JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I learned a LOT about Vodka on the Vodka thread.:D

Now, I'm asking about Tequila.:confused:

I Like it, but very seldom drink it straight................until I had some Patron a few nights ago.:s0105:

WOW!:s0022:............:s0079:

Bestest' stuff I've had straight..............Smooth........................:s0155:

BUT, it's $50 per 1.75L...........:s0077:

Not more than I can afford, but certainly more than I am going to pay.:s0074:

Anyone know a SMOOTH (like Patron) Tequila for around $35 +/- per 1.5?.....or $22 per L???:s0092:

I do enjoy sipping my Anejo and it is running second place to the sipping of good single malt Scotch .
(not produced anymore) but My favorite and this is the consensus of many in the world was ' PORFIDIO ' . it was just the most phenomenal Single-barrel Anejo for flavor . There are still fine sipping Anejo's to drink though .

I am going to throw this out to you all also who are not familiar with fine sipping Tequila . Like fine single-Malts . Fine Anejo is for savoring straight . Not Mix, which is just sacrilege and in very bad form .
I am not an expert, but I will pop out a few things that I think have learned over the years of drinking it & also walking thew a few distilleries in Mexico .

Most Tequilas you buy in the US are cheep swill & plain crap and just well bar dispenced & used for Mix drinks . Most Tequila bought & experienced are not the true representation of real tequila and in the USA is artificial dyed Gold color to mimic aged Anejo . Hot, Raspy and giving you post after affects of headache and vomit like you been poisoned from drinking .
There are very few good Reposado in the liquor stores worth buying . With the majority best Tequila's being from family owned small distilleries in Mexico and most of them are not exported product to the USA .

( 100% AGAVE ) . 'Reposado' (silver clear) .. & ' Anejo' - longer Aged - ( amber/gold color) . both being very smooth, warm and flavorful .

The best Reposado and Anejo are produced from the prime cut of alcohol from Agave distillation . The distillation process of the Agave is very similar to the distillation process of Rum . So a lot of distilleries take the sugarcane in the off-season in place of the Agave to do Rum . Also the maximum time of distillation ' Aging ' for Tequila's does not go past 2 years . That is the limit and it ages no more for quality & taste .

The Reposado 'silver ' is clear and not distilled as long as the Anejo . With the finer Anejo being barreled & aged in 'used' Oak whiskey barrel casks . That gives the Anejo's there tint of Gold color with there different fine aroma's and taste's . Unlike Whiskey barrels which can be used more than once . ( i believe) They are only used one time for the aging of Anejo .
Fine Anejo has that warm smooth flavor . Smooth like butter sweetness with slight smokey after taste's and aroma pleasing to the tongue and nose .

So as I type this right Now . I cant help myself, am sipping a pull of Anejo from a little Mexican family distillery . It warms my soul .
-
-
ok, ALSO . lets talk .. Raicilla
There is a Mexican ' bootleg like' backyard Moonshine, Tequila . kind of like people here do, for making cheep beer or liquor distilled in there home garages . ' Raicilla '.
it is silver-clear also . It is cheep but still better (imho) than most DogPoop we get sold here in the united states labeled as, Tequila .
OK .. (wait one second ) .... I popping the cap and taking a sip right now and try to verbalize the flavor .
.. It is Not hot . it is smooth . but it does not have the fine after taste & aroma of good . It hits you (not hard) but you got more like that Moonshine Alcohol hit . I can feel it quick, You definitely get hit with a fast buzz with Raicilla . It is smooth good but it a cheep fast fun . Not like the savoring quality of sipping the Reposado and Anejo with friends around the fireplace .

Give this a shot. 100% Agave Blanco. If I recall about $35. Best inexpensive tequila I have tried and I prefer it to many that cost twice as much. image.jpg

I do enjoy ....

I think you enjoy reviewing Tequila on NWFA so you can "sip as you review".:D:D

If you expanded on your reviews, you'd be "3 sheets to the gusts"....:D:D

But..great info...Some I was aware of , but a lot kinda "explains it"..

I'm slowing down my Alcohol consumption (drinking slower, not less............. ..J/K)....and thought a shot a day would keep the liver in good condition, and stop the "mixers"....so.:D:cool:.....

Ahhhhh Tay-Kill-ya..

I once saw a guy get in a fight with a satellite dish in a yard over tequila. Neither of them won.

I'm okay with whatever a restaurant bar will pour into a margarita. But I want a little more from the extra shot I get on the side. Any reposado (it's a type, not a brand), even inexpensive, is a distinct cut above the younger cheaper stuff they mix in drinks.

Reposado = rested in an oak cask, where it takes on some complexity, character and maybe a golden tint (or perhaps not - some remain clear). To my very basic understanding, any gold colored tequila that is not reposado (Cuervo Gold is not) is simply colored to look like it is.

Last Edited:
Guy: "Hey bartender, I want to get really drunk. What do you recommend?"

Bartender: "How about some tequila shots?"

Guy: "No way man, last time I drank tequila I went home and blew chunks."

Bartender: "Yeah, everybody barfs now and then."

Guy: "No, you don't understand... I have a dog named Chunks."

Last Edited:
A little Tequila story.... About 29 years ago I went to a bar with a smoking hot young lady and we did shots... An evening of dancing and 10 or 12 shots each we adjourned to my place for a few minutes;) of fun. I took he home about 3pm. Woke up about 10 with a terrible hangover (we weren't drinking 100% Blue Agave) and gave her a call about an hour later. The first thing she said was "did ya mean it?" Not knowing what the heck she was talking about and being the macho dude I thought I was, I said "Of course I did"
The next thing I hear is her yelling "Mom, Dad.... I'm GETTING MARRIED!
To this day I still don't know if she pulled a fast one or not because I don't ever remember proposing but I sure am glad I went through with it!!!
Yup, we're still married and I am one spoiled SOB :cool:

My opinion.
1800 Silver = battery acid. Actually I've not met a silver that I like.
1800 Gold = Pretty good

Hornitos gold = better yet.

I'm not much of a tequila snob. One of my buds is and he LOVES Cabo.

One of these days I'll pull the trigger on these.

I do want to try the stuff Ron White sells though. <broken link removed> 002.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top