JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Southern Oregon desert:
599732.JPG

Desert around Vegas:
341600571_f2e3b2db68_b.jpg

Yeah, all of those critters to watch out for... rattlesnakes, scorpions, spiders... there is your food! Those hot days and freezing temps at night, well, that's your water (as stated above). You should definitely be on the move if you leave town. Just read up on it and you'll be fine.

Snakes I could do, but I draw the line at eating arachnids. No frickin way!!!

IMHO the amount of water recovered from condensation might be barely enough, or it might not sustain you. IDK. The humidity is freakishly low in summer but in winter they do get a bit of rain and snow.

Just read up on it and you will decide not to go and stay any length of time. Of course, you could always work the mines at Ely.

Meanwhile....on day 3,
In a location a few miles outside Vegas, out of gas, out of water, out of bugs 'n' spiders,.....
As Waldo decides to find a new, less crowded place to spread his water-tarp, he hopes the few desert plants will be able so sustain them until help arrives.
He wonders to himself, "how thousands of desperate people he saw, before the miles upon miles of impassable roads forced him here, are doing. He said a desperate prayer "lord, don't let them find us!"

upload_2017-7-10_8-3-18.png

Interesting tidbit about Burt Gummer.. he discovered that a well placed blast into the earth from a 4 bore would generally yield good potable water. good ol' Burt

not really

You all crack me up!! Finding water in the desert around vegas and Arizona isn't hard from what I've been told. If you study and know your cactus there are some that retain water. Chop the thing down make a fire, drink the water from it and then BBQ up the cactus with a rodent and you have a meal.

That should last ya about 2hrs after exerting the energy to cut one down. :D

Be careful about camping in the bottom of canyons, especially slot canyons.. you won't know about a half inch of rain ten miles away until it's too late.

You all crack me up!! Finding water in the desert around vegas and Arizona isn't hard from what I've been told. If you study and know your cactus there are some that retain water. Chop the thing down make a fire, drink the water from it and then BBQ up the cactus with a rodent and you have a meal.

That should last ya about 2hrs after exerting the energy to cut one down. :D

Go for it! Let me know how that works out for you. Might be able to find some mescal cactus and peyote buttons too. ;):p:D

Last Edited:
Good thing about being out in the desert is that anyone who would be a threat would also have a hard time surviving. If you are away from a city and have what you need at your house you could probably hunker down pretty safely. Just make sure to store water and then just eat any road warriors that come around.

Training..........We trained extensively in the Southern Nevada desert. Jimmy Carter was sure we were going to war in the desert ( he sort of guaranteed it) . ......so there we were on the desert southwest ranges. It was uncomfortable but not overly difficult until you add specific objectives. It takes training,

Training..........We trained extensively in the Southern Nevada desert. Jimmy Carter was sure we were going to war in the desert ( he sort of guaranteed it) . ......so there we were on the desert southwest ranges. It was uncomfortable but not overly difficult until you add specific objectives. It takes training,
And a bunch a water.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top