JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you all use for Taxes?

I am sure some have simpler returns than others.

I am just interested in what people use and thoughts on that.

This year I am having to help my mom with hers, and she has been going to a preparer for years, but hates having to spend $150 for the service.

The past several years I have been doing my own online with Tax Act (online / cloud)

I used Turbo Tax and ran 76 bucks to file state and federal electronically. I had the fed return in less than a week and still waiting on the state. Some friends used a free service and it didn't catch the kicker, so they had toemd their returns.

What do you all use for Taxes?

I am sure some have simpler returns than others.

I am just interested in what people use and thoughts on that.

This year I am having to help my mom with hers, and she has been going to a preparer for years, but hates having to spend $150 for the service.

The past several years I have been doing my own online with Tax Act (online / cloud)
Used FreetaxUSA this year. Can't remember if it's the same one as last or not. For ours since we seem to be considered part of the 1% I had to pay them $10. To me well worth it. Just answered the questions and sent it in electronically. Within minuets I got the confirmation that the IRS accepted it, just wanted more money and let me know I had till April to pay them.

I've used turbo tax for years and have never had an audit or anything so I'll most likely do that again.

I get the deluxe edition for $40 at Costco normally. Will especially need it for the small amount of OR state I've paid and my wife's large amount of work write offs.

Our taxes are fairly complex, so we have had a tax preparer handle said for most of our married life. It costs more than TurboTax or HR Block, but is worth it to us.

I did turbotax as i have for the last 7 years.
Easy, fast, and does all the work.

I don't have a lot of deductions.
Just home interest, student loan interest, and kid stuff.
Completed it and got my refund about 10 days later.

For my work years I had a lot of expenses in travel and just doing the contracts so I hired a great professional to do my taxes. One good thing was if the IRS had any questions on my return my tax account would back up the deduction if need be. I believe because he was so professional I never got audited in 20 years.

Today I make far less money being retired and not much to take off in deductions but I still pay him $145 to do my taxes and that $145 is tax deductible.

I've used Turbo Tax for the last 4-5 yrs. Filed and returns were accepted 1/29 and got the fed refund on the 7th. Oregon's gonna suck every little bit of interest they can evidently, haven't heard from them.

My tax situation is pretty simple. Just about as simple as they come. And I routinely pay $250-$300 to have my CPA handle it. And it's the best $300 I spend all year. I want no part of dealing with that mess. And I want someone on the hook to go with me if the jack booted thugs ever decide to audit me.

One day when I am King, we will have a flat tax. And 90% of those blood suckers at the IRS can kiss their cushy jobs goodbye. Remember...pencil in "Cabo" in 2020. You're going to love my immigration plan! :)

Been using Turbo Tax for about 9 years now....

Unless you make over $250k a year (or you fail to enter all W2's, 1099's, etc (because it's reported income to the IRS), your chances of an audit (or requests for more info) are infinitesimally small because it would cost the IRS more than what they could possibly get out of you at the maximum possible rate.

Many years ago I forgot to claim a 1099 for $400 and I got a letter about 6mos after I filed and got a "refund" that I owed $200+ because of self-employment tax. I filled out a 1040X showing my itemized deductions for that particular transaction which put me under the threshold and the IRS said, "thanks, you owe nothing".

Other than that... I've never had any extra-curricular IRS interactions.

I've been using TurboTax for the last 10 years. It's not the cheapest product but it is well designed. I always calculate my taxes using a spreadsheet as a crosscheck. This year TurboTax showed I had a refund $500 larger than I calculated. Checked the numbers and it was giving me a larger medical deduction. Called them up and spoke with a rep. When the new tax law was passed, Congress reduced the medical expense limitation to 7.5% retroactive to 2017. My manual calculation used the 10%. So indeed, I was entitled to a larger deduction.

Got my Federal refund in 6 days. The state is sitting on it so they earn interest. Last year they released my refund on April 15, the last day they could do so without paying interest.

I am sitting in my accountants office right now, about to finish my return. Maybe next years return will be simpler, esp with the Trump plan, but I will still probably have him do it, since the "free" tax software is only free if you use a 1040EZ. We have itemized returns now, so it'd cost us either way. He saved my bacon last year, and this year looks much the same. Hes worth the extra $$ to me.

I am sitting in my accountants office right now, about to finish my return. Maybe next years return will be simpler, esp with the Trump plan, but I will still probably have him do it, since the "free" tax software is only free if you use a 1040EZ. We have itemized returns now, so it'd cost us either way. He saved my bacon last year, and this year looks much the same. Hes worth the extra $$ to me.

Tell Bernie I said.... :s0162:

:D

Bernie can eat a bag of phallus. But its usually Oregon that winds up with a larger bill for some damn reason. And if they get their way and do away with the tax cuts to s corps and LLCs, they'll get even more. And theres the gross reciepts crap they are wanting to shove at us too.:(

Since they can't pass a sales tax, the legislature is doing it on a piecemeal basis. When they passed the highway bill last year there was a sales tax on the sale of new vehicles. I bought a new car a couple of weeks ago and I was aware of the tax. When the sales order was prepared I noticed a "privilege tax" was listed. I asked if this was the sales tax that Oregon passed. The salesman said they are not allowed to call it a sales tax and must refer to it as a privilege tax. o_O

Im using turbotax online this year rather than buying a CD. It is a bit sketchy since it asks for employer EIN off line B of the W2, but its in line D as well as some other nonintuitive features to capture home office credit.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top