JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like 'em. They don't seem to get a lot of respect anymore but they are good hard working shotguns. Apparently yours was made prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 and so did not require a serial number. My own has 28" barrels and has a serial number. Check the left side of the receiver between the trigger guard and the hinge pin. Is there a letter within a circle stamped there? The letter will tell you in which year it was manufactured. If the weapon is as you describe it I think you got good deal.

I have a Stevens 5100 20 gauge SXS that has no serial # or date code which, is a letter and # in a circle. Mine has the letter but no number, which means it was made between 1931-1941, from what the experts have told me.

Here is a photograph of the receiver where the date code can be found, if you have one. Notice mine does not have a # next to the letter in the circle.

If your action locks up tight and the barrels have no bulges or cracks, etc, it should be safe to fire.
My Pre WWII 20g is a lot of fun to shoot.

You might check the underneath the barrels of the shotgun for a date code. If it has one it should have a number and letter in a small circle, the letter reflects manufacture date from 1949 to 1970.

Stevens Date Codes. It must have a number and letter within the circle, or it is pre 1949.

A 1949
B 1950
C 1951
D 1952
E 1953
F 1954
G 1955
H 1956
I 1957
J 1958
K 1959
L 1960
M 1961
N 1962
P 1963
R 1964
S 1965
T 1966
U 1967
V 1968
W 1969
X 1970 ?

View attachment 157942

Last edited by a moderator:
I also forgot to mention that it is normal for the barrel release lever to be offset to the left. My barrel release lever is offset to the left and so have the other stevens SXS's i have seen.

I was told, that the barrel release lever is offset, so you don't keep hitting your thumb on it while working the safety.

I just checked the receiver on my 311 and there is a letter D in a circle followed by the letters MO so with the infomation you kindly provided i guess that means my 311 was made in 1952?

If it does not have a "number and letter in the circle", it would be a pre 1949 model. Just a letter in the circle does not give you the manufacture date.

Records for Stevens guns were lost by various causes, including a fire that destroyed many of the records. Dating the shotguns without the number and letter in the circle is very difficult, since those are about the only records left.

The good news is, that if you ever need replacement parts, they can be found online from places like, Numrich gun parts.

I have a Stevens 5100 20 gauge SXS that has no serial # or date code which, is a letter and # in a circle. Mine has the letter but no number, which means it was made between 1931-1941, from what the experts have told me.

Here is a photograph of the receiver where the date code can be found, if you have one. Notice mine does not have a # next to the letter in the circle.

If your action locks up tight and the barrels have no bulges or cracks, etc, it should be safe to fire.
My Pre WWII 20g is a lot of fun to shoot.

You might check the underneath the barrels of the shotgun for a date code. If it has one it should have a number and letter in a small circle, the letter reflects manufacture date from 1949 to 1970.

Stevens Date Codes. It must have a number and letter within the circle, or it is pre 1949.

A 1949
B 1950
C 1951
D 1952
E 1953
F 1954
G 1955
H 1956
I 1957
J 1958
K 1959
L 1960
M 1961
N 1962
P 1963
R 1964
S 1965
T 1966
U 1967
V 1968
W 1969
X 1970 ?
Does this date coding also apply to the single shot model 94?
I've been trying to date my brother's 94C for several years, with no success.
All I know about it, really, is that my dad got it for my brother around 1965-1966, as a used gun, through a private sale (possibly a garage sale).
Its 16 ga., 28" barrel, full choke (fixed) and it came with a rubber butt pad and a Leader Gun Sight.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I regards to the date code I have found a Stevens 311 (5100) that has a date stamp of an A & B both next to each other and both letters are circled. These markings are on both the barrel and the main part of the gun. Any idea on what year this is?

I believe if the barrel release lever is offset very far to the left it is a sign of wear in the lock-up. I have a 12ga and had a 20ga and the lever stayed at center on both. These were decent quality shotguns priced for the working man and at your price would be worth a gunsmiths opinion on a little work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top