JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
a 63 Chrysler 300 convertible 413 dual quad,

Now that was probably a fun car, big boat but some great styling and power.

A friend bought a 68 Plymouth Fury at a state surplus sale in the mid 70's. It was a Police Interceptor with a 383, it was just raw horsepower with 3:55 gears in it. That damn thing would pin you back against the seat, roast the tires even at 40 mph. We were going down the road one night floating along about 140 mph even with those 3:55's in it . On recaps. We were a bit stoned and not thinking about that recap thing much. :eek:

He had to finally get rid of it, had a hell of a time keeping tires on it, and gas in the tank. Got a couple of tickets in it too.

!00%. My first ride in a muscle car was a '65 GTO convertible 389 tri-power with 4 spd owned by the older brother of a friend of mine when I was 14 in 1965. Dark blue with white interior I was impressed with it, not only the looks but the acceleration. In the late 60's and into the 70's have ridden in and driven many muscle cars but never owned one. I owned and drove Ramblers, Ford Fairlanes, Dodge Darts and PU trucks. I guess the practical side of me won out. I also worked on a lot of my friends muscle cars.

Now that was probably a fun car, big boat but some great styling and power.

A friend bought a 68 Plymouth Fury at a state surplus sale in the mid 70's. It was a Police Interceptor with a 383, it was just raw horsepower with 3:55 gears in it. That damn thing would pin you back against the seat, roast the tires even at 40 mph. We were going down the road one night floating along about 140 mph even with those 3:55's in it . On recaps. We were a bit stoned and not thinking about that recap thing much. :eek:
He had to finally get rid of it, had a hell of a time keeping tires on it, and gas in the tank. Got a couple of tickets in it too.

Recaps, back in the days when you were lucky to get 10,000--12,000 miles out of a set of the highest premium tires, most new tires lasted 8,000 to 10,000 if you were lucky. I had a pair of tires recapped for my '67 Dodge 3\4 ton PU and only got 4,000 miles out of them. On my last Dodge 3\4 ton PU I got over 40,000 miles on the new radial tires on it and that was with a 14' cabover camper on it. We are spoiled nowadays when it comes to tires.

The Bias PLY tires back in the 70's and 80's did not last long at all especially on hot rods.
I had bought 3 sets of N50x15 in 2 years for my 78 F100 2wd with a 351 W & an FMX auto with a shift kit..... Yeah, I loved roasting tires back in the day (luckily I worked at a tire store).:p:p:p

Those were mostly new cars when I was a young man! Very easy quizz, But some cool cars! DR
100%.
I remember from early 60s to 77 or so when I knew everything on the road (including vintage and foreign), model years, engines, options, race drivers, records, etc., etc. Now they're hard to tell apart with all the aerodynamically streamlined Tupperware, it's become a bit of a blur. Especially motorcycles all shaped like variations of a Steely Dan.

Last Edited:
Yea, the 63 Chrystler 300 was a blast to drive, classy, comfortable for days long crusing, and a ton of tire schreadding power! It had a wicked hit too, you would punch it at 30 miles an hour, and it would explode past every thing on the road! After a few surprised. Mustang drivers tried calling me out, never could get a race:( all in all, probably the meanest muscle car I had ever owned until the 70 R/T! The Rivera was the real sleeper, nobody ever saw that coming until they were chasing it, that old nailhead 425 was pretty strong, especially mid range! Another classy cruiser, and if you kept your foot out of the 4 barrels, got 19 miles per gallon! The Road Runner was a strait up hooligan, no stealth in that car! Still, a very comfortable car and fun to drive, and it actually handled pretty good for a 1960 boat with drum brakes and cheep 50 series radial tires on "CopWheels" and it looked darn good too! Still wish I hadn't sold the 300, that car is worth a ton now days, not that I really care, it was a awesome car to drive!

The Bias PLY tires back in the 70's and 80's did not last long

one of the things that did seem to last forever, at least in semi arid Boise, was windshield wipers.....over the course of about a dozen rigs during my early motoring life there, do not recall having to replace many wiper blades.

The retread shop I worked expected 20,000+ miles from their retread car tires....that was in the early 60s. We transitioned to an updated early computer controlled process that laid a 1"x maybe 5/16" ribbon in a little more precise fabrication process than the older style. My understanding of the day was the rubber compound had more to do with potential wear than bias or non bias. It was a time of transition for basic tire design.

Last Edited:
one of the things that did seem to last forever, at least in semi arid Boise, was windshield wipers.....over the course of about a dozen rigs during my early motoring life there, do not recall having to replace many wiper blades.

The retread shop I worked expected 20,000+ miles from their retread car tires....that was in the early 60s. We transitioned to an updated early computer controlled process that laid a 1"x maybe 5/16" ribbon in a little more precise fabrication process than the older style. My understanding of the day was the rubber compound had more to do with potential wear than bias or non bias. It was a time of transition for basic tire design.

It sure changed in the early 80's with the introduction of the Radial tires. Most people couldn't afford them & stayed with the recaps & bias PLY tires until the big tire manufacturers phased them out by force.:mad:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top