JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have you considered teaching yourself? All you have to do is educate yourself by reading several reloader books and do some research on what reloading components you need. You will also need to have the ability to perform repeated tasks while paying attention to detail. If you are capable of these things, you can teach yourself to reload, it isn't difficult.

Have you considered teaching yourself? All you have to do is educate yourself by reading several reloader books and do some research on what reloading components you need. You will also need to have the ability to perform repeated tasks while paying attention to detail. If you are capable of these things, you can teach yourself to reload, it isn't difficult.

The first thing you do and any good reloader will tell you, is to learn how to replicate and copy.. like I just did here for your sake.
That's code for +1.

It's almost like asking someone "show me how to cook!". Come on. I'm not saying I'm a super-chef or anything but there are these things called basic steps/descriptors in many things.. and they are written down/instructions, though of course these days there's utoob etc.
What I'm trying to say here is you have to "teach" yourself to do many things.. and in this case, there is good incentive.. who wants their face blowed off? In my opinion, that's good incentive to not be cavalier and have someone "teach you" and thereby be absolved of your individual/ultimate responsibility.
It's really not a big deal and you can do it.. as with about anything.
It's not a rocket unless it's a Gyrojet.. and they suck.

Having a reloading coach isn't a bad idea - HotRod helped me out. The key is to understand everything technical before you begin. By that I mean read up on the manuals as others have said. Youtube has a lot of stuff to see, but don't run out and buy everything you think you'll need up front, because you may not need it, and you may end up spending money needlessly. Do the research, ask for the opinions and experiences of others on here, and just take it easy.

What kind of press are you considering or do you have? Have you thought about dies? There is a good die thread going on here right now as well.

you will want to start with pistol ammo,rifle is more involved and takes a little more equipment.
very little money can be saved on shotshell reloading,I"d save that one for last.

..start with reading the ABC's of Reloading,and my second recommendation is a Lyman's reloading manual.there are many others,but one look at mine and you'll know it's my go-to book..the duct tape is the key.lol

If you can find a mentor,great. If not,read the books and come here with questions,we love to help out new guys and gals.

Yeah I'll def have to check some books out and look up some videos on you tube. I guess what I was looking for out of this group was someone local wit reloading experience. I'm 100% sure I can figure it out on my own. I was just thinking it would be nice to have someone to turn to with questions or I could take what I did and show them and be corrected if I did it wrong.
I def do not want someone holding my hand walking me through every step of the way ;)

You will be surprised how easy reloading is. I started reloading for my AR's which is more involved compared to 9mm and 45 ACP and I figured it out on my own. When I got around to reloading for my handguns I was surprised how quick and easy it was since I didn't have to trim any brass. Seriously, it is easier than you think but it does take commitment to do your homework.

Yeah I def want to do my research. I was at wholesale sports the other day picking up some 9mm ammo. Btw umc 9mm Luger 115 grain is 75 bucks for a box of 250. Better deal then I've seen lately.
Ok so I was asking a guy there about reloading. He flat out said not worth it right now you won't be able to find anything. Is that the case or was he over exaggerating a little bit?

Need a good recommendation on a starter reloading machine.

Bring your questions here, someone will answer them. Most questions have been asked a hundred times before, but if you arent sure ask. Better to ask a question than make a mistake. Read first, then ask specifics to what you are doing.

Up till now I've been limping along using bullets, powder, and primers I had stored away. I have been able to replace some of that stuff lately, and I see things improving. You should be able to get started if you are patient, load what you can find parts for, and wait for a good deal on what you don't have. I taught myself, you can too, and what isn't covered in the books makes good discussion on forums like this.

powder and primers are hard to find right now but not impossible.Tons of brass to be had,and many different kinds of bullets are also available.Yoiu have one advantage,you don't know what the 'old' prices were so we don't have to hear u gripe about paying a few bucks extra these days. LOL .. 'old' reloaders gripe all the time about prices,but they is what they is right now. :(
How much money do u have,roughly,to throw at the hobby/pasttime. ? YOu can start real cheap with Lee dippers for measuring powder and a simple basic press,or jump in with both feet and mortgage the farm for a 'bells and whistles' setup.

Yeah I am looking for a basic press I would like to be able to do 9mm and rifle rounds. (30-06 and 223) I don't need the most expensive stuff out there. Maybe a used press someone has for sale? Once I get decent at it there is always room to upgrade.

What does prices run for everything. Just depends on the quality? What's a good price range I should be looking at for purchases.

average prices off the top of my head...
dies 35.00-60.00 you want carbide for pistol,rifle are pretty much all steel,no carbide sizer ring.
calipers for measuring 25 bucks.
press,start at maybe 50 bucks used,a REAL good one,140 bucks for a Rock Chucker...
powder measure,good used on like Lyman 55...50 bucks. Lee makes cheaper ones,Lyman's is not a 'cheap' one.

.bullets,start at a hundred bucks a thousand,depending on type,cast lead is the cheapest...
brass,cheap especially if u can find most of it after u shoot it,lol.
primers,45.00 a thousand +-.
tumbler and media 65.00 for cleaning and polishing the brass.
powder 28.00/ pound.. or so.. there are 7000 grains per pound,so if a load takes say 4 grains (pistol) you get a lot of bangs from a pound.

the fun of shooting your own reloads...priceless !!! :)

Reloading is an expensive way to save money.

But it sure is fun!

I'm a newbie at reloading but have managed to figure things out by reading lots of books, manuals, websites and watching videos. I'm far from being mechanically inclined but it ain't rocket surgery! Take your time and you'll figure it out. Besides being fun there is such a sense of accomplishment to shoot ammo that you crafted with you very own hands.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top