Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Storage

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by spectra, Aug 24, 2010.

1. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Ok all the talk of storing things when SHTF. So where do you store it? I know you want it cool and dry plus if the temp stays the same it would be great. Just trying to get an idea of what people are doing. Trying to think of what would be the best temp and humidity plus how it all factors in to what you have stored.

2. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

cool, dark and dry.
    If you have a shovel and some building materials you can make a root cellar.

3. weekendclimber

weekendclimber Overlooking Elliot Bay Member

There's some great caves up in the mountains. Just make sure to bury it under some rocks in case someone else decides to do the same.

4. riverrat373

riverrat373 Washington State Member

I was thinking about building a storage room in my garage built out of a double layer of cinder blocks large enough to store 6 to 12 months of freeze dried food. The concrete floor of the garage and the cinder blocks should lower the temp on hot days and stabilize the humidity.( Maybe?)

5. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

Sounds workable!

6. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Don't worry too much about where you store it as much as HOW you store it. Make sure it's SEALED and sealed TIGHT. Keep it out of the elements (rain, sun, snow, ect.) and in a container that a rat can't chew into.

Reseal all containers from the paper bags to plastic, suck out the air and seal. Even normal humidity will corrode your food storage. People have even complained of ruining coal in the normal manufacture bags from just water in the air...so reseal in plastic!

Mylar buckets are king...no BPA like the #10 cans and a rat would try to find an easier meal than to chew through one.