JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hola amigos

I'll, of course, be cleaning the gunky old adhesive off first.

IMG_18931_zpsab35qvzn.jpg

All the commercial steering wheel products I've looked at are ugly or fat or just won't look right in my truck. I'd like to do a bicycle handlebar tape - Fizik brand makes a really nice looking, super durable synthetic leather called Microtex... I even have some, but bar tape always comes cut in two rolls, one for each drop, and one roll won't make it all the way around the wheel. I could use contact cement to hide a seam on the "back" side of the wheel.... I'm going to have to do something similar to cover the two fat "spokes" (if I can call them that) anyway, so it's not like I won't already have the glue out... but I figured I'd put it up here and see if anyone else has any clever custome-but-not-too-flashy ideas first.

Main criteria is: as skinny/flat as possible - I really like a skinny steering wheel; no cord wraps (just don't like the look); beige, blue, or gray/silver in color.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ben

Get a hacksaw. Cut it right off the column. Tear the horn cover completely off. Obtain a horn cover that has a Ram's head right in the middle. Secure it cleanly with a new airbag. Then find a 1999-2007 Dodge Cummins diesel that some idiot cut the steering wheel out of. Obtain a quality welder. Re-weld your wheel to the column, being careful to ensure the wheel is centered and straight. At this point you can actually enjoy driving and that small lump in the pit of your stomach will go away because you know you will make it to your destination and back home again safe and sound. Of course, and this goes without saying, if your truck has a 7.3l Powerstroke, then wrap it in duct tape and keep driving it until the world ends. :)

Lift the radiator cap and swap cars under it. That's how you fix that steering wheel...

Probably wouldn't fit your desire for something skinny, but I've seen a few folks that did paracord and did a really nice job. Nice thing is there are tons of colors and patterns. I agree with you on the regular cord wrap type - like the suede/leather stuff, my father used to do that on his trucks and I hated it.

But tape is probably your best bet if you want to keep it from getting too thick. If you haven't looked at them yet, you may check some of the products that bicyclists use to wrap their handlebars. I remember seeing something about a product call CatEye when I was looking for a tape wrap for a slingshot grip. I never did end up using it, but it looked interesting - I linked a photo and a post about that tape below. Worth considering at least.

If I were doing it, and had the time, money and skill, I would love to have one done in carbon fiber. I've seen some carbon fiber accented steering wheels and I just love the look.

attachment.php?attachmentid=142414&d=1342731937.jpg

HYJU0t4.jpg

vODuQTv.jpg

har1.jpg

Last photo is from a blog post on how to do this: http://www.wastedlife.org/bike/harlequin/

ON a serious note:

Check into that bicycle handle tape. That stuff works pretty darn good.

I should try cotton handlebar tape... That'll be way easier to work with. And nice and skinny.

Tried some Fizik Microtex tape today, and while I'm sure I could make it work with some glue and patience, it didn't come out well

Dang, I never thought there were that many dudes who got so "metro" over their steering wheels. :D

Us guys gotta be able to accessorize where we can! The steering wheel is a guys purse strap in a lot of ways, if you think about it. Tell me that you don't have a good portion or parts of your life in your car be it tools, music, stuff for work etc. My truck is my spaceship that takes me away from the BS a 20 minute drive at a time!

Us guys gotta be able to accessorize where we can! The steering wheel is a guys purse strap in a lot of ways, if you think about it. Tell me that you don't have a good portion or parts of your life in your car be it tools, music, stuff for work etc. My truck is my spaceship that takes me away from the BS a 20 minute drive at a time!

LOL.... your spaceship! :s0112:

Honestly, my one pet peeve is that I absolutely HATE a cluttered, messy, over "accessorized" cabin inside cars as I like an über clean interior. I'll give you the music angle, but my vehicles have 6-7 disk CD players that play MP3's, so there's no "media" rattling around or filling the glove box/consoles.

I've got a pretty nice Suburban (leather upholstery) loaded with factory options/upgrades, a Harley, and a couple Mercedes cars... maybe I should change out the head liner with some perimeter dingle-balls and fringe tassels, and put in a 6" chain-rim steering wheel in my E350 sedan, along with oversized tin-can tail-pipes and a whale-tail spoiler! :s0108:

Uh-oh...... :s0128:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads