JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was relaxing after a long work day with a cold one watching some YouTube and stumbled upon the Survival Loader. After watching the video I was pretty impressed with this kit. Has all the tools you need to hand and I mean HAND reload your shotgun shells. Went on there site https://www.thexringusa.com/ and they are reasonably priced kits in 410, 20 and of course 12 gauge. Made in Maricopa Az we all can get behind made in the USA :s0160:

In this day and age would this be an advantage if the SHTF? Besides having to carry powder, primers and pellets? What do you guys think and do you have any experience using one of these kits?

Less expensive than a full on setup?

Personally, I don't anticipate that if SHTF that I would be using that much shotgun ammo to where I would use up what I have stocked as I would only use most of it for hunting. Also, I think if there are restrictions on ammo, shotgun ammo will be one of the last or least affected.

I don't reload much - I only reload to get the ammo I can't buy, mostly light subsonic loads for hunting small game. With shotguns, you can buy just about any kind of hunting load you can think of, and if you have .410, 20 ga and 12 ga, then you have most of the bases covered. There are a lot of specialty loads out there too.

Plus the idea of carrying shot, wads, powder etc. along while hunting - it seems just easier to carry loaded ammo.

YMMV

Less expensive than a full on setup?

Personally, I don't anticipate that if SHTF that I would be using that much shotgun ammo to where I would use up what I have stocked as I would only use most of it for hunting. Also, I think if there are restrictions on ammo, shotgun ammo will be one of the last or least affected.

I don't reload much - I only reload to get the ammo I can't buy, mostly light subsonic loads for hunting small game. With shotguns, you can buy just about any kind of hunting load you can think of, and if you have .410, 20 ga and 12 ga, then you have most of the bases covered. There are a lot of specialty loads out there too.

Plus the idea of carrying shot, wads, powder etc. along while hunting - it seems just easier to carry loaded ammo.

YMMV

Yes I agree in SHTF use what you train/shoot with and what ammo we have a good supply of. Carrying around powder, shot, primer, wad and empty's would be a bit of a challenge as we all know jamming a pack to get every cubic inch out of it is tricky.

For someone who may not have gotten on the ammo bandwagon soon enough and all they have is game loads trap etc. Or would as you mentioned use shotgun for hunting and brass eaters for more pressing matters. Either factory or empty's laying around you could load whatever they find into a shell.

This can be beneficial later on in a SHTF if ammo is scarce keep the empty's rinse and repeat. Like in Kill Bill load rock salt or just run around the woods like Davy Crockett but packing rounds insted of loading a Kentucky Long :s0112:

They do sell a felt that can be used as wad he mentions it in the video. Felt and cloth had been used for centuries. I'm sure there would be something out there you could use as a wad if it came to that.

This got me thinking of a disposable storage for shot, primer and wad. A one time usage then dispose of it. Someone could sell them in a box of 25. It would look like this:

shotshell.jpg

I ordered and received the 12 Gauge Plus version of this kit. It comes in an (approx) 6"x6"x2" box along with instructions. I'm happy with the purchase and the quality of the items in the kit.

I was relaxing after a long work day with a cold one watching some YouTube and stumbled upon the Survival Loader. After watching the video I was pretty impressed with this kit. Has all the tools you need to hand and I mean HAND reload your shotgun shells. Went on there site https://www.thexringusa.com/ and they are reasonably priced kits in 410, 20 and of course 12 gauge. Made in Maricopa Az we all can get behind made in the USA :s0160:

In this day and age would this be an advantage if the SHTF? Besides having to carry powder, primers and pellets? What do you guys think and do you have any experience using one of these kits?

Did you order one of these kits? If so how did it work out?

Did you order one of these kits? If so how did it work out?
Spendy, but purdy nifty! I've done some field reloads with just a drilled block of wood, but it's no fun sealing them (no re-crimp tool), can't resize the brass and have to hand feed single shots..

This thing looks all purfeshional n'all. Nice!

Real interested to hear of anyone that's used one yet. How durable, block material type, etc.

Last Edited:
Spendy, but purdy nifty! I've done some field reloads with just a drilled block of wood, but it's no fun sealing them (no re-crimp tool), can't resize the brass and have to hand feed single shots..

This thing looks all purfeshional n'all. Nice!

Real interested to hear of anyone that's used one yet. How durable, block material type, etc.
I will be handfeeding since my 410s are both break open. I would like to be able to do it on the cheap and would be interested in using cheaper tools?

I love a new gizmo but survival situations? I can't see carrying powder, primers and a bag of shot in a bug out situation. That's weight and space that could be better used for live ammo. If bugging in, I've got Dillon gear to load with.
Pass

I will be handfeeding since my 410s are both break open. I would like to be able to do it on the cheap and would be interested in using cheaper tools?
Well... all you need is a drilled out wood dowel, an appropriately sized punch and a hammer. You can wax seal or other.... or use a hand crimp tool if you've got one. Obviously faster and nicer than wax or other type sealing.

This X thing is basically just the same as an old lee loader. Many a day ago I had one but think it was loaned out and grew legs. Just poking around ebay and looks like you can still find lee loaders for $40-$60.

Other than that nifty "4 stage" block the only other real difference is that you can do both 2-3/4" and 3" hulls. If that's worth the extra bones or not(?) I shoot various type so that's maybe a selling point on the X thing.

Last Edited:
I seem to recall someone linking a video on field loading some time ago.... this one might be the one? Looks like he's got the basics covered for the poor man's field loading.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top