JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So with my recent mishap of trying to use Bullseye in a chargemaster, I am rethinking the idea of single stage vs. progressive presses vs turrets. Don't get me wrong . .. I love the Chargemaster and it works just fine for my rifle rounds with my single stage press.. But 100 rifle round last awhile. I have my RCBS RC Supreme and it works fine, and I can throw Bullseye for pistol rounds using the powder measure I still have before the Chargemaster... but to do any kind of volume is going to be slow. I am wondering if I should make the leap to a turret or progressive... progressive presses are kinda a lot of ching... What is the pros and cons of progressive presses vs turret? If I am looking to load 500 rounds in a setting, is it worth a progressive or can I get equal results with a turret?

I have the Lee Classic Turret press. For powder measuring I use the Lee Auto-Disk and the Lee Auto-Drum. Both measures are easy-to-use and accurate... with non-stick type powders. The Auto-Drum is a bit nicer, because I can dial in an exact measurement once, and the throw will always be the same the next time I use it.
The press is quite convenient, for me. I can use it as a turret.. I can use it as a single stage. Dies are in separate 4 hole turrets.. always ready to drop in and go. The process is especially nice for pistol round loading. All loading steps are completed, in sequence, without going off-press. For rifle cartridges, I have to do all case prep in separate steps, then turret the powder, bullet seating, and crimping in sequence. But, we all know rifle case prep is tedious. Not the fault of the press.

I use a Lee turret press with the Lee auto-powder dispenser, but only for .357Mag, for which is was specifically set up.

Everything else I do on my one Rockchucker, bought as a reloading kit back in 1978, and still cranking them out.

FWIW, I reload

1. Two different .308Win.

2. Two different 7x57 Mauser.

3. Two different 6.5x55 Swedish.

4. Two different .357 Magnum - lead and FMJ.

5. Three different .45-70 Govt - two nitro and one BP with three different bullet weights.

6. 7.5x55 Swiss.

tac

So with my recent mishap of trying to use Bullseye in a chargemaster, I am rethinking the idea of single stage vs. progressive presses vs turrets. Don't get me wrong . .. I love the Chargemaster and it works just fine for my rifle rounds with my single stage press.. But 100 rifle round last awhile. I have my RCBS RC Supreme and it works fine, and I can throw Bullseye for pistol rounds using the powder measure I still have before the Chargemaster... but to do any kind of volume is going to be slow. I am wondering if I should make the leap to a turret or progressive... progressive presses are kinda a lot of ching... What is the pros and cons of progressive presses vs turret? If I am looking to load 500 rounds in a setting, is it worth a progressive or can I get equal results with a turret?

How fast do you want to chunk out your 500 rounds?

Straight wall postol and revolver I can knock out 150-200 safely in an hour on my LCT with the auto-drum and Inline Fabrication upgrades.

.233 I'm running about 100 per hour, i probably could speed that up if I wanted.

I usually don't run too hard though as I just kind of enjoy the process of making a cartridge from primer to crimp 1 at a time. I would say if you want to limit your bench time and handle pulls the progressive might be better for you.

You can get a bit more production out of a LCT over a single stage, but it's not close to what you get from a progressive that is set up right and poppin'.

I can if needed crank out a thousand plus in a hour on a xl650 a turret will do at best a quarter that (4 pulls of the handle per loaded round versus 1) the machine pays for itself if you shoot any decent amount 100 rds of .45 a week payed for mine in less than a year.

Back in the GODs, when three of us used to shoot police pistol, I used to crank out between 900 and 1200 rounds a week of .38 Spec loaded in .357 cases. It's hard to believe that with all the REAL crime out there, the gubmint of this country actually paid sticker price for every single item of reloading gear and brass that we were made to hand in. I kept only what I needed, and used the money to fund four new rifles and enough powder and bullets to keep me going for the next ten years and I STILL had almost $30000 left...

tac, still smarting after nineteen years.

Well right off the bat if you throw your charges with a powder measure like most competitive benchrest rifle shooters or world class bullseye pistol shooters do you'll triple your through-speed right thar. lol

If you are located close to Portland I have a Dillon Square Deal B set up that you can try out. I also have a couple of SDB's for sale. They are an excellent progressive press, the only limitation is that they load pistol calibers only.

If you are located close to Portland I have a Dillon Square Deal B set up that you can try out. I also have a couple of SDB's for sale. They are an excellent progressive press, the only limitation is that they load pistol calibers only.
Yes. A Square Deal for a handgun caliber or two (proprietary dies etc.) has always been a good way to go for not a whole lot of money.

Yes. A Square Deal for a handgun caliber or two (proprietary dies etc.) has always been a good way to go for not a whole lot of money.

What's the deal with the proprietary dies on the Square Deal? If it had standard thread would any other die work? I always wonder why Dillon did that. If I could use dies I already have I would have a Square Deal on the bench right now for pistol.

What's the deal with the proprietary dies on the Square Deal? If it had standard thread would any other die work? I always wonder why Dillon did that. If I could use dies I already have I would have a Square Deal on the bench right now for pistol.
It's little. It'd have to be way bigger overall if it used standard. just the way it is/was.. I believe it's discontinued now but it's a fine rig..

The only thing I can think of is that they were trying to keep the tool as compact as possible. The four-die tool head is only about 2" square.
Not discontinued, still on their website. Currently $389.95

That is very generous of you :D. I might just take you up on that; I am only about 20 miles from Portland and I am usually there at least once a week. I am thinking of a press pretty much dedicated to my 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 38 Spl./357 Mag rounds....

I watched the demonstration video on the Dillon site for the SDB; that looks like a pretty slick set up. Are the dies proprietary to Dillon, or can I use my RCBS dies?

How fast do you want to chunk out your 500 rounds?

Straight wall postol and revolver I can knock out 150-200 safely in an hour on my LCT with the auto-drum and Inline Fabrication upgrades.

.233 I'm running about 100 per hour, i probably could speed that up if I wanted.

I usually don't run too hard though as I just kind of enjoy the process of making a cartridge from primer to crimp 1 at a time. I would say if you want to limit your bench time and handle pulls the progressive might be better for you.

You can get a bit more production out of a LCT over a single stage, but it's not close to what you get from a progressive that is set up right and poppin'.

Oh, I don't know; I wouldn't want to spend more than an hour or maybe an hour and a half to get those 500 rounds.... time seems to be one commodity I never have enough of..... Can you use conventional dies in the LCT?

Don't forget that there are other manufacturers of progressive presses.. RCBS, Hornady, Lee, etc. Many people love all of them.. they are just different.. and they all work.

Honey, the voices in my head are back, now they want me to rush out & buy a progressive reloading machine that can crank out 500 rounds per hour so I can shoot more. (Charlie Browns teacher voice saying "how much") Oh about $500+ ...... (the sound of a pistol slide racking in a shell).... Me, (in a Redd Fox voice) I'M COMIN ELIZABETH!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thanks guys!!!!;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads