JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sitting at my tables for today's OAC gun show when my neighbor behind comes in to setup and begins dragging guns out on his table. Some interesting stuff, but a number of the long guns had been restored improperly with shiny wood, and over buffed, hot blued metal.
Then he opens up a handgun case and sets down a Starr percussion .44 and I ask to see it quickly before others started gathering to look. A guy grabs it before I can pick it up without asking, but looks it over, and lays it down, thank goodness! I looked it over, and it appeared unmolested. And although not much finish left, the patina is wonderful, and the gun was well cared for. The rifling is very deep, and not a sign of corrosion at all from BP. Grips are pretty nice for an 1863 revolver used in the Civil War, and still has inspector's stamps showing on both grip panels!
I asked the price, waiting for the gut check, and he quotes me a price about 1/3rd of what I usually see these selling for, so I bought it! It's a very low serial number, and appears to be within the first thousand made in 1863 from what I can decipher. They were made for the Union troops and only built from 1863-1865.
Doubt I'll ever shoot it, but knowing it went through the Civil War in some soldier's holster, and likely saw some action just tickles me to own it!

ksLeYUnl.jpg

These are neat revolvers for sure...a bit different in feel than a Colt or Remington.

Many were never issued during the War...but sold as surplus afterwards....
That being said...

Many units , that served in the West during the War , like the 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry were issued "Secondary Standard Arms" such as the Starr revolver .
Also both the 9th and 10th Cavalry were issued cap and ball revolvers , like the Starr and others , long after the War instead of the newer 1873 Colt SAA.

In any event...very cool revolver...enjoy it ...!
Andy

Thanks Andy!
With such a small number sold to the government I figured their use was pretty limited. I think Flayderman's stated maybe 25,000 were purchased for the War? Not sure how that compare to Colt and Remington, but Flayderman's puts Starr in 3rd place for pistol suppliers.

Thanks!
I go to every OAC show and most the time just to visit with other gun guys. But every once in awhile something cool appears to buy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top