JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
List,

New (long ago member) here. I am wanting to try an AK (been a FAL/M1A guy for decades), and I do not know where to start. Would prefer to pay once for a higher quality piece with magazines, rather than buy/sell my way up the ladder.

So...I would like advice as to which rifle would be the 'best' first candidate. I have researched quite a bit and the options are overwhelming (Polytech, Norinco, Beryl, WBP, PSA, WASR, Hungarian, Arsenal, Yugo, Maadi, etc.). Stamped, milled, US made/foreign, etc. Not looking to pimp the piece, but keep it stock and as reliable as possible for the long run.

Spend amount - up to $1200 or so. Thanks very much for the help. (BTW I am in WY, and would prefer to purchase privately in state if possible).

If I was in Wyoming I'd ask around at ranges or hunting clubs. For $1200 you'd probably find a nice Norinco Mak 90 or Romanian-made Draco.

I would avoid Century C39 and early IO imports.

1st choices, factory built "com bloc" guns:
Bulgarian Arsenals
Fegs
Norincos/Polytech
Romanian ( sar, wsar, wum )
Maadi
yugos
maybe the newer Polish guns ( havent touched one myself)

2nd, quality builds off factory barreled kits
( subjective and depends on who made it and how well it was assembled)

3rd, US offerings...latest PSAs seem great, I wouldnt look twice at a Century made gun

As always, my opinion is what you paid for it :D

I'd go with a Zastava if you want a good AK you intend on actually shooting and not just buying as an investment. I own many.

PSA is a quality budget AK and there is nothing wrong with them. I own a few of these too. Never had a single issue.

1st choices, factory built "com bloc" guns:
Bulgarian Arsenals
Fegs
Norincos/Polytech
Romanian ( sar, wsar, wum )
Maadi
yugos
maybe the newer Polish guns ( havent touched one myself)

2nd, quality builds off factory barreled kits
( subjective and depends on who made it and how well it was assembled)

3rd, US offerings...latest PSAs seem great, I wouldnt look twice at a Century made gun

As always, my opinion is what you paid for it :D
^^^^^This right here!^^^^^
I don't have a finger on the AK market any longer, so I don't know where to get them or kits to build them. That said, I would check all the local shops in your area and see what there is ( Bad time to be looking says me) but you never know! Might be worth the time to make a trip to Colorado, there are still halfway decent shops in Denver and a couple of half way decent gun shows now and again, might be the best option, I don't know much about Wy or the gun shops there!

^^^^^This right here!^^^^^
I don't have a finger on the AK market any longer, so I don't know where to get them or kits to build them. That said, I would check all the local shops in your area and see what there is ( Bad time to be looking says me) but you never know! Might be worth the time to make a trip to Colorado, there are still halfway decent shops in Denver and a couple of half way decent gun shows now and again, might be the best option, I don't know much about Wy or the gun shops there!
I'm a bit outta the loop too..my last was a home built $69 Romy kit ...
I have had a dozen or more over the years of many makes....can help with opinions if he gets some options narrowed down

I'd go with a Zastava if you want a good AK you intend on actually shooting and not just buying as an investment. I own many.
Yugos are solid. Especially with the heavier stamped receiver.
Agreed. Zastava is probably the best value in AKs right now.

People also rave about the Polish Beryl, but I have never handled one.

IMO stay away from Arsenal. If you want canted sights and gas ports out of spec there are much cheaper options. Once upon a time Arsenal were good but the last batch that came into the country have *very* poor QC. People are losing $4-$500 dumping them on Gunbroker.

Agreed. Zastava is probably the best value in AKs right now.

People also rave about the Polish Beryl, but I have never handled one.

IMO stay away from Arsenal. If you want canted sights and gas ports out of spec there are much cheaper options. Once upon a time Arsenal were good but the last batch that came into the country have *very* poor QC. People are losing $4-$500 dumping them on Gunbroker.
Interesting....my last Arsenal was '08ish...only complaint back then was meh paint they used for finish, build quality was great.

I don't even like AKs...but I like listening to Rob's accent. :D
He has a bunch of informative videos on his channels.
View: https://youtu.be/okvX52kRT-M

View: https://youtu.be/waL6JsrkXjQ

Edit to add: What about a 3pack covering all the bases? Good/OK/Bad?

1707946203163.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top