JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
staplesbanner.jpg

A small Nebraska gun shop has decided to buy its ink pens and post-it notes somewhere else after they said Staples rejected their entry into a marketing contest because they are in the firearms business.

Travis Vonseggern and Bill Jackson own Maple Creek Gunsmithing in Fremont, Neb. The store offers gunsmithing, guns, ammo, and firearms training.

They recently entered the Staples PUSH It Forward Contest – hoping to win a $50,000 marketing campaign for their small business. But a few days later, the men received a rejection email:

"We're sorry, but your small business entry into the Staples PUSH It Forward Contest has been rejected for the following reason(s): Entry contains content that promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; promotes any particular political agenda or message; is obscene or offensive; or endorses any form of hate or hate group."

The email also stated that Staples "reserves the right to reject any entry that they deem is not in accordance with the official rules."

Jackson said he was shocked that Staples considered their business to be on par with drug dealers and criminals.

<broken link removed>

I checked on line chat with Victoria from Staples and she confirmed that firearms are right up there with hate speech.

Agent (Victoria): "I believe the rules on our current Facebook contest, do have exclusions. Any content that promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; prom"
otes any particular political agenda or message; is obscene or offensive; or endorses any form of hate or hate group
05/30/2013 05:23:42PM albert: "too bad that second amendment is considered a hate group.

I just called Maple Creek Gunsmithing and spoke with one of the owners. He said that the phone has been ringing like crazy all day with positive calls. He said that The Blaze and Fox News have picked up on the story. So we'll have to see what happens with that. I hope they get a huge rise in business.

He also said that they're not a small business, they're so small that they're a "micro" business. It's owned by two guys, both veterans. We spoke for a few minutes and I wished them well and let him know that they have support from others around the Country.

Unfortunate backfire for staples, the publicity and buzz they have created for this business is much greater than a bunch of flyers and business cards they would have received

Unfortunate backfire for staples, the publicity and buzz they have created for this business is much greater than a bunch of flyers and business cards they would have received

True, although I wish that we'd bought more from them before so that our not buying anything now would at least get noticed in a big way. Well, every little bit counts it's been said. Hope it adds up to something.

I just used their "Contact Us" form on their website to tell them why I, and my family nor business would ever shop in their stores again. Included the name of the gunshop too so they knew exactly what they had done. Also reminded them that the gunshop was Constitutionally protected, Federally and State licensed.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

caveman jim
Thanks for the heads up BSG75!!!
Added to my long list (which is growing longer) of companies who will never see another penny from my family.

I would love to see such a list. I hate the idea of accidently giving my money to anti American liberal companies.
someone should keep an ongoing post of anti American/2nd amendment companies.
make it the thread that never dies like "what did you do to prep today?"

I just used their "Contact Us" form on their website to tell them why I, and my family nor business would ever shop in their stores again. Included the name of the gunshop too so they knew exactly what they had done. Also reminded them that the gunshop was Constitutionally protected, Federally and State licensed.

Well, here's the answer I got back from Staples:
Hi Deen, thank you for your feedback.

We respect your opinion on this issue. Staples values all of our customers and supports small businesses everywhere. We will take your feedback into account as we design future contests.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond to your inquiry. I hope you will continue to look to Staples with confidence and satisfaction for all of your office supply needs.
If you would like to speak with one of our representatives, please reply to this email or contact us at the number listed below.

Bonnie
Customer Service Representative

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

I emailed them this morning and told them that their actions with regards to Maple Creek were despicable and thet they had no respect for the Constitution.

This is the reply I got a little while ago:

"Hi XXXXXX, thank you for your feedback.

We heard you! At Staples, we value all of our customers and appreciate your feedback. We now realize
the rules of our Push It Forward contest were too restrictive and kept out legitimate businesses.
Unfortunately, we can?t change the rules once the contest is underway. But we will revise our rules
to make sure future contests are more inclusive and reflect our commitment to helping all small
businesses.

Thank you for your feedback. I hope you will continue to look to Staples with confidence and
satisfaction for all of your office supply needs.

If you would like to contact one of our representatives, please reply to this email or call us at
the number listed below.

Samantha
Customer Service Representative"

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR