JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not saying killing the guy was a good idea, BUT when I'm 73 and a dude 30 years younger then me is texting and throwing popcorn or something else at me - I may not be in the physical condition to beat that guy to within an inch of the hospital.

Yea, the shooting was probably wrong "I don't know" - but it doesn't sound like the guy that got shot was a real sweet heart.

To be fair, it needs to be mentioned that as we age it's common to develope certain problems that can vary widely depending on the individual. Some get "twinges" others full-blown arthritis. Eyeglass prescriptions change. Hearing loss is common as are dietary changes and tolerances to cold or heat....
....s0unds like this guy has developed an usually severe case of S.L.O.B.I. (Senior Late-Onset Butthole Intolerance).

Last Edited:
Not saying killing the guy was a good idea, BUT when I'm 73 and a dude 30 years younger then me is texting and throwing popcorn or something else at me - I may not be in the physical condition to beat that guy to within an inch of the hospital.

Yea, the shooting was probably wrong "I don't know" - but it doesn't sound like the guy that got shot was a real sweet heart.

So let me get this straight... a 43-yr. old man was throwing popcorn at an elderly person? o_O

If you're doing that kind of stuff at THAT age... you get your deserves. :rolleyes:

LOL!!! Not saying it was right. I wouldn't do it.
But there's no law that says I can't enjoy it!!!:cool:

Thought process may have went something like, "This little plic is really annoying, I'm 73 and I have terminal dippladokas! What the heck! Sayonara Sonny!!!:D

Pouring a glass of milk over someone's head doesn't rise to the level of "assault" either, but someone was charged, convicted, and lost their gun rights over it.
without knowing the story behind that I have no way of knowing if that story has anything in common with the popcorn shooting. Do you have a link you can share?

without knowing the story behind that I have no way of knowing if that story has anything in common with the popcorn shooting. Do you have a link you can share?
I can't find it now, but it did happen.
The law defines simple assault as touching someone against their will with intent to do harm, of any kind. And that includes pouring something on them, or throwing a drink at them, even sans glass, if they opt for pressing charges.
I'm not trying to defend the cop for shooting someone over low velocity popcorn.
But regardless of what you *think* is okay to throw at someone, don't do it. Unless it's verbiage, and even then,...

I can't find it now, but it did happen.
The law defines simple assault as touching someone against their will with intent to do harm, of any kind. And that includes pouring something on them, or throwing a drink at them, even sans glass, if they opt for pressing charges.
I'm not trying to defend the cop for shooting someone over low velocity popcorn.
But regardless of what you *think* is okay to throw at someone, don't do it. Unless it's verbiage, and even then,...

Jamie6.5, thanks for clarifying, what you said about the definition of assault makes sense… I learned something, so if throwing popcorn is a form of assault the other party has a right to defend themselves and no one has to put up with bullying and harassment. The problem with the cop is he went beyond the reasonable man standard, as I understand it, that only the minimum amount of force required to stop the threat is justified. I also read (cant find the source) that the popcorn thrower was texting his daughter at home during the previews to check in one last time before the movie started, which triggered the cop to confront the man which started the argument. So if we add everything up it appears to equal murder. The cop started the fight, the cop used lethal force to defend against non-lethal assault (notice I called it assault)… this cop is a bad example of the CHL community and made us all look bad and Im a huge proponent of stand your ground laws but this case is not one of them.

For those of you you want to use the way back machine, there was video of the incident.

The movie had not yet started; not all the lights were out, so one security camera had an angle and got some of the interaction.

What I will be interested is the SYG part.

Lots of people brought that up with another FL idiot who keeps ending up in the news cycle, yet his case was not one of SYG.

Let us imagine that there was no gun drawn - that it stayed in the holster. Would the retired cop have had enough juice to get mister I'll do what I want as I paid my money to be here charged with assault for throwing the pop corn? I believe that it would qualify under the law, but most likely lives in that area where the prosecutor would be asking himself is this the best use of my resources.

Not every problem in life is a gun problem; not every problem is NOT a gun problem either.

Perhaps the retiree should have remembered the difference....

And the gentleman hurling the popcorn should have factored in that someone might react this way; as in "ya know! I live in a fee society where someone might have a gun and not appreciate how I acted toward them. Perhaps I should just STFU and watch my movie."

An armed society is a polite society...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top