Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Stuff to do with this steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ben Beckerich, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hola amigos

I'll, of course, be cleaning the gunky old adhesive off first.

IMG_18931_zpsab35qvzn.jpg

All the commercial steering wheel products I've looked at are ugly or fat or just won't look right in my truck. I'd like to do a bicycle handlebar tape - Fizik brand makes a really nice looking, super durable synthetic leather called Microtex... I even have some, but bar tape always comes cut in two rolls, one for each drop, and one roll won't make it all the way around the wheel. I could use contact cement to hide a seam on the "back" side of the wheel.... I'm going to have to do something similar to cover the two fat "spokes" (if I can call them that) anyway, so it's not like I won't already have the glue out... but I figured I'd put it up here and see if anyone else has any clever custome-but-not-too-flashy ideas first.

Main criteria is: as skinny/flat as possible - I really like a skinny steering wheel; no cord wraps (just don't like the look); beige, blue, or gray/silver in color.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ben

2. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Get a hacksaw. Cut it right off the column. Tear the horn cover completely off. Obtain a horn cover that has a Ram's head right in the middle. Secure it cleanly with a new airbag. Then find a 1999-2007 Dodge Cummins diesel that some idiot cut the steering wheel out of. Obtain a quality welder. Re-weld your wheel to the column, being careful to ensure the wheel is centered and straight. At this point you can actually enjoy driving and that small lump in the pit of your stomach will go away because you know you will make it to your destination and back home again safe and sound. Of course, and this goes without saying, if your truck has a 7.3l Powerstroke, then wrap it in duct tape and keep driving it until the world ends. :)

RLS and rick benjamin like this.
  3. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Lift the radiator cap and swap cars under it. That's how you fix that steering wheel...

4. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Probably wouldn't fit your desire for something skinny, but I've seen a few folks that did paracord and did a really nice job. Nice thing is there are tons of colors and patterns. I agree with you on the regular cord wrap type - like the suede/leather stuff, my father used to do that on his trucks and I hated it.

But tape is probably your best bet if you want to keep it from getting too thick. If you haven't looked at them yet, you may check some of the products that bicyclists use to wrap their handlebars. I remember seeing something about a product call CatEye when I was looking for a tape wrap for a slingshot grip. I never did end up using it, but it looked interesting - I linked a photo and a post about that tape below. Worth considering at least.

If I were doing it, and had the time, money and skill, I would love to have one done in carbon fiber. I've seen some carbon fiber accented steering wheels and I just love the look.

attachment.php?attachmentid=142414&d=1342731937.jpg

HYJU0t4.jpg

vODuQTv.jpg

har1.jpg

Last photo is from a blog post on how to do this: http://www.wastedlife.org/bike/harlequin/

5. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

ON a serious note:

Check into that bicycle handle tape. That stuff works pretty darn good.

6. RLS

RLS milwaukie Active Member

If that is leather it can be re coated in any color you want with good results. Industrial Finishes can set you up with aerosol cans to DIY.

7. Ben Beckerich

I should try cotton handlebar tape... That'll be way easier to work with. And nice and skinny.

Tried some Fizik Microtex tape today, and while I'm sure I could make it work with some glue and patience, it didn't come out well

etrain16 likes this.
  8. Ben Beckerich

You're lookin at bare wheel skeleton.. already ripped the leather off

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Dang, I never thought there were that many dudes who got so "metro" over their steering wheels. :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    BoonDocks36, 308, IheartSig and 2 others like this.
  10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Get a good Grant wheel and adapter and throw that one in the trash.

BoonDocks36 and HenryJ like this.
  11. IheartSig

IheartSig Beaverton Diamond Supporter Diamond Supporter Platinum Supporter

Us guys gotta be able to accessorize where we can! The steering wheel is a guys purse strap in a lot of ways, if you think about it. Tell me that you don't have a good portion or parts of your life in your car be it tools, music, stuff for work etc. My truck is my spaceship that takes me away from the BS a 20 minute drive at a time!

Ben Beckerich likes this.
  12. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Or go to the wreaking yard and get a better one

13. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

This should give you some ideas.Why replace, when you can redecorate!:D

steering wheel.jpg

BoonDocks36, Medic! and Dyjital like this.
  14. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

LOL.... your spaceship! :s0112:

Honestly, my one pet peeve is that I absolutely HATE a cluttered, messy, over "accessorized" cabin inside cars as I like an über clean interior. I'll give you the music angle, but my vehicles have 6-7 disk CD players that play MP3's, so there's no "media" rattling around or filling the glove box/consoles.

I've got a pretty nice Suburban (leather upholstery) loaded with factory options/upgrades, a Harley, and a couple Mercedes cars... maybe I should change out the head liner with some perimeter dingle-balls and fringe tassels, and put in a 6" chain-rim steering wheel in my E350 sedan, along with oversized tin-can tail-pipes and a whale-tail spoiler! :s0108:

Uh-oh...... :s0128:

BoonDocks36 and IheartSig like this.
  15. Ben Beckerich

I wouldn't be doing anything at all if the factory leather hadn't fallen apart.

16. Ben Beckerich

Well said, brother.

17. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Keep your hands warm in the winter...........:s0092:
    Pink-pure-font-b-wool-b-font-font-b-steering-b-font-font-b-wheel-b.jpg

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  18. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I was going to 2nd the paracord, but it would be thick. Personally I like a thick wheel.

If you can't duck it, f@&k it