JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw this article on a guy from Tennessee who was caught smuggling in some suppressors from the UK.
I reached out to "Tac" who just happens to live in the UK and knows all about their laws regarding these items.
Here is his response.

"Yup. So long as the suppressors are made and sold as being suitable for AIRGUNS, anybody can buy one. Of course, it's just a coincidence that they might just be exactly the same as the one sold for use on a real .22/17HMR/.22WMR Section 1 FIREARM....items that have to be applied for, granted and entered on your firearms certificate.

No suppressors designed for use on airguns have a need to get Proofed in either the London or Birmingham Proof House, so no need for a serial number. All those sold for use on ANY calibre firearm not only have a serial number, but are required by LAW to be subject to gun proof, just like a firearm of any kind.

Incidentally, the image in the article shows the inner baffles of a POS so-called suppressor made G*d knows where. If he paid £5 for it he was ripped off."

Hope this helps.

tac

PS - please post this in the firearms general thread so that your fellows can see it.

Excerpt from the Alloutdoor article;

""NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A Murfreesboro man is being convicted by a federal jury for smuggling gun silencers into the United States that he purchased while traveling in England. Nashville prosecutors say 50-year-old Paul Gratton purchased six silencers from a firearms dealer in Sheffield.
Gratton shipped some of the firearm parts to the U.S, while he carried the other parts in a checked bag on his flight back to Tennessee. Authorities revealed that none of the silencers had serial numbers."

Silencers So Easy to Get in the UK that American Tourist Brings Some Home, Goes to Prison - AllOutdoor.com

EDIT to my post above - I checked some of the numerous suppressors in use on our club range this morning and found that only the high-end models had serial numbers. BTW, we are talking ASE and so on, $400+ here in yUK.

There was a VERY nice one on a new Version #2 Ruger precision rifle but my camera had run out. It continued the profile of the tubular forend and worked well, I thought, but then I'm deef anyhow. Being a really shallow person I'da had one just because it looked so cooooooooooool.:cool:

tac

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top