JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious. How do steel-core bullets, like typical .223 M855 , react when they hit steel targets? I've been pranging away at the steel targets, with lead-core 55gn bullets, at my local range. They just splatter. Wondering what steel-core bullets do.

I agree with Mr. Benjamin. My experience is even non penetrator 5.56 fmj rounds will go right through 1/4 inch of steel like a hot knife through butter. I would suspect penetrator M855 will do the same with 1/2 inch--all depending on the range of course.

The steel used, thickness of target and velocity of bullet at impact all make the difference. They are not AP but that little bit of steel will eventually ruin the target of you shoot enough of them at it.

DRRC hung a 12 inch x 1/2 inch AR500 at 150 yards.
A clanger for members.
855 destroyed it.

I've heard this from members there while shooting, but I have no idea how many rounds that took to do it.

It didn't take very many, now nobody gets to clang the clanger.
It used to hang in the "bear cave" on the dynamic range berm.
30.06 ball ammo didn't dimple it, just splashed like the gif below.
To limit "splash" Ron built the "cave" with rail road ties. Now are all shot to HeII.
upload_2015-9-21_10-18-7.gif
DRRC Handgun Silhouette has steel chickens, pigs, rams on the silhouette range.
Who was shooting them to pieces? Now they are locked up.
DRRC 3-gun plate racks are chained up. Who shot holes in them?

DRRC spends $50,000 yearly to repair bullet damage (vandalism)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top