JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How much harder would you say survival in desert is vs our local area of operations? Here we at least have water, wood, cover, plant life, animals to hunt all over, etc.

In the desert? Freezing temps at night, scorching heat during the day. Little water around, not much wood, food or resources in general.

I ask because I'm considering relocating to the Las Vegas area and the only thing I don't like about it is the survival situation.

How much harder would you say survival in desert is vs our local area of operations? Here we at least have water, wood, cover, plant life, animals to hunt all over, etc.

In the desert? Freezing temps at night, scorching heat during the day. Little water around, not much wood, food or resources in general.

I ask because I'm considering relocating to the Las Vegas area and the only thing I don't like about it is the survival situation.

The best way to survive the desert is to stay away from the desert. ;)

Kinda sounds like you answered your own question

Kinda sounds like you answered your own question

Not necessarily. I have limited experience in the desert. Someone here may have much more experience that doesn't paint such a dire picture.

For one, not all desert has no wood. I've been in deserts in Arizona and such where there was plenty of wood for fire at least. Water and food being the biggest concerns. Here there is plenty of water and food, including plant life, but the cold temperatures in the middle of winter could kill you much faster than the desert.

Well, people have been living in the deserts since we've had people! My folks lived there for years. Just a different skill set. I love the desert, I was raised there.
We carry our water, there is water near Las Vegas, very little of Nevada is bone dry, Sahara like, sand desert. Mostly its sagebrush flats, piñon covered hills and mountains!

Last Edited:
1-study the Bedouin
2-learn all about goats
3-buy a camel
4-ride camel out of desert...
...because there are way, way, way too many people to be sustained by the land around Vegas.

Find a tiny town far outside the Vegas metro area, with it's own deep well (think Perfection, Nevada from the Tremors movie and be like Burt Gummer). It will give a few days lead time to leave ahead of the starving, thirsty, desperate hoards before they overrun you..

Last Edited:
Not an expert here by any means, but I spent two weeks out in eastern Oregon eating MREs and I could not wait to get back into town for a freaking burger and fries. My zero degree sleeping bag allowed me to freeze in the middle of the night when I got down to 20 degrees. I needed more water than anticipated, but I do realize this is trivial compared to what some of you have experience in the ME and other places.

The problem is water.
It's where you find it. So know before you go.

However there is plenty to eat in the dry lands.
There is life everywhere.

Snakes, lizards, insects. Not to mention deer, speed goats, and predators.
Plus lots of rodents.
So what chu whining about! It a virtual smorgasbord. :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYtCJbEHyBtdNkODzTeOmZdyLqkA9EEgitlIcERCZRNh6UhgO3.jpg

Fear not if you enhance your skills and knowledge. The desert is packed full of edible food and small game. many snakes are edible and some very tasty. Survival kit should contain a three foot (or larger)square of visqueen, black plastic a few mills thick or plastic drop cloth, I prefer clear, (so you can see what's happening). If you were dig a two foot hole a foot or more deep in a sun spot, place a cup in the center, pack around the cup and up the side with cut cactus or other moisture containing vegetation. cover the hole with the plastic anchored with rocks around the edges, place a suitable small rock in the center exactly over the cup and gently press down till you have a cone pointing to the cup. The baking sun will heat, sweat and try evaporate the moisture out of the vegetation which will be trapped by the plastic, condense on it, and run down into the cup. Albeit a slow process it does work well with several pits, increasing the results. Obviously, this isn't very effective in you are nomadic since many hours in one place are required. and you're not likely to be serving up your freeze-dried any time soon but this method works, best in arid or semiarid climates since "hot" and sunny" enhance and accelerate evaporation. Ultimately, you will still need to find a more abundant source of water than distilling cacti.

The great thing about the desert is it's full of rocks. And the great thing about the Indians is they'd say to suck on a rock if you ever got thirsty. miracle

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top