JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, I get it. I may own a couple competition minded arms myself. However, at 9mm I would want a semi. As a gun owner and user, a revolver in a platform that I can get a race gun semi-auto there isn't much appeal. And yes, .38 special is long with low velocity owing to its origins as a bp cartridge. Same with .45lc. But I love magnum revolvers. To me the big advantage of the revolver is in the .454s and .357s. And even a competitive gun of mine still gets looked at as a self defense tool.

Again, I think that you are missing the point. I don't compete with a revolver because I have to, I do it because I want to. I was raised with revolvers and I am constantly amazed at the current (and maybe the last one or two) generations lack of knowledge about wheelguns. To me, there is nothing more satisfying than beating a bottom feeder in an action handgun game using a revolver.

I guess that I am fortunate in that I don't have to view the guns I use for competition as self defense tools. I have other guns for that - revolvers and semi-autos. But USPSA, IDPA and ICORE are games. They certainly help you learn about safe gun handling, firing quickly and accurately. Working from a holster and other necessary skills that you may need in a defensive situation - but they are GAMES and I play them as such.

When I was younger, I liked the "big boomers" too. I shot Handgun Metallic Silhouette for many years using .44 Magnums, a .30 Herrett and an XP100 chambered in full-length .308. As I've gotten older I have become more recoil averse. I love my big bore revolvers, but no longer feel the need to impress with lots of noise and raw power, preferring instead the satisfaction gained from shooting a .44 Special or .45 ACP/AR well. I have no idea how old you are, but I'd wager that you are probably a good deal younger than me (that's not a slam - it is simply to point out that there is most likely a difference in perspective).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Last Edited:
Again, I think that you are missing the point. I don't compete with a revolver because I have to, I do it because I want to. I was raised with revolvers and I am constantly amazed at the current (and maybe the last one or two) generations lack of knowledge about wheelguns. To me, there is nothing more satisfying than beating a bottom feeder in an action handgun game using a revolver.

I guess that I am fortunate in that I don't have to view the guns I use for competition as self defense tools. I have other guns for that - revolvers and semi-autos. But USPSA, IDPA and ICORE are games. They certainly help you learn about safe gun handling, firing quickly and accurately. Working from a holster and other necessary skills that you may need in a defensive situation - but they are GAMES and I play them as such.

When I was younger, I liked the "big boomers" too. I shot Handgun Metallic Silhouette for many years using .44 Magnums, a .30 Herrett and an XP100 chambered in full-length .308. As I've gotten older I have become more recoil averse. I love my big bore revolvers, but no longer feel the need to impress with lots of noise and raw power, preferring instead the satisfaction gained from shooting a .44 Special or .45 ACP/AR well. I have no idea how old you are, but I'd wager that you are probably a good deal younger than me (that's not a slam - it is simply to point out that there is most likely a difference in perspective).

Adios,

Pizza Bob
You might be surprised that I am about 40 with a nice collection. I look at all guns as potential self defense tools because I have used them as such a few times.

And I like the magnums for fun. I usually shoot by myself and not to impress others. I fairly routinely carry the 8 round Redhawk I referenced. .357 is not really a high recoil round.

I also prefer autos in general. Specifically from WWI. I do have a fair number of wheel guns. I make no bones about it. I have been alive a couple times due to a little luck and the 2nd amendment. So my perspective is likely different. Regardless of age. I am looking at potentially getting into competition.

We have already co-opted this thread enough. Suffice it to say that I have two sons, both older than you.

Getting into some form of competition is a terrific idea. Any of the three that I mentioned - although ICORE is a revolver only game. IDPA is more scenario driven. Gun has to be suitable for concealed carry. You must wear a concealment garment and shoot from cover when available. More structured than the other two. USPSA is more run-n-gun. Good luck to you if you decide to get into competition. I started with some informal bullseye, then silhouette, then IPSC (which is USPSA but back in the day we called it IPSC, which was the world body. Almost 100% contested with 1911's in .45 ACP back then) and for about the last 10 or 11 years, all three I try to shoot a match every weekend - weather permitting. These days any advancement in skill is usually offset by some physical infirmity - kind of treading water at this stage. But I do this for fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Since you guys co-opted this thread (which I have no problem with, It's all for fun anyway) I'll say I'd much rather have a 357 than a 9mm in a revolver, even in a belly gun. I''m not an ICORE shooter, I'm an outdoorsman. But now that I've heard about it, I'm interested in ICORE. Sounds fun.
However, I think higher capacity revolvers are a great idea. I'm not one that would like an 8 or 9 shot large frame revolver, but I'd sure take 7 rounds of .357 Mag (damn, I miss that 686+) or 5 rounds of 44 Mag in a medium frame. I really think that a standard GP100 or a 686 in a seven round cylinder is the best package for an outdoorsman. Ever.

But, still. I'd give that Super GP a workout. It's probably like shooting a 22!

I can see 7 rounds for a woods guy that is a back up for two legged critters. But carrying an 8 round 357 in a large frame revolver--that would be tuff. I have my late 1980's GP 100 6 shooter and that has stood me the best all these years in the backcounty. Now, with more heavier BB rounds it just might work for a bear intruder. My Ruger Super Blackhawk 44, 6 shooter, is also, a great woods gun. Have had 4 footed intruders and never once needed to shoot either revolver. Two footed, that put a shiver up my spine; have been another story. Met two deliverance guys out of the woods in Northern Idaho, complete with movie set double barreled shotguns as I reached for the 44.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top