Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Survival Forum idea.

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by coctailer, Jun 21, 2009.

1. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

It might be cool to have a "Survival Forum" in here.

It could have gardening tips, MRE info, financial strategies, gun choices, whatever,............ for preparing for possible economic meltdowns, zombie attacks, nuclear war, Katrina type disasters.

Some would be fun zombie exersizes, some would be real wilderness tips.

Downside is that people looking in can think we are survivalist nut-bags.

Up-side is that members can prepare for power-outages, camping trips where one gets lost, "car broken down in snow covered climates" type situations.

Could save a life.

This thread is not, in itself, a survival discussion. Just an idea thread if you guys would like to have a "Survival Forum" in here.

What say ye?

2. PeakResources

PeakResources Portland (past) Colorado (now) Member

Melike.

3. bt97006

bt97006 Aloha Member

:thumbup::thumbup: How many votes do we need ?

4. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

I like the idea. You're right about the possible survivalist impression. It's too bad the word has developed that reputation. Even using the term "Survival" might be discourage some folks who'd otherwise be likely to participate on the web site. Perhaps focusing language like "general preparedness." It means essentially the same thing but doesn't have the black helicopter baggage.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if you called it something like, "Bazooka Joe Meets Fan." ;)

5. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Sounds great to me.

6. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Number six in favour.

To minimise "bad press", perhaps call it something cryptic yet appropriate. Perhaps something like "perseverance", or "endurance".. oh, wait, that one's been used before (Shackleton's story... an amazing survival tale, and every word true). Carrying on, but that can have a rowdy connotation as well. More ideas for a monniker?

7. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Outdoor Skills

8. ikona

ikona west of pdx Member

New member here. I hope that it would be properly modded to reduce the arguments that often come up in other forums ( I am new so I don't know how this site deals with nonsense) and be positive addition. Survival has such negative conatations in today's world, could be something along the lines of essential skills?

9. rhtwist

rhtwist South Florida Member

Yes if you do be careful. Our county run range won't allow silhouette targets, because of the evil ideas it produces in sheep. But again nut-bags can by lack of propriety, tack and forethought or common sense make us all sound like loons. IMHO
    rhtwist

10. BrianL

BrianL Hermiston Active Member

I say go for it, I think it could only do good.

11. GeoMann

GeoMann PDX Member

I like the idea too....

12. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

I agree with all that say YES...

13. aquariumjunky

aquariumjunky Albany, Oregon Active Member

I would love a place to help learn how to outlast my umm competition!

Steven
    (adding his vote for the new idea)

14. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

I like the idea.... the "Outdoors/Ham Radio" forum is where is lurk the most on AR15.com -- wouldn't mind having a local version....

15. DALE

DALE Boring, Oregon Member

My reason for being here is to learn more about another area of self-sufficiency which is Self-Defense. The ability to survive when times get tough is my goal...so I would welcome that type of Forum. It should generate a great deal of interest in folks with similar ideas. I highly suspect that mindset represents the majority here.
    73 Dale

16. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

ikona, I've only been here a few months, but have been impressed by the mods' performance. Once in a while I've seen the Brown Stuff getting flung about, and they've been pretty quick to cool things down a bit. I've seen very little in way of personal attacks, namecalling, that sort of childishness... and yet, at times, the discussion can get very lively and passionate. There are some pretty hard and fast rules about content--- it MUST be related to firearms somehow. But, if the discussion is lively and moving along and seeming beneficial, they'll turn a blind eye to "the ROOOOLS" and let it run its course. When it is time to step in and get things back on track, I've been impressed at how civil they've been.... first, a "gentle reminder", perhaps one of those silly moving waving icons with a flag that says something silly but to the point.... the "offenders" "get it" and things turn round rather quickly. They could come into the corral both guns blazing........ but I suspect they realise there'd be rather a mess to muck up after. I've learned a tremendous amount here, there are some very opinionated, but well seasoned, even battle hardened (and scarred?) chaps calling this place home. Part of why I can get so interested in a new forum on survival issues. And most have demonstrated the ability to put an idea in the table, then let go of it, leaving others to take it up or leave it alone.... I am certain all this is a large part of why this forum has about doubled in the few months I've been on here.

To treat your comment about some folk "out there' not fancying we "survivalists", I rather think it comes down to the fact that a nanny government operates on the premise THEY are the ones to take care of every little scratch and owie, thus WE have no need to learn to care for ourselves. We are to "trust and depend upon" THEM. Sorry, they've been proofed in the assayer's crucible and found wanting..... most are only on about seeing to their own future security ((fat pensions, secure positions, etc) and not to ours. Time more of us awaken and prepare ourselves to fend well in their absence... which could not possibly come a day too soon, for the most of them.

17. slingshot1943

slingshot1943 salem or Well-Known Member

how about kill it and grill it? I think I heard that some where before

18. Saigashooter

Saigashooter Or coast Member

I thank this is a great idea.

19. Bend

Bend Central OR Member

:thumbup:

20. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Ask and ye shall receive ;)

I'll work on the details with coctailer, should be up in a couple days :)