JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Proposal Stopping Confiscation of Guns Now Law

<broken link removed>

A person who legally possesses a gun would not have it seized during periods of martial rule under a proposal that has been signed into law by the governor.

The measure was signed by Gov. Phil Bredesen on Thursday and takes effect immediately.

Sponsors say martial rule is the same as martial law at the federal level. They say the law is necessary after law enforcement in New Orleans went door to door seizing weapons in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Republican Sen. Jack Johnson of Brentwood, one of the sponsors, has said he doesn't expect such behavior in Tennessee, but believes legislation should be in place just in case.

This is one case where you don't want to be a Volunteer in Tennessee!

It's good news. Thanks for posting it.

Also in your defense, it's a phrase: "strike a blow" and one so common that it's actually a cliche. Most anyone would know this. Maybe you guys are just so used to all legal gun news being negative that you made an assumption not inherent in the title.

First thought was OH NO, NOT TENNESSEE...... but looked again. It all turns on the word FOR... indicating the blow is struck in favour of. Now this is good news, And it strengthens Tennessee's position near the top of my list "states most worthy of consideration for my new home" Not sure of the job market therem but that is not an issue for me, as I've a home-based business that works anywhere the Brown Truck goes.

Tenn is also working on state sovereignty legislation, and another piece that tells BATF and DOJ to butt out concernong arms made amd owned intra state. I rather like their values......

nowTHAT is hilarious..... nearly everyone got on your case for a supposed misuse of a common term, and walked right past a HUGE typo/miss-spell. Talk about straining ag gnats but swallowing camels...... funny......

but then, maybe everyone thought "S-T-I-K-E-S" was some peculiar Tennessean vernacular..... sort of like "all y'all", dun fergot, likker, that sort of thing.....

anyway, thanks for making us aware of this bit of constitutional correctness from Tennessee..... we see it seldom enough these days. Maybe Tenn. will inspire some other states to wake up and do likewise....

I love Tennessee. I've spent a bit of time in the Knoxville area and if I was ever to move from the Pacific Northwest, that's where I'd go.

Their family values are what makes this country great, and in that portion of the state, there aren't so many folks that are flying the Confederate flag and acting like dumb hillbillies.

That's the sort of thing I keep hearing.... and I"ve met a few people who live there, they confirm in real time.

Personally, I cou;dn't care less whether someonf flies the Confederate Flag..... once one looks into what it REALLY stands for, I don't have a problem with it. It is NOT, as most
"noathunahs" would think, a pro-slavery or racist symbol at all. No, precisely the sort of State's Rights Tennessee have recently enacted into law is what is at root. Interesting how so many states right now are enacting laws or statements regarding state sovereignty, right of secession, and figuring out ways to get out from under onerous, even tyrannical, federal regulations, just like this bill does in Tennessee. Texas, Missouri, Alaska, Utah......

I might be heading back to Georgia later this summer to visit and join in a great conference outside Atlanta.... I met a man lives in Tenn last month, he is a video producer, raising his family of eight kids on a small farm an hour out of Nashville. He said to contact him and come by if I do a road trip and come through Tennessee..... I've seen pictures of the country, and it is gorgeous. They've just released a documentary on the life of General Thomas Jackson......

now the bit about posing as dumb hillbillies, well, that's another matter. The real thing ain't bad... I've known some and they are great folk. Reminds me of the old cowboy joke, why do they wear tennis shoes? To tell them apart from the truck drivers......

I wasn't going to nor will I ever ding someone publicly about misspelling as I know I will butcher a word or two in my time. Besides, it takes a fool to proclaim a foolish mistake.

Funny how BHO prides himself on being the new Abe Lincoln, are we really seeing history repeat itself?

About the stars and bars... well I am not a historian nor do I play one on TV but if the civil war was really about freeing the slaves wouldn't have President Lincoln enacted the emancipation proclamation before the war started, why did he wait until half way through the war? Was it because the North was considering a truce?

Just something to ponder over.

SF-

B-HO is about as far away from Abe Lincoln as Abe was from George Washington and John Adams. B-HO is more about smooth talking and coming across as an intellectual hero.

Good point about the Emancipation Proclamation... had he enacted that and THEN the South refused to honor it, that could possibly in the eyes of some been reasonable grounds for the invasion of the Southern states. But the bottom line is still state sovereignty, an issue largely decided since that conflict, but not yet completely settled. The backlash against powermongering federal control is increasing...... interestingly, it seems gun rights are close to the center of this move. I suspect this is partly because so many on both sides of the "aisle" regard the Second Ammendment as critical to our national security, individual freedoms, and our future as a nation. Rightly so, in my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top