JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A while back I picked up one of these:

Stoeger Coach Supreme...
image.jpeg

Now to what I wanted to do with it. I'm a sucker for short firearms, be it short rifles or compact handguns and shotguns.

My previous choice was a shotgun that had no options for chokes and I was always shooting cylinder bore.

Now things have changed. While it's a cheaper shotgun and kicks like a freight train with slugs, I plan to use it as a versatile bird/rabbit gun.

Today I picked up an extended modified choke.
image.jpeg

While it may look a little goofy, the intent is to match this modified choke .710" with the cylinder bore to the left. I don't mind it sticking out, I want to remember what side has what choke.

As stated I plan to hunt rabbits soon and I picked up some #4 and #7 steel shot. Required on refuge.

My theory was to run the heavier shot (#4) at cylinder bore for closer distances and then run the #7 at the longer distances to cover more ground in spread with the modified choke.

Am I backwards in my logic? Should I run the #7 closer and #4 for longer? Maybe run the same at both distances?

I wanted to cover the most ground for varying ranges of distances.

Thoughts?

Note: I have not patterned these yet with the steel shot.

Edit 10/10/16:
Recently parted with the shogun, kept the chokes in hopes of using them on another shotgun down the road.

Last Edited:
Yes you got it backwards. It's a size/weight issue here! Bigger shot size is the number 4! That's going to give you the reach over the 7's. I would first pattern this set up before using it hunting! I am going to bet you will end up changing to full choke in the 4 shot and a light mod choke on the 7 shot! I would probably go to BB in a light mod choke and light full or full choke with 2 shot! I think you are going to find your original shot size lacks the stopping power! Good luck! That is a nice fun little shotgun, and should work very well for you!

Just to clarify, I know #7 is smaller, I was thinking more dispersion and less air space when spread out at longer distances. I've also found that it's mentioned the steel slows down faster so that's part of the reason I went with #4, as a hinge that I will either use a larger pellet size or a smaller one depending on pattern dispersion.

Thanks @Ura-Ki, I may have to go with some larger pellets but in reality 30y is about max I want to shoot anyway. Looking to get some exercise while having the ability to snag some meat for frying in the process. Interesting, maybe I will tighten it up... Hmmmm. We shall see. ;-)

Hoping to pattern tomorrow. I will run each load in the choke to check pattern size and % filled.

Surely will update then.

Have the same gun in 20ga I got for rabbits.

Did the same thing, front trigger is for shorter distances and back is for longer distances.

I load #6 in the short range side & #4 in the longer range side with the tighter choke.

The smaller pellets drop velocity too fast to make them good for long range. I patterned mine and the #6 shot at 25 yards spread about as much as the #4 shot at 40 yards.

I have it up for sale because of bills but I'm hoping I find the money somewhere else first so I can keep it.

If I keep it, I would love to disable the auto safety BS. My triggers are pretty good but if you have some tips there then that might be nice also.

Yes, steel shot is moving a lot faster but lacks the "punch" and range of led! We saw that happen when we were forced to use steel shot for water foul hunting! Now things happen a lot closer and a lot faster! You will be lucky to make a kill past 40 feet now! IF you can, use 3'' mag loads and hope for the best! At this point spread isn't helping at all you want as much of that pattern on target as you can get!

Thanks @Joe13
I'll send you some info via message.
Appreciate that insight.

@Ura-Ki, again.. valid points. I'm thinking backwards here and that's why I ask. Shotguns are new to me with patterns and spreads.... I'll get it nailed down soon hopefully.

Thanks @Joe13
I'll send you some info via message.
Appreciate that insight.

@Ura-Ki, again.. valid points. I'm thinking backwards here and that's why I ask. Shotguns are new to me with patterns and spreads.... I'll get it nailed down soon hopefully.
No problem! I had to go through all this way back when we made the switch. I spent a ton of money trying to find the best gun, the best ckoke, the best ammo.............I try and pass on what I can to help others avoid making my mistakes and hope my experiences can shed light and help make good choices! after all, we are all in this together!

If you have a dog, DO NOT EVER take it hunting rabbits! Once a dog learns to hunt rabbits, it will never be any good for any thing else BUT rabbits!!! LOL

Yea, my dogs are spoiled and not hunting dogs by any means.

Could explain my lack of success over the last couple years - If I didn't dislike beagles so much then I may have bought a pair by now and trained then hehe.

Sadly it has rabbit fever. Damn three yellow spots on liver.

Blasted at 10' with #7 in the cylinder bore side.

image.jpeg

Worked well though.

image.jpeg

I really like these side by sides! I think these are highly under rated!

One thing that I will say to potential buyers of a SxS; if your used to an o/u or single barrel then there is some adjustments that you will need to make because that bead is in the middle of the barrels and not directly on top of one.

I can hold my own with a 12ga. Pump but I was not a natural when I started with a double barrel.

Haha. The barrels on a side by side are supposed to be regulated to a certain point of aim! You have to figure that out on your own and then remember which barrel impacts where, and which has to lead and which has to trail when swinging! over and under are sort of the same, but they regulate up and down! Its fun to try ad learn, but can also be frustrating! In the end, its all part of the challenge.

Not much to add here , but thanks for the posts and information.
Best rabbit dog I've ever had was my German Shepherd , Sheba.
She would hunt on her own during camping trips and during small game season would chase 'em right to me.
Miss that dog.
Andy

Status update:
Liked the modified so much I got a matching full for the other side.

Went out and shot a bunch a while back. I swear that it didn't matter what choke... I couldn't miss.

image.jpeg

Awesome!
I kept mine but haven't taken the time to do the modifications - I'd like to get that done before the next time I use it.

If the thing had ejectors then I'd seriously consider it for home defense use.

Edit: just watched that vid for the reload - I'll have to try that.

Awesome!
I kept mine but haven't taken the time to do the modifications - I'd like to get that done before the next time I use it.

If the thing had ejectors then I'd seriously consider it for home defense use.

Edit: just watched that vid for the reload - I'll have to try that.
It only does that after all of the action work. Before you needed an 8 mule team for each side to make it break.

It only does that after all of the action work. Before you needed an 8 mule team for each side to make it break.

Don't I know it lol.

I've yet to hand it to someone to shoot clays that could manage to break it to reload it hahaha.

I'm a big guy with leverage and it takes a certain flick downwards to get it moving.

Can't wait to work on it and then I'll never consider selling it.

Don't I know it lol.

I've yet to hand it to someone to shoot clays that could manage to break it to reload it hahaha.

I'm a big guy with leverage and it takes a certain flick downwards to get it moving.

Can't wait to work on it and then I'll never consider selling it.
I followed this but went further than they did. Every point of contact that I could make smoother I did. A little at a time until the results I desired were achieved.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top