JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought a Dillon 650 XL reloader- mainly because I live in Kommiefornia and I don't want to make Sacramento liberals richer in 2018 whn I buy ammo. I bought the press with a .223 Remington conversion kit installed- I also plan to reload .308 and 9mm. I know there are more precise reloaders for rifle rounds, but I learned how to reload on a Dillon, and it seem a good choice to me. looking forward to making bullets again.

Geno Dillon 650 XL reloader_001.jpg

A single stage for decapping, sizing, and loading custom cartridges is a nice addition.

Decapping and sizing can be dirty; a single stage is much easier to keep clean.

2nd hand single stage presses can be found.

Just how accurate is that Dillion throwing the smaller rifle powder weights? I am specifically thinking here of about 15.0 grains of either H110 or 298 for a possible .30 Carbine reloading dream. Or hobby. Or lots of fun. Whatever. :)

14.9 grains would be too low. 15.1 grains too high. The .30 Carbine is tricky that way. Full power military equivalent.

I personally own (2) 650's, a 550, and Bonanza coaxial press. I use the 550 for 308, and a 650 for 223. You made the right decision grass hopper. Congratulations. Once you get the conversions set up and running you will see what I mean.

On a side note the Dillon powder measure will throw almost dead on with ball type powders like 748, and 2230. They tend to be a little finicky with extruded powders.

Reloading.jpg

Last Edited:
A single stage for decapping, sizing, and loading custom cartridges is a nice addition.

Decapping and sizing can be dirty; a single stage is much easier to keep clean.

2nd hand single stage presses can be found.

Agree that depriming on a progressive press is a messy operation, I do all my case prep & priming on my RCBS single stage before they make it to my presses.;)

So I know they're planning BGC's on ammo sales, are they planning to do the same for powder, bullets, cases, primers? If so, you may still get hosed by the loons in Sacramental.

I just wonder how this whole CA ammo 'thing' will play out. I suspect it will not affect 'causal' shooters but those who are more high volume it no doubt will. I'll bet a very active 'relationship' will be had between reloaders and their 'friends'....

I personally own (2) 650's, a 550, and Bonanza coaxial press. I use the 550 for 308, and a 650 for 223. You made the right decision grass hopper. Congratulations. Once you get the conversions set up and running you will see what I mean.

On a side note the Dillon powder measure will throw almost dead on with ball type powders like 748, and 2230. They tend to be a little finicky with extruded powders.

View attachment 413336

How do you think the 650 will do with Hodgdon H335 for .223 and CFE 223 for .308?

Geno

View attachment 413336

Wow! Super layout! :)

The H335 should do well. I haven't looked close at the CFE powder.

Thanks for the reply- I've heard it from more than one person that reloads that H335 works well with .223. I originally thought CFE 223 was only for ''223" (lol), but Hodgdon says it will work with .308 too. I'm going to do more research on it.

Geno

The Supreme court needs to bubblegum or get off the pot & clean house on those Kali swamp dwellers!!!:mad:
They can't just negate a law, someone has to appeal the offending law to them. That is where the money and effort needs to go but the sheeple just roll over and take it. It has to be presented by someone with "standing"........or effected by the law.

Just how accurate is that Dillion throwing the smaller rifle powder weights? I am specifically thinking here of about 15.0 grains of either H110 or 298 for a possible .30 Carbine reloading dream. Or hobby. Or lots of fun. Whatever. :)
H110 meters perfect in my Dillon. I use H110 in 30 Carb., 357 and 44 mag. Smaller
charges also work great in my Dillon powder thrower (small charge bar). I throw
4 grains of Bullseye in 45 acp case. Some powders do not meter that accurate
such as Varget, IMR 4064, IMR 4895. I will sometimes weigh each charge
replacing the powder thrower with a funnel and using a RCBS chargemaster.
I like WW 748 for lighter bullets in for the 223. Meters perfect and the most accurate
load I have found for 52 and 53 SMK. Enjoy your new Dillon excellent choice. I have
had mine for 28 years.:D

Last Edited:
I'm looking at upgrades for this 650 XL already- the Ultramount riser system and ERGO roller handle seem to be the best choices for this reloader. Made in Oregon too (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Geno

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR