JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello I need ideas. I think I've decided to sell my F150. It gets 11 miles to the gallon and I don't really use a truck that much.

I'd like something AWD or 4WD and decent on gas (I'd be Happy with like 30ish MPG) the more the better. I'd also like some decent space maybe like a hatch back. I don't really know what's out there.

I'd love your ideas. Not really partial to brands but need something reliable and cheeper to get work done on. My budget is about $8k. I'm not scared of "high miles" much appreciated amigos

Older Subaru Forester maybe. Prices on anything, even severely used cars, have gone through the roof.

I don't own one, but several of my immediate family members have Suburus. Forester and Outback. They all swear by them.

In the last 20 years, lots of people have bought pickups "who don't really use them that much." It's the thing to do, fill you driveway with vehicles. And they kept doing it all along when gasoline got to and stayed around $3. Now at $5 in the PNW, it's starting to hurt.

Keep the F150. Get a motorcycle.

My Land Cruiser gets ~11mpg in the city, 15 on the highway. My Ram truck gets 14 in the city, 15 on the highway.
My motorcycle gets 50mpg and leaves me with a smile every where I ride.
I ride year round.

I'm not really a fan of the Subaru Forester. Had a 2014, didn't care much for it. Those squirrels under the hood really screamed for Sake when I needed to accelerate. The CVT was always slow to respond with down shifting, and the camera "collision avoidance" system slammed on the brakes two times at highway speed (nothing in front of me).
It was wrecked when a kid texting rear-ended me last year. On a motorcycle, I would not have been stuck where I was.
Two friends and my oldest kid have Rav 4's I find them to be much nicer than the Forester.

I've gotten 25-28 mpg with a 2wd 4 door 2001 Kia Sportage, 5 speed manual and 4 cyl. I would think a similar sized vehicle with AWD could get about the same, like an old Forester, or the RAV4. But these have lack of space. A Ranger, S10, Colorado, all ought do good gas with manuals... even better with diesel n manual, IMO.

On the other end...

1984-1996 GM FWD A-Body wagon. Buick Century and Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera;
3.3L buick V6, or 3.1 L Chevy V6, both with 4 speed auto Overdrives... 30+ mpg on highways; can fit twin mattress and box and little else with back seat folded down.... 205/70R14 All Seasons or Snow tires, a beast in winter. Volvo AWD wagons might be easier to find. Harder to get parts and repairs but also true for VW, MB, and BMW wagons :rolleyes: Ford Transit Connect 4 cyl small and high fwd van supposedly does 28mpg+ on highways but they dont have much snow/off road ability from what I've seen. Lately the big trend and expensive... imported 25+ year old Japanese 4x4 mini cabover vans of approx similar size to old VW buses/minivans. They're basically van bodied versions of the small 4x4 Japanese "Kei" cabover trucks popular with farmers and gardeners around here

2007-2009_Suzuki_SX4_(GYB)_hatchback_(2011-11-08).jpg 257049.jpg

These little Suzuki sx4s have been around a couple decades. Great awd , and awesome mileage with the manual transmission. My brother is currently using one for his work daily. Interior space... not great.

I hear ya. I kinda do that too, but I kept my truck and just went with a small inexpensive run around vehicle. We've had a few Dodge neon's over the years. Some as starter cars for the kids and a couple run arounders for me. We've had very good luck with all of them.

Mainly, when you need a truck, you NEED a truck, and replacing one is completely through the roof these day. Prices what they are, that might be another reason to try and spend for only what you absolutely need in a "point A to B" vehicle.

A motorbike is certainly a good option too, but for me and the area we live in, it's just not an everyday use solution. That... and I like heat... and A/C when I drive. 😜

Depending how nice you F150 is you might be better at keeping this pickup otherwise I guess I would sell. My car I mostly drive is a 2008 Subaru Impreza sedan. It getrs 30 MPG on freeway but goes down to 25 MPG mixed driving on city streets and freeway which what I normally drive. The newer Subaru's have a 6 speed transmission where my older one had 4 speed automatic with overdrive. I do have a manual shift mode that I use quite a bit driving how from work. The newer Subaru's have paddle shifters now a days as well. I was given a Crosstrek when I was have my Impreza serviced and I really liked it. Higher ground clearance and larger tires than my Impreza.

Last Edited:
Subaru Forester, loyale, or outback are the first that come to mind.

