JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I had a thought today. I was shipping a rifle off to a member here who is doing some work on it. I got it all boxed up this morning and headed to the post office. All of a sudden I had this flash

"NO FIREARMS ON FEDERAL PROPERTY"

So..... I know you can mail a gun, but my understanding was it was not ok to have a carry gun in your vehicle even if it was unloaded. So when does it become a crime? I can unholster my weapon and put it in a box unloaded and not be breaking the no firearms on federal property rule as long as the box has postage and an address? Still boned if I put the ammo in another box? It just seemed strange and pretty arbitrary that a firearm in a box is ok, but not ok locked in my pickup in the parking lot

That's easy. you are hunting

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
"(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes."

U.S.C. Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

Funny, the law says you can carry into a federal facility for "other lawful purposes" but then does not consider the frickin constitution and the 2nd amendment a "lawful purpose."

I wonder what "lawful purpose" is actually allowed??

I think if you researched it that as long as you are in compliance with local CC laws that you can carry into a local post office. Our local post office is a leased facility and not owned by the Federal government. I will take a picture of the sign at ours tomorrow, I am there pretty much everyday sending things out.

That's easy. you are hunting

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
"(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes."

U.S.C. Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

Funny, the law says you can carry into a federal facility for "other lawful purposes" but then does not consider the frickin constitution and the 2nd amendment a "lawful purpose."

I wonder what "lawful purpose" is actually allowed??
Now I tried to argue this point with a pro gun lawyer/judge in Sequim.
He said you'd go to jail. Can't have a firearm on you.
But I read it like you do. If I am legally walking down the road and I walk into a PO I should be completely legal with my carry gun.
But as with all laws, they are written in a way to be arbitrated in court by paid lawyers.
Gotta get your bros paid y'all!

well was it parts or a full weapon?

parts who gives a sh*t, a full one in a box who gives a sh*t if its on you at the cashiers well thats a different story, I've carried in but not the cashiers portion

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top