JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$1500
Manufacturer
Sig Sauer
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Beaverton
State
Oregon
Zip Code
Swiss pattern 1842 Rifled Musket. .41 cal. (10.4mm). This gun bears a 'Schaffhausen SIG 24' stamp, leading one to believe it was produced by SIG (SIG's first facilities were in Schaffhausen). This variation most closely aligns with the Infanteriegwehr 1863 (infantry rifle 1863). The only solid comparison musket I could locate is at the Swiss Marksmanship Museum in Berne and I have been researching this gun for over a year.

A little background: in the 1860's, the Swiss were trying to rapidly keep up with modern firearms technology in order to be on equal footing with the other countries of Europe that were adopting breech-loading cartridge rifles. They adopted a number of "transitional" breech loading arms, until the Vetterli design was finalized. The most notable of these transitional arms, was the Milbank-Amsler breechloader. The Swiss converted most of their old muskets to the Milbank-Amsler pattern. This one was spared from being converted, making it very rare.

The musket is 54" long, and is very interestingly engraved with the name, "F. Vetterlin." Vetterlin holds US Patent No. 109,277 from 1870 for a Breech Loading Fire Arm (see pics) and is the designer of the famed Vetterli breech loading repeating rifle. This makes its history even more intriguing.

It has good rifling and is overall in good original condition.

$1500

sig33.jpg sig24.jpg sig25.jpg sig 35.jpg sig 18.jpg sig32.jpg sig31.jpg sig20.jpg sig18.jpg sig8.jpg sig34.jpg sig patent 2.jpg sig patent.jpg Infanteriegewehr_1863.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top