View attachment 1259102View attachment 1259103

These little Suzuki sx4s have been around a couple decades. Great awd , and awesome mileage with the manual transmission. My brother is currently using one for his work daily. Interior space... not great.
Had a newer Suzuki a while back when they where selling in the states. They are a massive crap pot of random parts. Motor by Chevy, water pump by some Aussie company, electronics by some Chinese company. Nothing meshed well enough to reach 100k. Likely why they didn't last in the states. Ask yourself, see many Suzukis on the streets (old desirable sidekicks don't count).

I see older Subarus all the time. They last-ish. They typically leak oil after 80k. Or have some form of seal issues at higher mileages.

Another I see often is older CRVs. The ones that had the same engine as many of there older Civics. Engines and transmissions usually lasting 300k or more. Body and chassis likely falling apart far earlier than the drivetrain.

Another random consideration. A Toyota Yaris. They are, well pre 5-6 a gallon gas, cheap. They have high ground clearance and are very light weight. My wife's older Yaris was fully capable of getting anywhere something with 4 wheel drive. It wasn'ta rock crawler, but it could get up a steep dirt road without any issues. I imagine a set of all trains would have greatly helped too. Mileage was anywhere from 40-60 a gallon depending on how you drive. Mine was on full suspension and gutted inside. I got up to 60-70 mpg if I hypermiled.

Had a newer Suzuki a while back when they where selling in the states. They are a massive crap pot of random parts. Motor by Chevy, water pump by some Aussie company, electronics by some Chinese company. Nothing meshed well enough to reach 100k. Likely why they didn't last in the states. Ask yourself, see many Suzukis on the streets (old desirable sidekicks don't count).

I see older Subarus all the time. They last-ish. They typically leak oil after 80k. Or have some form of seal issues at higher mileages.

Another I see often is older CRVs. The ones that had the same engine as many of there older Civics. Engines and transmissions usually lasting 300k or more. Body and chassis likely falling apart far earlier than the drivetrain.

Another random consideration. A Toyota Yaris. They are, well pre 5-6 a gallon gas, cheap. They have high ground clearance and are very light weight. My wife's older Yaris was fully capable of getting anywhere something with 4 wheel drive. It wasn'ta rock crawler, but it could get up a steep dirt road without any issues. I imagine a set of all trains would have greatly helped too. Mileage was anywhere from 40-60 a gallon depending on how you drive. Mine was on full suspension and gutted inside. I got up to 60-70 mpg if I hypermiled.
The Toyota matrix was a bit of a sleeper too. Not awd tho

I was trying to hit the cheap/gas friendly/awd. Apex

Older soob is definitely a no brainer.

I am for keeping the truck and adding a small car. Kia is good if you stick to 2.0 or bigger engs. Subaru also pretty good based on experience.

Depends on what model year your truck is. If 90s, yeah. Stuck with 10 mpg but if newer maybe you can do things to get better mpg. I get 16 mpg on my 2014 Ram. Have gotten up to 20 depending on tires, how I drive and accessories.

So... A client has offered me a very well maintained '06 Lexus 400H for cheep (under 1/2 market).

Trying to come up with a reason not to jump on it. Looks like it will check all the boxes , good winter vehicle (AWD), decent mpg, will tow anything I normally tow (3500 #), may even be a replacement for my Matrix that stays parked most of the winter.

Been researching these for a few days now and not finding much to scare me away.
Kind of thinking worst case #1 I can flip it and make 3-4 grand, worst case #2 I end up keeping it.

We have one of those Cubes at work and to be honest there is a ton of space for a big dude and holds a bunch of tools - gets like 30mpg.

My vehicle is a truck with 15 mpg cuz I need more space and ladders but honestly the cube is nicer.

I am for keeping the truck and adding a small car. Kia is good if you stick to 2.0 or bigger engs. Subaru also pretty good based on experience.

Depends on what model year your truck is. If 90s, yeah. Stuck with 10 mpg but if newer maybe you can do things to get better mpg. I get 16 mpg on my 2014 Ram. Have gotten up to 20 depending on tires, how I drive and accessories.
It's a 1999 F150 there's not really I can do to get better MPG

What year was your Yaris?

I've had two Toyota RAV4 Hybrids (2016 & 2019) that each consistently averaged 30+ MPG during mixed city/hwy driving. The mileage was noticeably better, averaging up to 39 mpg during vacation trips with lot of state highway driving (fairly steady 50-60 mph).

Pluses for us: "Intelligent" AWD, "good enough" ground clearance, and plenty of cargo space. One downside for our needs: RAV4 cargo area is too low for hauling recycle & trash bins to pavement, so I kept an older 4 cyl pickup truck for trash day & light hauling.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top