JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
More than 5 rounds for deer hunting? Have we forgotten how to shoot, LOL?

Mutated zombie deer in body armor, with sharpened antler prongs. Maybe steel sleeves over those antler prongs. Maybe said mutant zombie deer is also hopped up on a combination of PCP, meth, and doe estrus. Gotta be prepared, right? :)

More than 5 rounds for deer hunting? Have we forgotten how to shoot, LOL?

Some may have never learned!
But, look at the "traditional" Winchester 30-30 carbine. That baby holds 7 in the mag! I think the Marlin 1894 in .41 Mag held 11 up the same length tube.
Beats a handful in the pocket!

you could use your $600 and buy a nice lower in .308,buy a nice trigger,buffer tube and all that good stuff and then start building the upper next and by hunting season have a nice higher end ar in 308 and not feel the expense so much by just buying 1 thing a month,
also you would have the joy of building your own rifle.

I'll only comment on the part of your post that says "to piss off traditional hunters"

I should have said that differently. My motivation was to be somewhat different, and to have a gun that was easy to handle in the brush.

As for the high cap mags, I personally like the look. If I thought I needed one for hunting, I'd have no business in the woods. If I find a five round mag for the ar I'll probably pick one up, unless of course the zombie-deer-pocalipse starts early.:s0114:

doubletap, I thought about doing that, but I just don't have the patience. Now that I have something in an AR platform I'm already looking at all the different uppers I could put together.:s0112:

+1 vote for the saiga rifles. My preference would be the saiga .308. But then again.. Tha
t's the platform I suggest in all the threads. Any questions about them feel free to shoot me a PM.

Go with a 6.5 Grendel. Higher BC's and supersonic out to 1200 yards. I own a Grendel and wonder why no one made this thing 30 years ago. It's legal to hunt with in WA. All you need to do to convert a standard AR15 in .223/5.56 to a Grendel is a bolt, barrel and magazine. Everything else is the same. You can also do the same thing with 7.62x39 and the 6.8, but the Grendel shoots longer and flatter than both of them. I reload with 120-123gr bullets and get sub MOA at 200 yards. Haven't had a chance to go longer with it yet.

Check it out over on this site, there's plenty of info on the Grendel specifically here .......

6.5 Grendel Forum : : For the 6.5 Grendel Aficionado

As for the magazines. Well, just because you have a 25 round magazine, doesn't mean you have to put more than 5 in it. I can see how it would be an issue in OR, but it doesn't matter in WA. You'd be suprised how many idiot hunters and shooters there are out there that say "you can't hunt with an AR .... it's illegal". Or the older hunters that get all p'd off because you have an AR and are using it to hunt. I personally carried an M-16 for 20 years and I feel more comfortable shooting that rifle than any other. I shoot better with it too. It's what I'm used to. Sure, I can shoot just fine with a bolt gun, but it doesn't feel the same.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews