JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
… Any revolver in 9mm is way cheaper to shoot than any other revolver caliber...
Not only is it cheaper, but the short 9mm cases in moon clips almost seat themselves in the cylinder. I shoot .38 Shorts in my .357 GP100 for the same reason, getting the speed loader lined up and the cartridges in the cylinder is much harder with longer revolver rounds. ICORE stages usually go at least 24 rounds and some go as many as 34. So that's a minimum of 3 reloads per stage if you are shooting classic division (6 shot) and some stages can require up to 5! So anything you can do to speed recharging the cylinder is a huge advantage.

To shoot .38 Shorts requires you to cut down .38 Special brass or purchase expensive virgin brass. Going the 9mm route is much cheaper and easier. The smaller case allows more efficient combustion of the powder reducing fouling. A revolver can start getting pretty "sticky" after a couple hundred rounds you might shoot in a match. Not only does extraction and reloading get sticky, but case drag due to cases not easily seating to full depth increases trigger pull weight in an unpredictable way

It weighs almost as much as the 5.5" Redhawk .44 magnum. I love Rugers, but I just don't see the point of putting 9mm in a .44 magnum frame.
The time penalties for wide shots are severe in ICORE, so it's a very accuracy driven game. Much more than Speed Challenge or IDPA/IPSC type of shooting. Couple the need for accurate shot placement when you are trying to shoot 0.3 second splits with a double action revolver you won't find the extra weight objectional at all.

About 18 months ago Ruger put out a huge marketing survey dealing with competition revolvers. I'm betting this is a result of that survey.

Last Edited:
I've really been admiring the 8 shot .357 Redhawks they have out. The shorter barrel model is all kinds of cool.

Redhawk

Seems a might bit bigger than my j frame though.

Good point, DirtyBird. I also really really like the 4 inch .45 acp model.

I don't like every new wheel gun they've put out, but I really admire the breadth of Ruger's catalog.

That gun is suitable for both ICORE and USPSA and is meant as a direct competitor for Smith's 929 - which I believe has done pretty well in the marketplace. I just had my gunsmith build me a 929 (irony: He is a member of Team Ruger and will probably end up shooting this Super GP100). Here's my 929 - doesn't look much different, but there is a lot of work in this gun - now if things would just open up I could try it out...

929-DO.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I've really been admiring the 8 shot .357 Redhawks they have out. The shorter barrel model is all kinds of cool.

Redhawk

Seems a might bit bigger than my j frame though.
I think that the 4.2" .357 is the right combination of 8 shot and accuracy. It is still a little heavy for concealed carry, but I would carry it hiking, fishing and camping.

Not only is it cheaper, but the short 9mm cases in moon clips almost seat themselves in the cylinder. I shoot .38 Shorts in my .357 GP100 for the same reason, getting the speed loader lined up and the cartridges in the cylinder is much harder with longer revolver rounds. ICORE stages usually go at least 24 rounds and some go as many as 34. So that's a minimum of 3 reloads per stage if you are shooting classic division (6 shot) and some stages can require up to 5! So anything you can do to speed recharging the cylinder is a huge advantage.

To shoot .38 Shorts requires you to cut down .38 Special brass or purchase expensive virgin brass. Going the 9mm route is much cheaper and easier. The smaller case allows more efficient combustion of the powder reducing fouling. A revolver can start getting pretty "sticky" after a couple hundred rounds you might shoot in a match. Not only does extraction and reloading get sticky, but case drag due to cases not easily seating to full depth increases trigger pull weight in an unpredictable way

The time penalties for wide shots are severe in ICORE, so it's a very accuracy driven game. Much more than Speed Challenge or IDPA/IPSC type of shooting. Couple the need for accurate shot placement when you are trying to shoot 0.3 second splits with a double action revolver you won't find the extra weight objectional at all.

About 18 months ago Ruger put out a huge marketing survey dealing with competition revolvers. I'm betting this is a result of that survey.
ICORE sounds like a blast. This is the first time that I have heard of it and may have to get involved. I'e got a Ruger Security Six that is very accurate and I still have 80 boxes of my Dad's .38 wadcutters. After that is gone, I will have to recreate his formula.:cool:

ICORE (International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiast) is a pretty small shooting confederation but there are matches locally in Arial WA and a bit south … Medford I think.

The stages are a combination of steel, plate racks, Texas Stars etc. and D1 tombstone targets. There are the typical shoot / no shoot targets along with shooting lanes / barricades etc. So much of the game is the same as the other practical shooting events.

Compared to the other disciplines the stages are really a mishmash of targets which is one of the reasons I like it so much. Each stage will have multiple reloads, so your wadcutters will handicap you greatly. Round nose and truncated cone profiles load so much faster. You need a number of speed loaders, and most like the Safariland push button type but I use both those and the HKS knob style to good effect. The wadcutters will be useful for training your out of the holster shots and you can practice transitions etc. as well, but they may be a bit underpowered for the serious coemptions. You need a minimum power factor of 120.

The matches I've shot have been populated with a ton of nice, accommodating people. When my son and I started all I had was a stock GP100 (with a 14 pound DA) and five speed loaders. We used a nail pouch to hold the speed loaders and started from the low ready … and it was all good and fine with everybody there. Now I have the DA trigger down to 7.75 pounds and have an actual holster and speed loader pouches, so we don't look quite so ridiculous but bring what you have and have a blast. If you want more info PM me since this is starting to hijack the thread.

I hope this helps!

OK then
A couple of 9mm resolvers (actually 3)
9mmChartArms.jpg
Would look better with an underlug (jmo)
CA9mm.jpg

Neither Charter Arms 9mm revolvers require moon clips, this one no longer in production :(
RIA9mmAL9.0.jpg
Ria AL9.0 3.0
Kinda pricey for what it is,

My fave CA 79942
:D CA9mm.jpg

Last Edited:
Have. Very nice.
My trigger from the factory is a beast, so some day after I've caught up on the endless list of things to finish, I'll attack that and get some new springs installed.
Ruger revolvers are really easy to work on. A couple of hours polishing and a shim and spring kit will work wonders on the DA weight and feel.

...for me the strength of a wheel gun is in shooting long cartridges. 9x19 no thanks.

Not quite sure where that comes from. Bigger, or longer in this instance, isn't always better, or again in this instance, stronger. You need to look at the comparative ballistics of cartridges like the 9mm, .38 Super or .357 Sig versus the much longer .38 Special.

The Super GP100 and the S&W 929 are purpose built revolvers, and that purpose is competition. It is about putting the most accurate number of shots on target in the least amount of time. In order to accomplish that you not only need to be able to shoot fast and well, but also reload fast and well. The shorter cartridges, with the higher ballistic efficiency, loaded using moon clips, allow you to accomplish both goals.

You are missing the point if you think the two guns mentioned are for anything other than competing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews