JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Afternoon gentlemen. As the title says I am still in the process of looking for work in and around the Salem, OR area. I know that I have not been on the forum for a terribly long time but I have met a handful of you guys and I am hoping you can help me out here. I have experience in sales, customer service and various retail work. I also have my bachelor's degree in Business Admin and really would like to get into something that I could make a career rather than just a job. If anybody has a lead they can help me with I would appreciate it.

Last Edited:
I'm a tradesman too. There's nothing wrong or dishonorable with sales though, though I've not done it. Not sales like a salesclerk but more something commission based, like houses, insurance and or whatnot.. really, anything that is sold can yield excellent financial rewards.
It takes a certain kind of person though.. able to keep grinding in a perhaps negative atmosphere.. and to simply close.
did I sell ya?

ABC
Always be closing!
Most sales people that are very successful have 1 strong trait. They are self motivated and never stop. Most quit cause there lazy when on there own and nobody is pushing them.

I think the guy is looking for actual job leads, not suggestions about what he should look in to.
True dat. However, I have buddy who's a professional photographer with precious few "leads" to track down since everyone seems to be doing their own stuff digitally this century. It's been rough for him.

While he's found a few things somewhat relevant to his decades of experience, they've been short-term and sporadic at best. In the meantime, he's had no trouble landing various phone sales positions through Jobdango, Indeed, WorkSource and all of those sites.

Not suggesting that OP should realign or diminish his career goals. I can say, though, that my photog pal got through some lean times by manning phones, sometimes from home. And with alternate and part-time schedules, he had plenty of time to continue his search, target his resumes/cover letters and get to interviews.

Honestly everyone. Every tip you give me is welcome and I look into. Some stuff I keep on the back burner for now because I am not in a place where I am in desperate need for work. My wife and I have money put away and are able to survive for at least 6 months before money is gonna get real tight. So For now I am hoping to find something that will put me into a desired career.

As a follow up question for those of you who are in IT or IT fields, what is your opinion of the CompTIA programs? I have started taking classes on the A+ credential and was thinking of following it up with the Security+ program.

@Baseacegoku

What is it you want to do?

6 months of money is not enough for you to think you are not desperate for a job now. I know.

When I hired for IT positions - deskside and phone support Windows, I didn't care about certs. No one did. Maybe they matter now. I cared that the applicant had some "real" work experience. Did they know they had to show up every day. IT guys often come from the 'gamer' ranks - work? No. Game yes. Game at work, yes. I could't make ti in cause we had a 50 person raid last night.

Want to be a developer? That should be a BA - it is an 'art' to get employed you need a portfolio. Develop apps. Publish apps. Many apps. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and create the next Pokieman. In any case being able to point to GitHub is a requirement to get those jobs.

Business Administration. What kind of jobs did you expect to get with that? Do you still want those?
Recommendation: Get a Volunteer position at some NFP, one day a week, or equivalent. Show you are using the skill you want to get paid for.

Want to run your own "small" business? How about starting one. Say OTR Trucks. Lots of demand - not long term future. However, that business will transition in a high tech way over the next 10 years. And by then you may prefer to sleep in your home - running your business. Need a CDL - go get hired at your local school district as a bus driver. Finish out this school year. You'll get the CDL and they pay for the training And, people who drove kids have a leg up on jobs. Maybe your wife will like it in the moving picture window - couples can make a good team OTR.

Block Chain - it is the now big thing. Look at Ethereum for jobs - they have some work from home too. If you really want an "computer" job, this might be the place for a career.

And you asked on a Gun Forum. So my curmudgeonly answer: Get a hair cut and any job. You are not above cleaning septic systems, emptying port-a-poties, running cable ...

The Army is probably hiring. With a degree you'll come out of basic ahead of your class in rank. Get a guarantee in the field you are interested in. 4 years from now, you'll have experience.

Schools are hiring. Bus Driver, Janitor, Food Service. With experience in Sales and a degree, you are a few years away from a management position (they hire from within) and that is a career.

The trades are always hiring. Pipe fitter, plumber, lineman, electrician. I have a Masters degree and if I were to do this again I'd go the electrician route.
IBEW 48 is taking apps this month on Wednesdays. 5 year apprenticeship, earn while you learn. I was in it for a while and may just reapply myself. If construction is of any interest to OP, I'd look there.

The trades are crying for people nowadays. Who is going to build and maintain our infrastructure, who is going to maintain and repair our transportation system. our factories and the other systems of the modern world? I have tried time again to get my now 30 year old son to get into a trade that pays for your training, but no he took out student loans to pursue a degree in graphic design and didn't make it to the end. He now works as a forklift driver and makes minimum wage. If you have a trade and are smart you can make more money than a 4 year college graduate. Working as a rebar iron worker in 1988 I was making before overtime the equivalent of in today's money of $4,400 a month.

Last Edited:
I think folks don't realize a journeyman sheetmetal worker makes as much as a RN with better hours, less stress and no student loan to pay back.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top