmon fishing.

Last Edited:
I used to when I had younger knees. Looking back, I'm not sure it yielded anything more than our typical spot and stalk.

Different time and different place though.

If it's a little feller with milk on his lips, I will pass. Like other have stated, I have seen mature bodied bucks with spike antlers that I couldn't shoot it in years past. This year I'd gladly drop one.

I was at my buddy's place in clatskanie and saw more elk and deer schit and other sign than I have ever seen in my life, collectively or otherwise.
can't wait to grab one.
I hunt behind there alot. I have a 2nd season rifle tag for saddle mt so I'll be hunting that side mostly but I like the scappoose unit better for deer. You gonna hunt saddle mt unit then?

Lesson learned years ago. Double and triple check you have your tag and license before Saturday. I was busy with kids stuff and thought I had my general season tag. It wasn't there when I got ready to go out Saturday afternoon after watching the kids opening Saturday morning sports. We went "hunting" with the camera that year.
Just a teaser of a blacktail that my wife's best friend took a week ago.

View rece.jpg View rece(1).jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top