JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

Literally my first post here! Brand new member. Thinking about building an SBR. Do I apply for the stamp first, then build? As I type that I'm realizing the legal implications of the reverse, but what is your experience? Thanks for having me aboard!!

You need the serialized part (receiver) before you apply. Then wait. And wait some more. Then build once your stamp goes through and it's in your hands.

Example: Buy an AR lower receiver. Apply for an SBR stamp with that receiver. Once you have your stamp, drop your upper on it and have fun. I have a 7.5" pistol upper that I might SBR with another finished rifle lower. I would need to apply with the rifle lower and not marry them together until I had the stamp.

If you want to build:

Step 1: Buy stripped lower
Step 2: Apply to BATFE for stamp
< wait - currently 7 month waiting period>
Step 3: Get lower engraved per BATFE specs.
Step 4: go play.

You can just let the lower sit, unbuilt, while waiting.
You can build the lower as a pistol lower while waiting. Just don't add a stock or vert. fore grip if the upper is less than 16".
You can build the lower as a rifle lower while waiting. Just don't add a less than 16" upper.

Hey all,

Literally my first post here! Brand new member. Thinking about building an SBR.

Neat-O. What are you going to build?

Do I apply for the stamp first, then build?

The form must be approved by the ATF before you create the SBR.

As I type that I'm realizing the legal implications of the reverse,

Indeed, don't want to got there.

but what is your experience

I've done Form 1 projects. Application and approval went smoothly and I built the SBR or SBS afterwards with no issues.

Thanks for having me aboard!!

Welcome aboard. :)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews